This article's name is unofficial.
An official name is yet to be given to the subject matter. Please add an official name when reliable sources confirm it.
May 16, 2009
mc-161607 is a pre-Classic version of Minecraft (Java Edition), referred to by Notch as "minecraft alpha", that was released on May 16, 2009, at 16:07 UTC. This was the first version of Minecraft released for private testing.
- The URL for Minecraft was given to users dock and fartron for testing.
- Issues reported about this version were bad mouse movement and a lack of a Y-axis invert.
- "TigIRC logs" – Archive.org, May 16, 2009, UTC–4.
- TigIRC logs: (12:07:06) notch: minecraft alpha is available. I need someone on windows, someone on mac and someone on linux!
- "Early private singleplayer alpha coming very soon" (archived) – The Word of Notch, May 16, 2009.
- TigIRC logs: "(12:08:29) notch: awesome. urls pm'd."
- TigIRC logs: "(12:08:46) dock: the mouse movement is terrible" [...] "(12:09:16) dock: it barely moves, as though it is stuck, and then jerks" [...] "(12:11:55) dock: yeah the mouselook is pretty much unusable on mac"
- TigIRC logs: "(12:09:31) fartron: i don't have that problem but i need to invert the y axis" [...] "(12:09:39) fartron: or i will constantly walk into things"