July 12, 2009
0.0.23a_01 is a version of Classic released on July 12, 2009, at 14:35 UTC. It is the last version of Multiplayer Test. This version is not available in the launcher, but has been archived elsewhere.
- Added a keymapping to control render distance.
- Players can once again press F to toggle render distance.
- Notch planned to refactor the version naming system after this version, removing the second zero and the "a", becoming the format "<major version>.<release number>[_<patch number>]". As an example, since this was the most recent version at the time, "0.0.23a_01" would be called "0.23_01" with such a system. However, this version was never actually given this name outside of this example.
- This format was also used somewhat in Beta.
A world with human mobs.
- IRC logs on Archive.org; #minecraft.20090711.log. July 11, 2009 (UTC−5).
- "Changing the version system" – The Word of Notch, July 15, 2009
- "There are a lot of cool things like this on" – The Word of Notch, July 12, 2009
- IRC logs: "A9:34:54 <08Notch> ok, _01 will be up in a minute or two" (14:34:54)
- IRC logs: "A9:32:05 <08Notch> moving it to an F-key, though [...] well, I could just make it mappable.." (14:32:05 UTC)
- IRC logs: "A9:39:26 <CheeToS> yay, thank you for putting the f key back" (14:39:26 UTC)
- "Embrace the Past with Minecraft Classic" by Tom Stone. Minecraft.net, May 7, 2019