Java Edition Indev 0.31 20091223-1
December 23, 2009
Client not archived
This is the first version of the Indev development cycle of Minecraft, and the first paid version of Minecraft (available at €5.00), as Notch released this version for paid users to test out new features.
- Has the player's shadows.
- All other mobs no longer spawn.
- Added dynamic lighting.
- There are 9 different light levels.
- Due to this, caves have now been made darker.
- Oddly, blocks in the inventory and hotbar are affected by lighting - upon generating a new world they appear dark, then go back to normal brightness after a while.
- Shadows appear below mobs.
- Changed shading on the sides of blocks.
- This version, as well as 20091223-2, is in Creative mode.
- Survival mode can be added back via modding as always, however.
- Survival mode[verify]
- The player now spawns with 99 stone slabs, stone, water blocks and lava blocks (leftover from an unreleased Indev 0.30 version)
- TNT was removed from hotbar.
- Removed Primed TNT, arrows, block drops and all mobs except Rana from the code.
- Blocks no longer drop items when mined.
- Attempting to fire arrows will not do anything.
- No survival build of this version was released, so these changes go unused, and can only be found via modding.
- Multiplayer was made partially inaccessible (although the multiplayer code still exists and can be re-enabled).
- New work-in-progress level format
- Level saving/loading no longer works.
- Flowers in the build screen are now shown with both sprites crossed.
- The player's fist no longer displays.
- Rain will now go through glass.
- The world is now generated as a Small size by default.
- Generating new world in a huge size sometimes causes a lot of Ranas to spawn close to the player, resulting in the game freezing for some time.
- Placing a block on a slab causes the space between to be completely dark.
- The top of the map is completely dark.
- Block breaking particles are pitch black.
- Placing a TNT block, and then destroying it, will cause the layer below to turn to wood, but only blocks made of the same material get replaced.
- This was intentional and was used by Notch to debug flooding.
- IRC logs on Archive.org; #minecraft.20091222.log. December 22, 2009 (UTC−5).
- Oh, ok! Here, play with a version! – The Word of Notch, December 23, 2009
- IRC logs: "P6:40:14 <�08Notch�> http://www.minecraft.net/indev/" (00:40 UTC)
- IRC logs: "P6:48:18 <Iguana> Plants and such look very squished in the inventory. :P" (00:48 UTC)
- IRC logs: "P6:57:25 <�08Notch�> oh yeah, I made it default to small while I was developing for quicker map regeneration times. =)" (00:57 UTC)
- IRC logs: "P6:45:39 <Snowman> Block breaking particles are pitch black" (00:45 UTC)
- Minecraft 0.31 Plank Glitch
- IRC logs: "P6:58:46 <�08Notch�> if you place tnt above ground and destroy it you can make roofs very fast" (00:58 UTC)