Java Edition 21w11a
March 17, 2021
21w11a is the fourteenth snapshot for Java Edition 1.17 released on March 17, 2021, which fixes numerous bugs, many of which are relating to textures and rendering issues as well as adds new mechanics related to copper.
- Added F3 + L shortcut to generate and persist performance metrics from in-game, similar to
- Metrics are saved in .minecraft/debug/profiling/<timestamp>.zip.
- Added the
- Added the
- Contains all pickaxes.
- Breaking by hand, piston, or other means now drops 2 amethyst shards instead of dropping none.
- Breaking with any pickaxe can now be used to drop 4 amethyst shards instead of an iron pickaxe or higher.
- Breaking the stem now drops the block.
- Now can be bonemealed on the stem to make the dripleaf grow.
- Honeycomb can now be used to wax them, to match Bedrock Edition.
- Yellow particles are formed when waxing the block.
- Using a dispenser with honeycomb waxes them, matching Bedrock Edition.
- Axes can now be used to scrape off wax and oxidation (one stage at a time).
- White particles are formed when scraping off wax from the block.
- Lightning now may clean oxidation, reverting the oxidation process by one or several stages.
- Chances of cleaning and number of reverted stages are higher the closer to the struck block.
- Waxed copper blocks can be crafted into 4 copper ingots, to match Bedrock Edition.
- Changed potion icon in the brewing stand GUI to reflect the new bottle texture in the Texture Update.
- Removed some stray pixels from the GUI texture.
- Renamed the parts from "cave vines head" and "cave vines body" to "cave vines" and "cave vines plant", respectively.
- The IDs have also changed.
- Now all parts give a light level of 14.
- Previously, only the bottom-most part gave level 14; others gave only 10.
- Now slow down the player.
- Can now be climbed.
- The texture has changed.
- Bone meal can no longer be used on it if it has no blocks to spread to.
- Can now be used on a composter.
- Changed part of the dirt of the side texture of snowy grass to match regular grass.
- Now renders randomly offset from the center.
- Removing the support block for it no longer allows it to float.
- Can now be waterlogged.
- Now turns completely white when struck by lightning.
- Now has a new block state: powered, used to determine whether the rod turns completely white when struck by lightning.
- Now emits particles when in contact with rain.
- Can be combined with cobblestone or stone bricks to make the mossy versions of those blocks.
- Vines can still be used, in addition to moss blocks.
- In addition to axes, hoes are now an appropriate tool to collect it.
- Changed one pixel on the pumpkin's top texture to remove the possibility for a small swastika to be displayed.
- Changed the textures of acacia, birch, dark oak, jungle, oak, and spruce signs to reflect new textures in the Texture Update.
- The facing direction of small dripleaf is now determined by which direction the player is facing when placing it.
- Changed the top texture of the smoker.
- Removing the support block for it no longer allows it to float.
- No longer causes suffocation.
- Mobs can no longer spawn on top of it.
- Changed the texture of the jungle door item to reflect the block texture in the Texture Update.
- Fired spectral arrows are now entirely golden to reflect the item texture in the Texture Update.
- Changed the texture of the siamese cat type, mostly brightening it.
- Removed some stray pixels from the texture file.
- Moved the librarian top overlay texture to correct side of torso.
- Changed the back texture to reflect the planks texture in the Texture Update.
- Tweaked the cave sizes.
- Reduced the amount of floating water in lush caves.
- Slightly increased the frequency of diamond ore blobs.
- If any ore replaces tuff, it will now be deepslate ore.
- Frozen hearts now have a different texture in Hardcore mode to reflect the regular heart texture.
- Added subtitles for amethyst blocks chiming.
- Added subtitles for waxing and removing wax from copper blocks.
- These are "Wax on" and "Wax off", but are not triggered in-game.
- Changed the subtitles for stripping logs and wood from "Axe scrapes" to "Axe strips".
- "Axe scrapes" is now used for copper blocks. However, it is not triggered in-game.
- Added cave vines and cave vines plant to the
- Added tuff to the
- Added tinted glass to the
- Removed tuff from the
- 128 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.17
- MC-1483 – Snow covered grass/podzol/mycelium block side texture does not match original block.
- MC-9591 – Players are able to create ghost lily pads.
- MC-12363 – Lava / water / powder snow bucket desync when using it while rapidly turning.
- MC-70850 – False negatives during occlusion culling.
- MC-71530 – Spectators can't see through lava.
- MC-86645 – Scroll bar goes higher than chat overlay.
- MC-145501 – Librarian and zombie librarian torso top texture is incorrect.
- MC-150054 – Spectral arrow texture on item and entity aren't consistent.
- MC-150784 – Brewing Stand bottle outline incorrect.
- MC-154006 – Overworld wood signs use the outdated wood texture on all sides.
- MC-160195 – Jungle door inventory texture is outdated.
- MC-160388 – Painting back texture has not been updated with the texture update.
- MC-169717 – Blocks in recipe book groups are rendered in front of item tooltips.
- MC-195806 – Smoker's top and bottom textures have inconsistently colored pixels.
- MC-197561 – Carved pumpkins and jack o'lanterns create swastikas.
- MC-197883 – Jigsaw Structures causing
- MC-198805 – Floating pixel in the tailfin of a guardian/elder guardian.
- MC-202186 – Houses in Zombie Villages disappear when spawned using
- MC-202760 –
area_effect_clouddoes not enforce a maximum radius.
- MC-212123 – Player lighting is inconsistent in the inventory and appears darker on the front.
- MC-214568 – Setting a lectern on fire causes z-fighting.
- MC-216227 – Sugar cane item texture is no longer accurate from 13w36a forward.
- From the 1.17 development versions
- MC-203554 –
block.amethyst_block.chimehas no subtitle.
- MC-203561 – Amethyst crystal cluster drops items when block is moved directly by a piston without actually breaking the block.
- MC-203623 – Inconsistency: Breaking amethyst crystals with hands doesn't drop the item, but breaking the block they are placed on drops them.
- MC-203676 – Tinted Glass suffocates entities inside of it.
- MC-203753 – Spyglass use statistic never increases.
- MC-203918 – Mobs can spawn on tinted glass.
- MC-204016 – When filling a lava/powder snow cauldron with lava/powder snow, it is placed on the ground instead of in the cauldron.
- MC-204115 – Pushing an amethyst cluster off of a block with a 1-tick pulse using a sticky piston doesn't drop any items.
- MC-204862 – Tinted glass is not included in the
- MC-205913 – Lightning rod can spawn skeleton horses with skeletons.
- MC-206588 – Blocks dripstone can be attached to are inconsistent.
- MC-206787 – World Border is rendered upside down.
- MC-206805 – World border texture moves up and down with the player.
- MC-207557 – Frozen hearts in hardcore mode look identical to frozen hearts in survival mode.
- MC-208295 – Moving water with a piston and amethyst cluster.
- MC-211513 – Trident returning to owner not in the same world can cause permanent player kick.
- MC-212226 – Bone Meal can still be used on a Glow Lichen when it is unable to grow.
- MC-212410 – Cannot compost glow lichen.
- MC-213269 – Waxed Copper Block cannot be crafted back into ingots.
- MC-213271 – Parity issue: Copper blocks cannot be waxed by either using honeycomb items on them or using dispensers with honeycombs.
- MC-213583 – Crash upon importing world generation settings with over 256 layers.
- MC-213743 – Spectators can't see through powder snow.
- MC-213764 – Removing the block supporting a spore blossom allows the spore blossom to float.
- MC-213765 – Cave vine blocks are inconsistent in ID from other similar blocks.
- MC-213768 – Removing the support block for hanging roots allows it to float.
- MC-213778 – Cave vines cannot be climbed.
- MC-213782 – Cave vines do not slow you down like other vines.
- MC-213798 – Cave vines head and body emit different light levels.
- MC-213816 – Hanging roots don't get destroyed by flowing water.
- MC-213886 – Bone meal cannot be used on dripleaf stems.
- MC-213911 – Cave vines body and cave vines head share the same name.
- MC-213980 – Moss appropriate tool is axe rather than hoe.
- MC-214290 – Crash upon importing world generation settings with a layer that is less than 0 blocks high.
- MC-214868 – Big dripleaf won't drop the item if the top is underwater.
- MC-214951 – Superflat worlds start generating at negative coordinates, causing a dark horizon.
- MC-215036 – Snow layers in "Snowy Kingdom" superflat preset generate 64 blocks above the ground.
- MC-215384 – Azaleas cannot be used as a fuel.
- MC-215417 – Sky going dark y level ignores data pack dimension y axis limits (
- MC-216018 – Redstone Ready and Water World presets have the default spawn point at wrong Y-level.
- MC-216134 – Gilded blackstone texture does not match the new side texture of blackstone.
- MC-216184 – Player takes no fall damage on blocks above Y=316.
- MC-216737 – When replacing tuff, ores still generate with a "stone" background below Y=0.
- MC-216945 – Teams become dysfunctional when any entity leaves the team.
- MC-216965 – Flat "slices" of terrain generating in cracks.
- MC-217303 – Potential optimization target in
- MC-217546 –
stat.fallOneCmis not updated when falling onto a block above Y=316.
- MC-217802 – Some blocks generate at wrong Y height in a superflat world.
- From the previous development version
- MC-218587 – Lightning rod still can't be waterlogged.
- MC-218594 – Debug chunk borders don't render properly.
- MC-218596 – Debug pie is blacked out.
- MC-218597 – Water has no fog anymore.
- MC-218603 – Screen turns dark grey when switching dimension.
- MC-218604 – Hanging roots can generate hanging on other hanging roots, making them float.
- MC-218609 – Mipmapping causes some block faces to become too dark.
- MC-218610 – Banners are unimpacted by light levels.
- MC-218626 – Cannot enchant items.
- MC-218633 – Smooth lighting has brighter outlines.
- MC-218635 – With fast graphics, the freezing overlay renders black, and covers the whole screen black in first person.
- MC-218640 – Broken spyglass overlay on fast graphics.
- MC-218641 – Red vignette shown when outside the world border is too intense.
- MC-218645 – The carved pumpkin overlay turns the screen completely black when using fast graphics.
- MC-218652 – The green nausea overlay no longer renders.
- MC-218653 – Glowing effect no longer changes to team color.
- MC-218655 – Floating water generates excessively in lush caves.
- MC-218660 – The nether portal overlay no longer renders, whilst using fast graphics.
- MC-218695 – Shulkers do not flash red when hurt or killed.
- MC-218712 – Debug pie has purple box when moving an enchanted item.
- MC-218713 – Right clicking to open alternate recipes does not show the recipes.
- MC-218729 – Noise cave entrances cause unnatural, smooth edges in terrain.
- MC-218734 – Caves generate with very blocky areas.
- MC-218748 – At sunset, a blue line appears in the northern and southern skies.
- MC-218753 – Ambient occlusion of the player seen in the survival inventory has changed.
- MC-218765 – Glowing effect no longer renders around translucent pixels.
- MC-218793 – Two white lines appear on the Mojang loading screen.
- MC-218817 – Cave Vines can generate without supporting blocks.
- MC-218825 – M1 ARM Macs crash when using Fabulous Graphics mode as was the case in older versions, but no lack of support warning is shown.
- MC-218830 – World border is white.
- MC-218834 – You can see block hitboxes very clearly under powder snow/lava.
- MC-218845 – Mojang logo screen flashes blue before changing to red.
- MC-218852 – World border is occasionally shown as a solid color upon being loaded.
- MC-218877 – The red flash when a mob is hurt/killed appears to be slightly dimmed.
- MC-218881 – When selecting text in the end, the sky gets highlighted.
- MC-218911 – The background of hover-event text becomes blue when text is selected in an anvil or chat.
- MC-218945 – Spyglass has a gradient effect while freezing.
- MC-218979 – Cave ceilings and floors sometimes too flat or blocky.
- MC-218988 – Fire is rendered dark in the player/horse/llama UI.
- MC-218990 – Transparency buffers start with blue background instead of empty background.
- MC-219002 – The wither's wither armor has a blue aura around it.
- MC-219006 – The background opacity of subtitles and chat, are affected by a potion effect UI fading out.
- MC-219014 – Charged creeper layer makes clouds and entities invisible.
- MC-219036 – World border is shown as a solid color when picking up items or experience orbs.
- MC-219039 – World border does not render when below the world.
- MC-219049 – Reloading resource packs no longer shows the progress bar while the transparent background is shown.
- MC-219105 – Entity hitboxes can be seen whilst inside of powder snow/lava.
- MC-219108 – Chat scroll bar is offset.
- MC-219111 – Social interactions scroll bar appears broken.
- MC-219126 – Spyglass allows looking through blocks.
- MC-219155 – Cast fishing line is disconnected from the rod.
- MC-219180 – Slime blocks, honey blocks, stained glass, and ice are fully lit when moved by pistons.
- MC-219208 – Using enchanted items allows looking through blocks.
- MC-219212 – Entity shadows can be seen whilst inside of powder snow/lava.
- MC-219224 – The background opacity of command syntax help is affected when highlighting text.
- MC-219278 – Being inside of a block no longer shows the block texture.
- MC-219281 – Dying ender dragon is rendered too bright.
- MC-219392 – Lead/fishing line is no longer affected by the fog from powder snow/lava.
- MC-219597 – End portal and end gateway textures expand as the player travels further from the block.
Videos made by slicedlime:
- This version has the same data version as Combat Test 7b, even though these versions should not be compatible with each other.
- "Minecraft Snapshot 21w11a" – Minecraft.net, March 17, 2021