April 3, 2014
1.7.6-pre1 is the first pre-release for Java Edition 1.7.6.
- Skins and capes are now distributed through servers.
- Skins server outages will occur less frequently and have less impact.
- Skin changes will no longer require client restarting, at worst re-logging will update the skin for everybody.
- Server-altered skins/capes are not possible - only signed URLs are stored server-side.
- Duplicate skins no longer need to be downloaded twice.
- Server traffic will barely be affected.
- Name Changing
- Added support for name changing.
- The Server Resource Packs option is now per-server, and has three settings: Prompt, Enabled, and Disabled.
- The minimum setting for the FOV option is now 30 instead of 70.
- 5 issues fixed
- From releases before 1.7.2
- MC-33086 – Save-all causes lagspikes on larger maps.
- From 1.7.2
- MC-31468 – Holes in bedrock and Replaced any block using Arbitrary tnt and flame bows.
- From 1.7.4
- MC-48826 – "replace" directive in sounds.json does not work.
- From earlier released 1.8 development versions
- MC-47723 – Broadcast settings - report to Mojang, links to previous bug reporting facility.
- From 1.7.5
- MC-51953 – Almost instant motion sickness due to distorted rendering.
- 1.7.6-pre1 is the first pre-release which uses the new naming convention, version-pren. Previous versions incremented the minor version number instead of the pre-release counter.
- This version was previously removed from the launcher for some time, but was added back in September 2018.
- "Rewriting how skins/capes are distributed. Servers will download the info from us and redistribute it clients, should be much more stable!" – @Dinnerbone on Twitter, January 13, 2014
- "It basically means that skins shouldn't go down as much (if they do it won't matter as much too), and changing your skin is more instant." – @Dinnerbone on Twitter, January 13, 2014
- Minecraft snapshot 14w10a; Mojang.com - March 6, 2014