November 13, 2011
|Release candidate for|
RC1 is the first release candidate for Java Edition 1.0.0 which was released on November 13, 2011, which adds durability to bows, sounds to some mobs, the player, tools and armor, adds some new splashes, and fixes some bugs.
- Added new splashes:
- "Made by Jeb!"
- "Has an ending!"
- "Finally complete!"
- "Feature packed!"
- "Boots with the fur!"
- "Stop, hammertime!"
- "Homeomorphic to a 3-sphere!"
- "Doesn't avoid double negatives!"
- "Place ALL the blocks!"
- "Does barrel rolls!"
- "Meeting expectations!"
- "PC gaming since 1873!"
- "Ghoughpteighbteau tchoghs!"
- "Déjà vu!"
- "Déjà vu!"[note 1]
- "Got your nose!"
- "Haley loves Elan!"
- "Afraid of the big, black bat!"
- "Doesn't use the U-word!"
- "Child's play!"
- "See you next Friday or so!"
- "From the streets of Södermalm!"
- "150 bpm for 400000 minutes!"
- "Funk soul brother!"
- "Pumpa kungen!"
- Changed redstone wire placement on one block from a "+" to a "•" shape.
- Now have a durability bar, with 385 uses.
- Can now hatch baby chickens.
- The "Quit Game" button now appears regardless of how the game is launched.
- Note that these changes apply to the assets to the game, and so apply to all previous versions back to Alpha as well.
- The arrow firing and thrown item (snowball, egg, fishing rod and eye of ender) sound was changed.
- The chest opening and closing now has its own sound, different from the door sound.
- Wooden and iron doors, trapdoors and fence gates' opening and closing sounds were changed.
- Experience orbs now make a twinkling sound when collected.
- Explosions now have several new, slightly differing sounds instead of just one.
- The entity damage sound has been changed to a genderless bone-cracking sound.
- Players and all mobs make the same bone-cracking sound when taking fall damage.
- Eating and drinking now have sounds.
- Blazes have been given an ambient breathing noise.
- Endermen now have their own sounds instead of using zombie sounds. 
- When they teleport, it sounds like a shortened version of the Nether portal sound.
- Magma cubes now make sounds.
- Silverfish now make sounds.
- Arrow landing was changed to a more twangy sound.
- Tools and armor now make a breaking sound, and have a breaking animation.
- Changed some splashes:
- "OpenGL 1.1!" to "OpenGL 1.2!".
- "Coming soon!" to "It's here!".
- "When it's finished!" to "It's finished!".
- "That's not a moon!" to "That's no moon!".
- "Absolutely dragon free!" to "Kind of dragon free!".
- "Superfragilisticexpialidocious!" to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!".
- "Tyrian would love it!" to "Tyrion would love it!".
- ""Noun" is an autonym!" to ""Autological" is!".
7 bugs fixed
- Error with the shadowing of the right side of blocks in the inventory is now fixed, being back to what it was in Beta 1.7.
- Fixed wooden door bug from Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6
- The "Particles" option no longer overlaps the warning when playing on far render distance with a 32-bit Java installation.
- Fixed the bug that caused the player's experience level to revert to 0 again after The End credits are finished from Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6.
- The full names of Scaevolus and Hippoplatimus are now used in the ending credits.
- The player can now chat while entering a portal in multiplayer.
- Obsidian's mining time was increased to 8 seconds from ~3 seconds in 1.9 Prerelease 6.
- When RC2 was initially uploaded, the changing of the version number to RC2 was forgotten, causing it to be displayed as RC1. This was later fixed in a reupload.
- As with RC2, RC1 was released on the latest calendar date out of all release candidates, on November 13.
- Duplicate intended.
- "Release candidate 1! Doors can be opened! New sfx! http://assets.minecraft.net/rc1/minecraft.jar ( + minecraft_server.jar)" – @jeb_ on Twitter, November 13, 2011
- "Forgot to change the version number to "RC2". We're professional. :D" – @notch on Twitter, November 13, 2011
- "Uploaded new RC2 that says "RC2" \o/" – @jeb_ on Twitter, November 13, 2011