November 3, 2021
21w44a is the eighth and final snapshot for Java Edition 1.18, released on November 3, 2021, which improved the upgrading of old worlds, introduced new options, made some tweaks, and fixed bugs. It is also the final snapshot of 2021.
- Upgrading of old worlds
- Caves are now inserted under existing chunks when upgrading a world to the new world height.
- Deepslate and the bedrock layer currently don't generate due to a bug.
- Large biomes and amplified worlds now have an upgrade path, and retain more of their characteristics when upgraded to the new terrain system.
- Added Online Options as a separate screen:
- The "Realms Notifications" option has been moved to this screen.
- Contains the new "Allow Server Listings" option.
- When deactivated, the player name will not show up in server online player listings.
- Contains the new "Server Difficulty" option, to indicate the difficulty of the current server.
hide-online-players, which when set to "True", will not send a player list on status requests.
- Added following block tags to decide the corresponding creatures to spawn:
- Contains Grass Block.
- Contains Clay.
- Contains Mycelium.
- Contains Ice.
- All 50 Overworld biomes are now required to be visited for the Adventuring Time advancement, including the following biomes which were previously not required:
- Now the gradual transition from stone starts at height between Y=0 to Y=8, rather than Y=-8 to Y=0 previously.
- JFR profiling
- If it is started from an external source, the JFR events for network packets are now aggregated instead of one event per packet.
- Simulation distance
- Blocks and fluids are now also affected.
- Increased the lower limit for simulation distance from 2 chunks to 5 chunks.
- Optimized entity collisions.
- 28 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.18
- MC-63340 – Sleeping always resets time until rain.
- MC-170551 – Foxes can't spawn on podzol or coarse dirt.
- MC-187716 – Nether biome surface builder types incorrectly assume the world height is 128 blocks.
- MC-190285 – "
bedrock_roof_position" tag number does not represent height, but height modifier.
- MC-200494 – In mineshafts, torches can generate attached to blocks other than the wooden supports.
- MC-216432 – Mineshafts can generate with light but without any torches.
- MC-216561 – Torches not spawning in abandoned mineshafts under Y=0.
- MC-238877 – Deep ocean and ocean are not needed for the "Adventuring Time" advancement.
- MC-238966 – Old growth spruce taiga and old growth birch forest aren't a part of the "Adventuring Time" advancement.
- MC-238968 – Windswept gravelly hills and windswept savanna aren't a part of the "Adventuring Time" advancement.
- From the 1.18 development versions
- MC-236701 – New mountain biomes don't count towards "Adventuring Time" advancement.
- MC-236938 –
/jfr stopoutput does not have a link.
- MC-237986 – Mobs specific to structures aren't spawning in their structures.
- MC-238062 – Foxes and wolves don't spawn in groves.
- MC-238761 – Adventuring Time does not account for the new cave biomes.
- MC-238900 – Values of
Infinityin noise settings in default worldgen.
- MC-238912 – Powder snow strips can't generate exposed to the surface.
- MC-238962 – Icebergs go all the way to ocean floor.
- MC-239280 – Withers do not move down to follow the player when the wither's health is half or lower.
- MC-239344 – All torches in mineshafts are facing the wrong way.
- MC-239359 – Wither skeletons can only spawn on nether bricks.
- MC-239689 – The "amplified" boolean in noise settings does nothing.
- From the previous development version
- MC-239854 – Nether and caves world is missing bedrock.
- MC-239858 – Nether decorations can be generated on the original bedrock layer.
- MC-239866 – Terrain shaper in
noise_settingsis not used.
- MC-239876 – Maps appear gray when opened in old terrain after conversion.
- MC-239882 – Beacons deactivate when upgrading worlds.
- MC-239902 – Weather effects appear in caves and structures in 1.17.1 worlds loaded in 21w43a.
Videos made by slicedlime:
- "Minecraft Snapshot 21w44a" – Minecraft.net, November 3, 2021