November 16, 2021
1.18 Pre-release 2 (known as 1.18-pre2 in the launcher) is the second pre-release for Java Edition 1.18, released on November 16, 2021, which increased the required minimum Java version from 16 to 17, and fixed bugs.
- Changed "Now Java 16!" to "Java 16 + 1 = 17!".
- The game now requires Java 17 instead of Java 16.
- When upgrading a world, new caves will generate underneath the entire chunk, in all chunks that have any bedrock at height 0.
- 43 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.18
- MC-32813 – Floating water / lava above caves / cave carver doesn't update water.
- MC-206303 – Minecarts have old textures on the bottom.
- MC-217038 – Large dripstone structures can be generated outside the caves.
- MC-217056 – Some high-speed particles lag/freeze the game.
- MC-220061 – Painting back texture is mirrored.
- MC-223917 – Goats on fire do not attempt to pathfind towards water.
- MC-226689 – Albert Pastore's name is grey and improperly indented in the credits.
- MC-227163 – Credits say "IT Manager" instead of "IT Managers".
- MC-227204 – "Explore, dream, discover" quote no longer appears after new credits.
- MC-227206 – Random names in the new credits use curly quotes/apostrophes.
- MC-227231 – Steven Silvester's name might be misspelt in the credits.
- MC-227239 – In the credits, Elizabeth Batson's company name is improperly capitalized.
- MC-227329 – The usage and punctuation of "Inc" is still inconsistent in the credits.
- MC-231782 – Missing "(" in Frank Criscione credit.
- MC-237608 – Server address shown when connection fails during server startup.
- From the 1.18 development versions
- MC-236756 – Biome-exclusive mob spawn rates are reduced.
- MC-236858 – Seeds that spawn you in the middle of the ocean cause lag.
- MC-237275 – Game crashed when creating a single biome world with a custom biome / java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "
bze.a()" because the return value of "
bzg.a(int, int, int)" is null.
- MC-238049 – Passive mobs (cows, pigs, sheep, chickens) sometimes do not spawn.
- MC-238076 –
UpgradeDatain chunk is not migrated to new world height.
- MC-238375 – Crash and/or data corruption upon attempting to save a world with a world border center over 30 million blocks.
- MC-238587 – Sprinting while flying into a block causes the screen to rapidly zoom in and out.
- MC-239423 – Kumi Tanioka isn't under "Music composed by" in the credits.
- MC-239856 – Upgrading old worlds causes vines to have the wrong block state.
- MC-239857 – Fences, iron bars, and glass panes often use an incorrect block state after conversion.
- MC-239884 – Water from old chunks don't properly propagate into new chunks.
- MC-239899 – Connected redstone does not properly upgrade from older versions.
- MC-239994 – Old worlds with non-bedrock blocks at 0,0,0 do not upgrade chunk column from 0,0,0 to 0,-64,0.
- MC-240030 – Infdev and Alpha holes in the world below Y=0 after conversion since 21w43a.
- MC-240494 – Duplicated mineshafts with new cave generation.
- MC-240507 – Mob Spawning in structures fails in pre-1.18 generated monuments/swamp huts/outposts.
- MC-240570 – Biomes in old chunks are not copied to new caves below Y=0 when chunks are extended.
- MC-240610 – "Allow Server Listings" option doesn't save its last setting.
- MC-240783 – Powder snow does not reduce or negate fall damage.
- MC-241111 – Some Mojang employees are not mentioned in the credits.
- From the previous development version
- MC-241191 – Tripwires occasionally have incorrect block states after upgrading old worlds.
- MC-241194 – Crash: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "
ddm.a(cao, cps, java.util.Random, gh)" because the return value of "
java.util.function.Supplier.get()" is null.
- MC-241199 – Double chests have incorrect block states after upgrading old worlds.
- MC-241204 – Specific chunks reset each time world is loaded.
- MC-241208 – Powered buttons, pressure plates, and tripwire hooks remain powered forever after upgrading old worlds.
- MC-241231 – Floating campfire in a village.
- MC-241234 – Fossils get cut off at chunk borders.
- MC-241413 – Floating water generates around ravines.
Videos made by slicedlime:
- "Minecraft 1.18 Pre-Release 2" – Minecraft.net, November 16, 2021