October 27, 2011
Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5 is the fifth pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on October 27, 2011, which adds several new achievements and controls, changes some mobs and the texture of some blocks, and fixes some bugs.
- Several new achievements added.
- Overkill: Deal nine hearts of damage in a single hit
- Enchanter: Use a book, obsidian and diamonds to construct an enchantment table
- Librarian: Build some bookshelves to improve your enchantment table
- DIAMONDS!: Acquire diamonds with your iron tools
- We Need to Go Deeper: Build a portal to the Nether
- The End?: Locate the End
- The End.: Defeat the Ender Dragon
- Local Brewery: Brew a potion
- Into Fire: Relieve a Blaze of its rod
- Return to Sender: Destroy a Ghast with a fireball
- Debug controls (from the pre-re-uploaded version of Beta 1.8 Pre-release):
- F9: Freezes the camera in its current position.
- F6: While also turning back time, enables a strange "bouncy" movement. It locks the player's y coordinate (meaning they cannot jump or fall). It makes the player accelerate relatively slowly when moving. Additionally, the player can also clip into blocks slightly - at a high enough speed, the player can push all the way through a block. Transparent blocks have no clipping whatsoever.
- N and M: Changes the view's rotation clockwise and anti-clockwise, respectively. Hold both keys simultaneously resets the rotation.
- Y and H: Decreases and increases the field of view, respectively. These keys seem to affect the field of view differently to how the FOV option does - the player's hand (or anything the player is holding) will also become stretched as the field of view increases or decreases, which does not happen if the player changes the FOV option in the menu. Holding both keys simultaneously resets the field of view.
- I: Makes the player look up, J looks left, K looks down, and L looks right. These movements are normally done by moving the mouse. This setting cannot be reset by holding any keys simultaneously.
- U and O: Moves the third-person camera forwards and backwards, respectively. This setting cannot be reset by holding both keys simultaneously.
- Scrolling the mouse wheel (which also scrolls the selected slot in the hotbar) rotates the forward, left, right, and back directions.
- In creative mode, using an empty bucket will no longer fill it up when removing fluids with it.
- Fence post selection boxes now resemble their collision boxes.
- Now flowing downwards creates source blocks, instead of flowing water.
- Hostile mobs act neutral in creative mode.
- Entity punch range in creative mode reduced, as a result.
- Now have a new dying animation even though they still do not spawn.
- Their health has been changed to 1 to test this.
- Now spawn on levels 0-40 rather than 0-16, making them much more common.
- The version number once again displays on the top-left of the screen.
- Selecting an enchanted item no longer causes the hotbar to glow white.
- Video settings
- Added an option to turn off clouds.
8 bugs fixed
- Monster spawners could not be collected with a pickaxe enchanted with Silk Touch.
- Mycelium and end stone are now available in the creative inventory list.
- The step on stairs is properly lit.
- Lily pads now have the correct coloration in the inventory and have a name tag.
- End stone now has a name tag (previously "unnamed").
- Melons once again drop the correct number of slices.
- Data error when attempting to block with an enchanted sword fixed, blocking with enchanted sword now possible.
- Baby animals now work in multiplayer.