Reason: On 1.17 snapshots Sculk detection when jumping while sneaking
Jumping is done by pressing the jump key (which defaults to the space bar on PC) or the jump button on other devices (for example the 'A' button on Xbox). If auto-jump is on the player jumps whenever they brush up against the edge of a block.
- Jump height changes
Jumping normally lets the player climb up 11⁄4 block. Players with Jump Boost I are able to jump 115⁄16 block, and with Jump Boost II they are able to jump 21⁄2 blocks. The effect also increases more with more levels of Jump Boost.
Honey blocks make players jump 3⁄16 of a block from them, meaning that they get an 85% jumping reduction.
Jumping can be combined with sprinting to increase the player's movement speed. A single jump while sprinting costs four times as much hunger as a normal jump.
Most land-based mobs are able to jump when they are walking up blocks. However, they do not jump spontaneously, except in these cases:
- Illagers and witches when celebrating a successful raid
- Foxes, when attacking
- Spiders and cave spiders, when attacking
- Rabbits, as part of their normal movement
- Slimes and magma cubes, as a part of their normal movement
These mobs are able to walk up full-sized blocks without jumping:
- Horses and their variants
- Iron golems
- Striders, when ridden by the player
- Drowneds on land
- Jumping was one of the first transportation mechanics added.
- The longest possible distance a player can jump without effects is over 9 blocks, by sprint-jumping out of a 2-block-high ice corridor.
- The longest possible distance a player can jump with obtainable effects in survival is over 11 blocks. by using Potion of leaping, Swiftness and Slow falling combined with soul speed III boots on soul sand.
- The longest possible distance a player can jump without effects or ice is 5 blocks by just sprinting.
|Java Edition pre-Classic|
|Cave game tech test||Jumping was added.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Experience is now gained when the player is jumping.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Removed the ability of gaining experience when jumping.|
|1.9||15w45a||Player's jump height is increased from 1.125 blocks to 1.25 blocks.|
|1.11||16w32a||The exhaustion cost per jump has been decreased from 0.2 to 0.05.|
|The exhaustion cost per sprint-jump has been decreased from 0.8 to 0.2.|
|1.17||20w49a||Player's jump while sneaking ignores sculk sensors.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Pre-release||Jumping was added.|