Java Edition Beta 1.4
March 31, 2011
- Was an April Fools' gag.
- It linked to the 'Minecraft Store', but the link has since been removed.
- Could not be broken except for explosions.
- Randomly generates in the world if the date is set to April 1st.
- New food item.
- Heals the player for 0.5 hearts.
- Can be stacked up to 8, making it the first stackable food item.
- New neutral mob.
- Players can tame wolves.
- When killed, wolves will drop nothing.
- Sleeping in a bed now resets spawn position, though does not work for most users.
- At the moment the spawn point unintentionally only changes if "Leave bed" is clicked and the function is limited to multiplayer.
- Sneaking while climbing will hang on to the ladder, thus being a handy cave tool.
- Now grows more quickly.
- Can now spawn with pink or brown wool (very rare, however).
- Will no longer trample crops.
- Have their walking sounds removed.
- Lots of infrastructure has been implemented.
- The new default hotkey for the inventory is E.
- Servers can now have a new world seeded with an option in the server.properties file.
- Scale of UI may now be changed in options.txt located in the .minecraft folder.
- Lots of infrastructure for statistics lists have been implemented.
4 bugs fixed
- Zombies and spiders now hurt you in all instances (previously could only hurt the player if they were 1 block above their location).
- Client-sided slime spawn on multiplayer has been fixed.
- Arm no longer swings when player cannot place a block.
- Opening and closing the inventory quickly while swinging no longer removes the character 'swinging' animation, which previously made destroying blocks faster. (Multiplayer only).
Beta 1.4 was reuploaded around an hour and a half after its initial release. The later version removed a small unused section of code added in the initial version which tracks the player's walking distance in memory, presumably testing code accidentally left in the game for Beta 1.5, which added statistics – namely, a statistic that tracks how many meters the player has walked.