July 20, 2021
|Experimental snapshot for|
1.18 experimental snapshot 2 (known as 1_18_experimental-snapshot-2 in the launcher) is the second experimental snapshot for Java Edition 1.18, released on July 20, 2021, which makes numerous changes to world generation and mob spawning functionality related to spawners.
- Spawners now have a new CustomeSpawnRules [sic] tag, which lets players override the spawn rules of the spawned mob.
- In the tag, players can specify BlockLightLimit, which indicates the highest block-light the spawners will spawn mobs at.
- Beaches are generally wider.
- In some places there is a chance where no beaches generate at all, to provide some variation.
- Renamed mountains to extreme hills, and gravelly mountains to gravelly hills.
- Sheep now spawn in meadows.
- Rabbits now spawn more frequently in meadows.
- Donkeys now spawn less frequently in meadows.
- Blue orchid no longer spawns in meadows.
- Meadows sometimes spawn a lone oak or birch, often with a bee nest.
- Hostile mobs now spawn in the new mountain biomes.
- Infested stone now generate in the new mountain biomes.
- Ore distribution
- Emerald ores now generate in the new mountain biomes.
- Made ore veins slightly larger and more frequent.
- Swamps now generate properly.
- Are now slightly smaller and slightly less common.
- Biome placement is a bit smoother and less noisy. Fewer microbiomes dotting the terrain. Biomes tend to be a bit larger and less fragmented.
- Underground biomes interfere less with surface biomes. They can still leak out of cave entrances sometimes.
- Increased the height of some of the peaks.
- Now can rarely reach up to Y=260.
- Slightly increased the chance of finding large areas with flat terrain.
- Structures now mostly show up in the right biomes.
- Toned down the megacave entrances a little bit, and made them less likely to go all the way down to deepslate level.
- Made cheese caves a little bit smaller on average, and a bit less likely to intersect the surface.
- Reduced the chance of sand and gravel being placed in such a way that they immediately fall down on generation.
- Some are now replaced with sandstone or stone.
- Raised cloud level from 128 to 192.
This version is not supported on the bug tracker, and therefore issues affecting it will be resolved as "Invalid".
Video made by slicedlime:
- "New world generation in Java available for testing" by Henrik Kniberg. Minecraft.net, July 20, 2021
- "Minecraft 1.18 experimental snapshot 2 is out!" – u/MrHenrik2 on Reddit, July 20, 2021
- Unzip this file in the .minecraft/versions folder.