May 3, 2012
12w18a is the fourth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
This snapshot is known for being the version to make singleplayer worlds run on a local server, resulting in the introduction of server lag to singleplayer, as well as the large number of features broken by this, several of which are yet to be fixed in the latest version.
- Wood logs now have their proper names (e.g. Oak Wood).
- Wood planks now have their proper names (e.g. Spruce Wood Planks).
- Stone bricks now have their proper names (e.g. Mossy Stone Bricks).
- Game no longer pauses when writing in a book. Whether this applies to book and quills is unknown.
- Cocoa beans are now obtainable in jungle tree leaves.
- Game no longer pauses when writing in a sign.
- Wooden tools work in furnaces as one full furnace use.
- Villagers spawned from spawning eggs will get a random profession.
- The 1⁄4 second (5 tick) delay between block breaking has been removed for players in survival. The player can now instantly mine a large amount of blocks in survival simply by holding destroy if conditions are met.
- Hardcore is now available in multiplayer.
- Separated server logic and client, therefore singleplayer is now a local server.
- Game no longer pauses when entering a command or pausing the game.
- F3 Debug screen
- Coordinates are now rounded to 5 digits.
- "ws", "fs" and "g" (Walking speed, flying speed and ground; "g" is true if the player is touching the ground).
- Updated language files.
- Splash "Mojang" screen now appears for 1 second instead of 3.
- Support and auto-download for server texture packs.
- Features broken by the internal server
Many features were broken or significantly changed due to the client-server split, many of which still remain absent from the game to this day almost nine whole years later.
- The particles from adding an eye of ender to an end portal frame block will no longer appear offset if performed at high distances from the world origin.
- This is due to the fact that they simply did not appear at all from this snapshot onwards, which is
- This bug resurfaced in Java Edition 19w14a when the aforementioned absent particles bug was fixed.
4 bugs fixed
- Fixed being unable to switch tools of the same kind in your inventory.
- Fixed water destroying non-solid blocks when breaking them from above.
- Fixed picking a block in creative with a tool in your hand causing you to lose it.
- Fixed Silk Touch giving you only one slab from double slabs.
- In this version, when loading a single player world, one needs to put "minecraft.zip/server/minecraft_server.jar" into ".minecraft/server" manually to continue loading.