October 30, 2010
Alpha v1.2.0, also known as the Halloween Update, is a major update to Minecraft. It was released with server 0.2.2 on October 30, 2010, adding the Nether along with new Nether-exclusive mobs and blocks. It also added fishing, a new terrain generator, and other changes and fixes. This version is listed in the launcher, but only Alpha v1.2.0_02 is downloaded instead.
- Craftable item that tells the time.
- When one pigman is attacked all nearby pigmen will retaliate and attack the player.
- Hold gold swords.
- New terrain generator, featuring biomes.
- A biome with sand and cacti. Ice Deserts can also be found in the code, but they're unused.
- A cold biome with snow and ice. There's barely any trees as well.
- Added new music tracks and sound effects.
- Added new splashes:
- Slow acting portals!
- Try the Nether!
- Don't look directly at the bugs!
- Oh, ok, Pigmen!
- Finally with ladders!
- Now face the same direction as the player when placed.
- Are now darker in shade, and their color is now dependent on temperature/humidity values.
- The player "ough" sound no longer plays when the player takes damage [needs checking]
- Higher lighting values are required the deeper they are to keep mobs from spawning.
- Now have new sounds.
- Now hold bows.
- Completely removed from mob spawning code.
- Fake chunks spawn at 32,000,000 blocks instead of the void.
- They cannot be interacted with.
- They are not solid.
- Lighting stops working.
- Trees, flowers, grass, and dungeons cut off.
- Sunrise now creates a red glow at the horizon.
- Pressing F1 hides the HUD and the view-model from the person's view. In third person mode, pressing F1 will create a view looking back at the player's own face.
- Removed Winter Mode.
- Due to the removal of winter mode and therefore snow, it no longer becomes visually distorted at great heights.