Java Edition 1.3.1/Development versions
- 1 12w15a
- 2 12w16a
- 3 12w17a
- 4 12w18a
- 5 12w19a
- 6 12w21a
- 7 12w21b
- 8 12w22a
- 9 12w23a
- 10 12w23b
- 11 12w24a
- 12 12w25a
- 13 12w26a
- 14 12w27a
- 15 12w30a
- 16 12w30b
- 17 12w30c
- 18 12w30d
- 19 12w30e
- 20 1.3
- 21 Notes and references
This is a list of Java Edition 1.3.1 development versions.
12w15a was the first snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Stackable items now stack outside inventory when thrown to the ground individually.
- Decreased the spawning rate of slimes in superflat worlds.
- The appropriate spawn egg is now given when pick blocking a mob while in creative mode.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking can now be used to equip armor.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking can now be used to put items in enchantment tables.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking can now be used to put items in brewing stands. However, it does not work with the third potion slot yet.
12w16a is the second snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Added bonus chest option to create world screen.
- Added option to enable single-player commands to create world screen.
/then pressing Tab ↹ will show a list of available commands; pressing Tab ↹ while writing a command will tab-complete its arguments.
- Each command is now its own class internally.
- Added a demo mode for non-premium users (won't be available until the full update).
- Items can now be deleted from the hotbar by shift-clicking while on the Creative mode item selection screen.
- Updated language files.
12w17a is the third snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Wooden slabs for each of the four shades of wood added.
- New block IDs 125 for double wooden slabs and 126 for single wooden slabs.
- These new slabs no longer act like stone.
- An axe should be used to break them.
- They are no longer immune to fire and lava.
- Wooden slabs created in older versions of Minecraft are still stone-like and fireproof and will not change to the new slabs when placed or mined.
- Editable Books – Book and quill, crafted using a book, feather, and ink sac
- When a book and quill is made, it can be right-clicked to open a screen that allows you to type the book.
- Pressing "Done" will save whatever was typed and allow you to edit the book again later, yet will not "sign" it.
- When "signing" a book, it will allow you to choose a title up to 16 characters long and disable editing of the book, the Book and quill then become a written book, with the icon changing along with the label.
- Looks the same as a regular book, but has a shine like an enchantment.
- After being finished, the written book cannot be edited again.
- Added 'Chat Options'.
- Added chat opacity, letting the chat be semi-transparent.
- Added chat disabling, removing the chat for Multiplayer servers.
- Added chat colors option.
- Added "Only Commands" mode to chat.
- Saplings now have their proper names (e.g. Spruce Sapling).
- Leather is now required to craft books.
- Now have infinite durability in Creative mode.
- Livestock, such as chickens, can now be "walked through" instead of pushing the player around in crowded pens.
- Can now be destroyed in one hit in Creative mode.
- Can now be destroyed a single hit in Creative mode.
- The player can no longer have a bonus chest in Hardcore mode.
- Flying through water in Creative mode is no longer slow.
- Server Commands now appear in italics in multiplayer.
3 bugs fixed
- Fixed entity collision errors.
- Fixed the pick block function.
- Fixed chat issues.
12w18a is the fourth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
This snapshot is known for being the version to make singleplayer worlds run on a local server, resulting in the introduction of server lag to singleplayer, as well as the large number of features broken by this, several of which are yet to be fixed in the latest version.
- Wood logs now have their proper names (e.g. Oak Wood).
- Wood planks now have their proper names (e.g. Spruce Wood Planks).
- Game no longer pauses when writing in a book. Whether this applies to book and quills is unknown.
- Cocoa beans are now obtainable in jungle tree leaves.
- Game no longer pauses when writing in a sign.
- Wooden tools work in furnaces as one full furnace use.
- Villagers spawned from spawning eggs will get a random profession.
- The 1⁄4 second (5 tick) delay between block breaking has been removed for players in survival. The player can now instantly mine a large amount of blocks in survival simply by holding destroy if conditions are met.
- Hardcore is now available in multiplayer.
- Separated server logic and client, therefore singleplayer is now a local server.
- Game no longer pauses when entering a command or pausing the game.
- F3 Debug screen
- Coordinates are now rounded to 5 digits.
- "ws", "fs" and "g" (Walking speed, flying speed and ground; "g" is true if the player is touching the ground).
- Updated language files.
- Splash "Mojang" screen now appears for 1 second instead of 3.
- Support and auto-download for server texture packs.
- Features broken by the internal server
Many features were broken or significantly changed due to the client-server split, many of which still remain absent from the game to this day almost nine whole years later.
- The particles from adding an eye of ender to an end portal frame block will no longer appear offset if performed at high distances from the world origin.
- This is due to the fact that they simply did not appear at all from this snapshot onwards, which is
- This bug resurfaced in Java Edition 19w14a when the aforementioned absent particles bug was fixed.
4 bugs fixed
- Fixed being unable to switch tools of the same kind in your inventory.
- Fixed water destroying non-solid blocks when breaking them from above.
- Fixed picking a block in creative with a tool in your hand causing you to lose it.
- Fixed Silk Touch giving you only one slab from double slabs.
12w19a is the fifth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Added cocoa pods to jungles.
- Generate on the side of jungle wood.
- Have 3 stages of growth, a number of cocoa beans dropped depends on stage of growth.
- Sandstone now have their proper names (e.g. Smooth Sandstone).
- Stone bricks now have their proper names (e.g. Cracked Stone Bricks).
- Added Large Biomes world type
- Changed cocoa beans' texture.
- Cookies now recover 2 points of hunger rather than 1.
- Torches now spawn around bonus chests if each side has a block at the same height around it.
- Increased the scale and depth of some biomes:
|Biomes||Before 12w19a||After 12w19a|
6 bugs fixed
- Enchanting bows and swords work again (Other tools now have tooltips, etc. once more).
- The End and the Nether generate normally again.
- Item repair works again.
- Starting a game in creative no longer starts in survival.
- Bonus chests work correctly again.
- Particles no longer activate wooden pressure plate with an arrow on it.
- Drops 1 emerald when mined.
- Generates in blobs of up to 10 blocks.
- Crafted with 8 obsidian and 1 eye of ender.
- All ender chests in a world have the same contents, if those contents change it will affect the contents of all other ender chests.
- On multiplayer, the ender chest's contents will be the same for all players on a server.
- A second golden apple made with blocks of gold.
- After being consumed, the player receives 30-second regeneration IV, plus resistance and fire resistance for 5 minutes.
- New generated structure in desert biomes that resemble pyramids.
- Have a TNT trap and loot chests inside.
- Villages that generate in desert biomes will now be made of sandstone rather than wood and cobblestone.
- Villagers will buy or sell the player emeralds in exchange for certain items.
- Trade with villagers by right-clicking on them, opening up a GUI with 2 buying slots and one selling slot.
- Displays the current world seed.
- Dispensers will eject water and lava source blocks from buckets.
- Will also take water and lava source blocks if there is an empty bucket inside.
- Changed gravel texture.
- Removed old chest texture, causing locked chests to appear as the purple default block.
- Are now stackable.
- Can be easily pushed around by simply walking, most likely intended to help the player navigate through animal farms more easily.
- Boats will now pass through lily pads without breaking the boat; the lilypad drops as an item instead.
- While sitting inside of a minecart pushing the directional keys will make it move the direction you are pressing, this will only work while the minecart is sitting on rails.
- Added snow to the creative inventory.
- Removed Server Jar dependency in singleplayer.
- Stars are more realistic.
- They are now slightly smaller and slightly brighter.
- Improved Options menu.
- The F3 menu no longer has the frame time graph.
- Saving and loading chunks is slightly faster.
- New inventory screen in Creative
- Blocks and items are sorted by category, each category in its own tab, the categories are: Building Blocks, Decoration Blocks, Redstone, Transportation, Miscellaneous, Foodstuffs, Tools, Combat, Brewing, and Materials.
- The inventory can be searched for specific items: just start typing while in the inventory screen. The search results will be displayed in the Search Items tab.
- The player's survival mode inventory is accessible via a tab with the chest as its icon.
- Brewed potions will not be included in their own category.
- To close the new inventory window, the player must press 'Esc'. Using the default inventory key does not currently work.
- Added monster egg to Creative inventory.
12w22a is the eighth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Decorative storage blocks, crafted with 9 emeralds.
- Can place down string to create tripwire, when walked on, these can activate tripwire hooks if there is a hook at each end of the string.
- Generated Structure that generate in jungle biomes.
- Comprised mainly of cobblestone and mossy cobblestone.
- Have dispenser and tripwire traps and chest loot.
- Adventure mode
- New gamemode, only accessible with
- The player cannot break or place any blocks.
- The player can interact with any blocks, like doors and levers, and can buy from villagers.
- The player can still damage mobs.
- Creative inventory
- Added potions to the Creative inventory; found in "brewing" category.
- Added delete item, armor and crafting to survival inventory when in Creative.
- Added silverfish cobblestone and stone brick monster egg blocks to the Creative inventory.
- Now generates in blobs of 1 block
- Rain will slowly drip through leaves.
- Top texture changed from
- Changed as a result of the addition of the texture of what would later become the Block of Emerald occupying the texture space of what used to be the chest texture.
- Half-slabs can now be placed upside-down when pointing at the upper half of the side of a block. This does not work with stairs.
- Some minor terrain changes.[more information needed]
- Enchantment system has been rebalanced.
- The maximum enchantment level has been lowered from 50 to 30.
- As a result enchantment tables now require only 15 bookcases around them to allow maximum level enchantments.
- With a full enchantment table set with bookshelves, at the bottom of the 3 enchantments, it always shows the player the highest number possible.
- Using level 30 enchantments, the player has a lot more luck; almost all items get at least 2 enchantments.
- Various actions will now reward the player with experience orbs, such as mining ores (except gold ore and iron ore), using furnaces, and getting achievements.
- Levels are now awarded linearly. It takes 17 experience to go up one level.
- The maximum enchantment level has been lowered from 50 to 30.
- Blocks seen in inventory are oriented to the right instead of to the left.
- Have a very small chance of spawning zombie pigmen.
- Pausing now works again in single player.
- Smelting in a furnace with a lava bucket now leaves an empty bucket for the player to retrieve.
- Added the 10 gravel + 1 emearld → 2-3 flint trade to farmers
- Added the enchanted item trades to clerics (e.g. 1 iron pickaxe + 3 emeralds → 1 iron pickaxe with Fortune I).
- Includes iron sword, iron pickaxe, iron axe, iron chestplate, diamond sword, diamond pickaxe, diamond axe, and diamond chestplate.
- Added the 1 emerald → 5 arrows trade
- Switched the 2 eyes of ender → 1 emerald to 7-10 emeralds → 1 eye of ender
- Removed the 36- 63 rotten flesh → 1 emerald trade
- Pressing F will reload the chunks.
10 bugs fixed
- In the redstone tab of the creative inventory, the redstone torch is now on instead of being off.
- In the decoration tab of the creative inventory, the redstone torch has been removed.
- Fixed the size of slimes which was sometimes wrong in the previous snapshot.
- Fully charged arrows now show their particle effect again.
- Arrows are now stuck at the correct position in the block they hit.
- The language English (US) is available again.
- Fixed Enderman often not shaking and opening their jaws when looked at.
- Fixed repeaters sometimes being stuck when loading the chunks they are in.
- The Search tab does not automatically open up unless the player presses their chat key, allowing the inventory to be closed with the normal inventory key again.
- Fixed bug causing stacked buckets to disappear when used to milk cows.
12w23a is the ninth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Stairs now have the correct hitbox.
- Tripwire is now activated by most entities, including arrows (but not an eye of ender or a bottle o' enchanting).
- The max distance has been increased to 40 blocks.
- Wooden pressure plates detect arrows.
- Boats can now accelerate to faster than previous speeds.
- Boats are now easier to control.
- Enchantment levels are slightly exponential again.
- It now takes 825 experience to reach level 30.
- The first 16 levels are linear, while level 17+ require more points per level to the maximum level of 30 (although one can still have more than 30 XP levels to spend).
- Texture packs that are in folders and not in a zip file are recognized as a texture pack.
- Texture pack image is displayed for folder-based texture packs.
- Pressing F no longer reloads chunks.
7 bugs fixed
- Fixed a bug when pistons pushed a wire.
- Villagers procreate again.
- Weather transitions are back.
- Slime and magma cube jumping animations have been fixed.
- Armor and tool enchantments now show to other players on multiplayer.
- Players are now able to skip the End credits again.
- Pumpkins now face the correct direction on the player's head.
1 bug fixed
- Fixed frequent null pointer exceptions in survival mode when blocks were instantly mined with a tool.
12w24a is the eleventh snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Allowed those connected to a player's LAN network to join SP games
- The player can now use
/publishto open their singleplayer game for LAN players to join. This is still very much work in progress, so it lacks some necessary settings such as what game mode players will get, and if they should be able to use cheats or not.
/publishcommand is temporary, since the player cannot even access it if they have not enabled cheats (LAN connections will be GUI based in the future).
- Added the command from multiplayer to singleplayer
- Allows teleporting between players.
- Now has an inventory per player and not per world,
- Breaking it will drop 8 obsidian, unless the player has Silk Touch enchantment.
- Breaking a block that can be instantly mined by hand (tall grass, torch, etc.) while holding a tool no longer reduces the tool's durability.
- Language files
- End portal frames now have a tooltip.
- 16 bugs fixed
- Fixed ender pearls and eye of ender not aligning properly in the inventory.
- Fixed the double chest GUI having the caption "Large Chest" in all languages.
- Fixed the "Destroy Item" tooltip appearing in other pages of the inventory occasionally.
- Partially remedied bug when Minecraft does not save the player's progress, stops generating chunks, and freezes all the mobs. This still occurs sometimes.
- Fixed the ender dragon not dealing any damage to the player after it has been hit once.
- Fixed explosions not pushing back players.
- Fixed buckets not picking up or placing water within the spawn protection.
- Fixed losing the items in the second trade box if the player exits a trade with a villager.
- Fixed missing sounds:
- Fixed attempting to use a tripwire hook when right clicking.
- The texture pack folder button now works on Mac.
12w25a is the twelfth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Added wooden stairs for the remaining three wood types (spruce, birch, and jungle).
- Added an "Open to LAN" menu in the in-game menu, which allows players to open their world to other players.
- In the menu, the player can choose to turn commands on or off, and choose the game mode.
- Redstone (including repeaters, torches, levers, and pressure plates), torches and rails can now be placed on top of upside-down slabs.
- Redstone (including repeaters, torches, levers, and pressure plates), torches and rails can now be placed on top of upside-down stairs.
- Arrows shot while in Creative Mode can be picked up if approached, however, the player will not receive the arrow item when doing so.
- Potentially improved memory usage.
- Pigs now drop 1-3 porkchops instead of 0-2.
- Slimes spawning in Superflat world type has reduced.
- The "sky" in The End has changed; it is now purple instead of greenish.
- Removed the downwards knockback while drowning.
- The multiplayer menu now scans for LAN servers.
- Villagers may remove a trade option after it has been used at least 3 times.
- Now allows teleporting to specified coordinates.
9 bugs fixed
- A player's Ender Chest storage is no longer wiped on respawning.
- Fixed pistons not pushing back players.
- Fixed a crash bug when typing
/time set day.
- Fixed a freeze bug when opening the texture pack folder from in-game.
- Fixed published games apparently staying open for visitors when the host leaves.
- Fixed Villagers not showing hearts around them when mating,
- Fixed respawning causing your skin to be set to the default until you leave and come back.
- Fixed being unable to hear TNT from more than 16 blocks away.
- Fixed being able to use bone meal in a dark room.
12w26a is the thirteenth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Monster spawners now support extra information for the mobs it spawns. This allows unmodified games to have spawners for special variants of mobs, the player still requires external or modified means to set these parameters, though.
- No longer drops as an item when broken in Creative mode.
- Monsters can now spawn on upside down slabs.
- Sticky Pistons
- Are more sticky (they still hold on to their block even if power is cut immediately).
- Silverfish under the poison effect will spawn silverfish from nearby monster eggs more quickly.
- Performance improvements.
11 bugs fixed
- Spruce, birch and jungle wooden stairs can now be crafted.
- Removed sand and gravel duplication glitch.
- In creative mode, destroying a TNT block no longer drops a TNT block.
- Fixed changing the name of a world, loading that world, saving and quitting it undoing the world rename.
- Fixed game crashing when it automatically selects the "Scanning for LAN Worlds" item in the server list and you delete it.
- Fixed arrow representing the player on the map item not pointing in the right direction.
- Fixed clicking "Save and Quit" or "Disconnect" twice quickly crashing the game.
- Fixed the multiplayer server fairly regularly dropping all players and showing many NullPointerExceptions in the console every few hours.
- Fixed save files being closed each time world was auto-saved.
- Fixed placing a piston in front of another which is powered, but not extended, causing the placed piston to become broken and have the same texture on all sides.
- Removed powered rail duplication glitch.
12w27a is the fourteenth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Starts/stops debug profiling.
- Updated pistons to make them less error-prone, thus they also appear to update slower.
- This also altered the way pistons work, so the player might have to adapt their repeater delays and similar.
- For this change, pistons now take 2 redstone ticks (4 game ticks) to expand, but they still retract instantly.
- Signs are stackable up to 16.
- Crafting them now gives 3 signs instead of 1 with the same recipe.
- Boats now drop the boat item when destroyed by a player.
- Gaining experience from mining ore is now different for each type of ore (mining coal ore will give the player the least amount while diamond ore & emerald ore will give the most amount of XP).
13 bugs fixed
- Newly added wooden stairs will now burn.
- Fixed powering specific glitched pistons crashing the game.
- Fixed a visual bug causing pistons to be partially invisible or in the wrong location momentarily.
- Fixed being able to place portals in the Nether in locations where they would end up in illegal locations in the overworld.
- Fixed the game crashing when publishing SP worlds with certain language settings.
- Fixed players on minecarts, boats or pigs and spider jockeys not being displayed in the correct location.
- Fixed a bug with dispensers.
/saynot accepting some strings form the console, often triggering the help dialogue.
- Fixed being able to transmute blocks to certain data values using an orientation-dependent tripwire bug.
- Fixed drinking potions in creative not consuming the potions, but still giving empty bottles.
- Fixed signs sometimes not saving the text when placing them.
- Fixed torches at the top of 1×1 vertical shafts not lighting up their own block.
12w30a is the fifteenth snapshot released for Java Edition 1.3.1.
- Snooper Settings
- Allows the player to toggle whether their data are sent to Mojang for analysis and improvements, shows which data will be sent to Mojang.
- Added Vertical Synchronization in Video Settings
- Has to be toggled manually in options.txt
- Fullscreen mode setting is now persistent
- Has to be toggled manually in options.txt
- Stairs, when placed on the upper half of a block's side, will now be placed upside-down.
- Depending on difficulty, explosion damage is now scaled.
- Peaceful: No damage.
- Easy: ~50% less damage.
- Normal: same damage as before.
- Hard: ~33% more damage than before.
- "In full diamond armor + hard difficulty a creeper can knock you down to 2 hearts."
- Made the Nether less laggy.
- /gamemode 3
- Survival mode's command is now /gamemode 0
- F3 Debug screen
- In F3 mode, the y coordinate now shows both the feet level and the eye level.
- Accelerated chunk loading.
- Decreased lag spike frequency.
- Made chat work smoothly even when the server is lagging.
- Decreased unnecessary world updates.
- Decreased packets sent between client and server.
19 bugs fixed
- Fixed existing signs not showing text.
- Fixed monster spawners all looking like pig spawners.
- Fixed ⌘ Cmd + C, ⌘ Cmd + x and ⌘ Cmd + V not working on Mac OS X.
- Fixed sneaking players' nameplates not staying hidden when loading the chunks the sneaking players are in.
- Fixed multiple chunks often not displaying.
- Fixed higher server-set view distances instantly kicking joining players.
- Fixed sections above Y = 191 becoming invisible when loading worlds.
- Fixed not completely generated chunks not updating to visually when walking into them.
- Fixed compasses not pointing to spawn but to X=8 & Z=8 after respawning.
- Fixed other players' fishing lines looking like they start from their feet.
- Fixed a bug with Unbreaking-enchanted tools and destroying blocks.
- Fixed being able to move LAN servers in the server list and crashing the game.
- Fixed opening SP worlds to LAN, saving and quitting it leaving the server running and showing up in the server list.
- Fixed pushing a minecart with the movement keys causing the camera to shake in the direction pressed.
- Fixed potion effects losing their graphical effects when traveling between dimensions.
- Fixed Ghast's fireballs getting stuck mid-air when unloading their chunk, might apply to fire charges and blaze's fireballs as well.
- Fixed the last slot in the opened creative inventory's hotbar being one pixel too short on all but the survival inventory tabs and a few pixels being off on the survival inventory tab.
- Fixed blocks disappearing when you placing them under yourself and jumping.
- Fixed the client trying to trample crops instead of letting the server dictate trampling.
3 bugs fixed
- Fixed null pointer exception.
- Fixed being unable to right-click on blocks.
- Fixed chests stacked on top of other chests not opening.
5 bugs fixed
- Fixed piston block animation bug.
- Fixed rain particles in certain biomes.
- Fixed Mob Spawners set to spawn FallingSand entity crashing the game.
- Fixed minor text bugs.
- Fixed portal placement.
- Cannot be obtained legitimately.
- Six sides textures similar to wood.
- Wood can now be placed in different orientations.
- Strongly decreased the amount of experience obtained from furnaces.
3 bugs fixed
- Fixed non-standard blocks displaying incorrectly when tiled on a FallingSand entity.
- Fixed Dragon Eggs displaying as lava blocks while falling.
- Fixed thrown splash potions not saving their type when reloading the world.
3 bugs fixed
- Fixed cocoa beans not being able to be planted on rotated wood blocks.
- Fixed duplication bug in Creative mode.
- Fixed the Survival inventory in Creative mode.
- Beef, Blaze Powder, Boat, Bone Meal, Cactus Green, Charcoal, Coal, Cocoa Beans, Magma Cream, Diamond, Flint, Gold Nugget, Nether Wart, Redstone Repeater, Rose Red, Rotten Flesh and Steak
- Realigned their textures.
- The block-breaking animation is now shown in F1 mode.
- Respawning in superflat is no longer random
5 bugs fixed
- Fixed melon stem block misalignment.
- Fixed a crash bug.
- Fixed the chest armor slot being inaccessible in Creative mode's survival inventory tab.
- Fixed rotated wooden logs mined using Silk Touch enchanted tools dropping as rotated wooden logs.
- Fixed being unable to place half slabs in the small gaps between another half slab and the side of another block.
Notes and references