Java Edition Alpha v1.2.0
October 30, 2010
Alpha v1.2.0, also known as the Halloween Update, was released with server 0.2.2 on October 30, 2010, adding the Nether along with new Nether-exclusive mobs and blocks. It also added fishing, a new terrain generator, and other changes and fixes. This version is listed in the launcher, but only Alpha v1.2.0_02 is downloaded instead.
- Craftable item that tells the time.
- When one pigman is attacked all nearby pigmen will retaliate and attack the player.
- Hold gold swords.
- New terrain generator, featuring biomes.
- A biome with sand and cacti. Ice Deserts can also be found in the code, but they're unused.
- A cold biome with snow and ice. There's barely any trees as well.
- Added new music tracks and sound effects.
- Added new splashes:
- Slow acting portals!
- Try the Nether!
- Don't look directly at the bugs!
- Oh, ok, Pigmen!
- Finally with ladders!
- Now face the same direction as the player when placed.
- Are now darker in shade, and their color is now dependent on temperature/humidity values.
- Higher lighting values are required the deeper they are to keep mobs from spawning.
- Now have new sounds.
- Now hold bows.
- Completely removed from mob spawning code.
- Fake chunks generate in the Far Lands.
- Sunrise now creates a red glow at the horizon.
- Pressing F1 hides the HUD and the view-model from the person's view. In third person mode, pressing F1 will create a view looking back at the player's own face.
- Removed Winter Mode.
- Due to the removal of winter mode and therefore snow, it no longer becomes visually distorted at great heights.