December 23, 2009
Client not archived
This is the first version of the Indev development cycle of Minecraft, and the first paid version of Minecraft (available at €5.00), as Notch released this version for paid users to test out new features.
- Has the player's shadows.
- All other mobs no longer spawn.
- Added dynamic lighting.
- There are 9 different light levels.
- Due to this, caves have now been made darker.
- Oddly, blocks in the inventory and hotbar are affected by lighting - upon generating a new world they appear dark, then go back to normal brightness after a while.
- Shadows appear below mobs.
- Changed shading on the sides of blocks.
- Placing a TNT block, and then destroying it, will cause the layer below to turn to wood, but only blocks made of the same material get replaced. This was used by Notch to debug flooding.
- This version, as well as 20091223-2, is in Creative mode.
- Survival mode can be added back via modding as always, however.
- Survival mode[verify]
- The player now spawns with 99 stone slabs, stone, water blocks and lava blocks (leftover from an unreleased Indev 0.30 version)
- TNT was removed from hotbar.
- Removed Primed TNT, arrows, block drops and all mobs except Rana from the code.
- Blocks no longer drop items when mined.
- Attempting to fire arrows will not do anything.
- No survival build of this version was released, so these changes go unused, and can only be found via modding.
- Multiplayer was made partially inaccessible (although the multiplayer code still exists and can be re-enabled).
- New work-in-progress level format
- Level saving/loading no longer works.
- Flowers in the build screen are now shown with both sprites crossed.
- The player's fist no longer displays.
- Rain will now go through glass.
- The world is now generated as a Small size by default.
- Grass no longer spreads.
- Particles fall at the normal speed again.[verify]
- Generating new world in a huge size sometimes causes a lot of Ranas to spawn close to the player, resulting in the game freezing for some time.
- Placing a block on a slab causes the space between to be completely dark.
- The top of the map is completely dark.
- Block breaking particles are pitch black.
- IRC logs on Archive.org; #minecraft.20091222.log. December 22, 2009 (UTC−5).
- Oh, ok! Here, play with a version! – The Word of Notch, December 23, 2009
- IRC logs: "P6:40:14 <�08Notch�> http://www.minecraft.net/indev/" (00:40 UTC)
- Minecraft 0.31 Plank Glitch
- IRC logs: "P6:58:46 <�08Notch�> if you place tnt above ground and destroy it you can make roofs very fast" (00:58 UTC)
- IRC logs: "P6:48:18 <Iguana> Plants and such look very squished in the inventory. :P" (00:48 UTC)
- IRC logs: "P6:57:25 <�08Notch�> oh yeah, I made it default to small while I was developing for quicker map regeneration times. =)" (00:57 UTC)
- IRC logs: "P6:45:39 <Snowman> Block breaking particles are pitch black" (00:45 UTC)