Pre-release: December 17, 2012
1.4.6 is an update to Minecraft (Java Edition) that was released on December 20, 2012. It introduced fireworks, enchanted books and the Thorns enchantment. It also added a warning for users playing on soon-to-be unsupported systems (PowerPC and Java 5). While it was not the last update to 1.4, it was the last one before the snapshots of 1.5 started.
A pre-release version of 1.4.6 was released on December 17, 2012; this pre-release version was later re-uploaded to fix an issue with mobs spinning. The release version of 1.4.6 differs from the reuploaded pre-release by fixing a crash issue.
- Crafted using nether bricks.
- Enchant books to receive a single enchantment on them.
- Can be applied to items using anvils, consuming the book.
- Enchants can be applied to any item in Creative mode.
- Sold by villagers and found in dungeon and village chests.
- Can now be found in loot chests and by trading with villagers.
- Unbreaking can be applied to anything with durability.
- Efficiency and Silk Touch can be applied to shears, allowing the harvesting of cobwebs.
- Sharpness, Smite, and Bane of Arthropods can be applied to axes.
- Used to create firework rockets.
- Combine gunpowder with dyes to get a firework star with those colors used for the sparkles.
- Add glowstone, a fire charge, a diamond, a gold nugget, feather, or a mob head to make the firework twinkling, big, trailing, star-shaped, bursting, or creeper-shaped, respectively.
- Craft a firework star with dye to change the color that the sparkles fade to.
- Non-destructive, rise up in the air, and create colorful patterns when shot by dispensers or placed by players.
- Combine paper with gunpowder to craft a firework rocket.
- Add a firework star to add effects, or gunpowder to increase the flight duration.
- A new armor enchantment.
- Deals damage depending on tier to attackers.
- Wears armor out faster.
- Can now spawn differently configured mobs with different spawn chances
- A high pitched sound is now played when a player hits another player from far away with a bow.[note 1]
- Fireballs' blast radius can now be customized
- The armor and enchants they spawn with now are even harder on harder difficulties.
- Now render from farther away.
- Now render in 3D when using fancy graphics.
- Now have a random chance to have enchanted books in their chests.
- Items can now be dragged and dropped.
- Long pressing will halve the stack before dragging.
- Items now show their name when switching in the hotbar.
- Can be disabled by changing
heldItemTooltipsto false in options.txt.
- Can be disabled by changing
- Dropping items while holding ctrl now drops the whole stack.
- Fire Protection now extinguishes fire more quickly.
- Blast Protection now reduces explosion recoil.
- Protection is not as protective as it used to be in order to make specific enchantments more worthwhile.
- Pressing use while sneaking now uses the held item instead of the currently selected block.
- Now appear in server log files.
- Added a default resolution setting to options.txt:
- Added an option to toggle touchscreen mode.[note 1]
- Falling block behavior has changed - they are no longer capable of infinitely producing dropped items at high coordinate values.
- 28 issues fixed
- From 1.4.2
- MC-133 – Mobs walking slow when you hit them.
- MC-255 – Graphical issue with trading.
- MC-256 – Mobs can still revert farmlands to dirt even if mobGriefing gamerule is set on false.
- MC-312 – Item textures of spawn eggs and firework stars not aligned properly when stacked.
- MC-498 – Setting an enderman on fire with flint and steel or lava will not make it teleport away.
- MC-674 – Items that are different only in damage cannot be swapped.
- MC-721 – Animals on fire do not flee.
- MC-1140 – Boats always get placed in the same direction and not based on how they get placed.
- MC-1240 – Endermen are set on fire when trying to dodge arrows on fire.
- MC-1311 – When you enter the Nether, the game auto-selects the first item on the toolbar.
- MC-1626 – Z-fighting in beacon block's bottom.
- MC-1847 – Leaves have an incorrect tooltip.
- MC-1969 – Minecarts cannot travel through nether portals.
- MC-2145 – Drowning in creative.
- From 1.4.4
- MC-1959 – Placing double slabs ignore damage values.
- MC-2504 – Enchant cannot enchant with ID 0 (Protection).
- MC-4510 – Enchantments not showing in item frames.
- MC-4528 – Flaming arrows take a moment to burn.
- From 1.4.5
- MC-3332 – The XP sound doesn't play after getting each 5th level.
- MC-3490 – Minecarts and falling entities flickering / jittering (updated 1.4.5).
- MC-3501 – Passive mob spawn eggs don't consume.
- MC-3565 – Endermen don't open their mouth when attacked by other mobs.
- MC-3593 – Lightning doesn't flash.
- MC-4024 – Chest glitch - Server/Client desynchronization.
- MC-4069 – Pressing F3+B displays hitboxes.. rendering invisibility potions useless.
- MC-4117 – Wither can sometimes destroy its own star due to the posthumous detonation of wither skulls.
- MC-4499 – Beacon tiers don't work at y=0.
- MC-4634 – Cannot remove XP bars from the
/xp -1command when between level 0 and 1.
These fixes occurred between the last snapshot for 1.4.6, 12w50b, and the full release of 1.4.6.
- MC-429 – Bats get stuck when flying through water.
- MC-678 – Water splash sound gets overriden by other sounds.
- MC-756 – Player not shown in actual location after breaking boat.
- MC-833 – Inventory items are lost.
- MC-971 – Mis-identified server version.
- MC-1005 – Fresh install of 1.4.2 on fresh install of OSX 10.6.8 hangs.
- MC-1347 – Items do not "update looks" when stacked on ground.
- MC-1348 – Dropped items only auto-stack when moving, not when going through portals.
- MC-1599 – File Handle leak in RegionFileCache (MCP).
- MC-1957 – Minecraft graphics messed up.
- MC-2442 – Bug with redstone's direction.
- MC-2568 – Ghost block bug.
- MC-2610 – Game freezes at the start of a previously saved game.
- MC-2622 – Cannot modify the render distance setting - stays at "Far" regardless of changes.
- MC-2673 – Shift-clicking smelted ores out of furnace cause minor visual bug.
- MC-2712 – Cannot look around while walking/sprinting unless jumping at first (happens on all gamemodes).
- MC-2873 – Minecarts disappearing.
- MC-2879 – Error 50% of the time when trying to join a server.
Failed to login: Error.
- MC-2904 – Zombie pigman's knockback stunlocks iron golem's defeating their intended purpose.
- From 1.4.4
- MC-1734 – Duplicating falling blocks (sand, gravel, dragon eggs...) still works with tweaks to an existing design.
- MC-1883 – Destroying a Jukebox NPE&Kick.
- MC-2747 – Minecraft client crashes when connection times out.
- MC-3122 – Cannot change texture packs.
- MC-3255 – Crash due to blaze fireballs.
- MC-3280 – Some textures appear as dark terrain.png images.
- MC-3346 – Minecraft crashing every time I get on for a little while.
- MC-3934 – Particle overload when returning from AFK.
- From 1.4.5
- MC-3632 – Game only loads the chunk I'm currently standing on when I log in, and then freezes and crashes.
- MC-3860 – Client crashes when underground near a piston-and-redstone machine.
- MC-3899 – Skeletons will come close to attacker.
- MC-3988 – Slime audio bug.
- MC-4432 – Minecart goes off track and into walls.
- MC-4784 – Skeletons not retaliating to iron golems or wolves.
- MC-4792 – Minecraft crashed, exception world.
- MC-4829 – Game client gets stuck on 'building terrain' screen.
- From the previous development version
- MC-4644 – Mobs running in circles and not jumping when chasing/running away.
- From the current version, hotfixed
- MC-4872 – Crash when shot by skeleton.
- Other fixes
- Fixed mouse wrongly positioned in fullscreen.
- 1.4.6 is the first minor update to have snapshots.
- These changes occurred between the last development version for 1.4.6 and the full release of it.
- "Minecraft 1.4.6 is out!" (Archive) by Jens Bergensten – Mojang.com, December 21, 2012.
- "Minecraft 1.4.6 Pre-release" (Archive) by Jens Bergensten – Mojang.com, December 17, 2012.
- "Just sneakily pushed a new version of 1.4.6 to fix spinning mobs. If your mobs start dancing, redownload!" – @Dinnerbone (Nathan Adams) on Twitter, December 17, 2012
- "Had to do another sneaky update for crashes. No more, I promise! :(" – @Dinnerbone (Nathan Adams) on Twitter, December 17, 2012