May 27, 2021
1.17 Pre-release 1 (known as 1.17-pre1 in the launcher) is the first pre-release for Java Edition 1.17, released on May 27, 2021, which re-added candles to survival mode, changed credits and the glowing on signs, added new advancements and splashes, and fixes bugs.
- Re-added candles to the creative inventory.
- Candles can be crafted again.
- Starts a recording for 10 seconds capturing metrics such as tick durations, used heap sizes and other more detailed stats.
- Executing again before the 10-second limit ends the recording early.
- Added eleven new advancements:
- Whatever Floats Your Goat!
- Wax On
- Wax Off
- Scrape wax off a copper block.
- The Cutest Predator
- The Healing Power of Friendship!
- Team up with an axolotl and win a fight.
- Glow and Behold!
- Make a sign glow.
- Light as a Rabbit
- Surge Protector
- Is It a Bird?
- Is It a Balloon?
- Look at a ghast through a spyglass.
- Is It a Plane?
- Look at an ender dragon through a spyglass.
- Adds new advancement triggers.
- Triggered when player starts riding a vehicle or entity starts riding vehicle currently ridden by player.
- Triggers for any player on the server when lightning finishes (i.e. entity disappears).
- Triggered for every tick of using items (like crossbows, spyglass, fishing rods, etc).
- Added the following splash text:
- "[this splash text has been delayed until part 2]"
- "Contains simulated goats!"
- "There's <<a cat on ,my keyboard!~" [sic]
- "The cutest predator you'll ever meet!"
- "Now you are thinking with pistons!"
- "Get to the coppah!"
- "Board game version also available!"
- "Honey, I waxed the copper!"
- "Plant-based light sources!"
- "Made by "real" people!"
- Candles now have a different texture when lit.
- Glowing text on signs now has an outer glow, making text in dark colors more visible in the dark.
- Changed the held item models in the player's right hand.
- Removes debug report command.
- Replaced by F3 + L and
- It is now no longer possible to craft suspicious stew using flowering azalea or flowering azalea leaves.
- Updated the credits, which were brought over from Bedrock Edition; as a result, the credits are significantly longer, as they include people and corporations that did not work on Java Edition.
- Changed the format from
- Now scroll faster when holding Space.
looking_at(entity currently viewed by player) condition to
- Now accepts an array of item types.
- Now accepts an array of block types.
- Removed "Woo, /v/!"
- Added flowering azalea and flowering azalea leaves to the
flowersblock and item tags.
- Removed flowering azalea and flowering azalea leaves from the
small_flowersblock and item tags.
- This prevents endermen from picking up these blocks, as well as crafting suspicious stew with them.
- Removed moss carpet from the
- Added potted azalea bushes and potted flowering azaleas bushes to the
- Added non-waxed oxidized copper variants to the
- 64 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.17
- MC-19690 – Reducing
max_healthcan cause fake death.
- MC-65587 – Lag spike while loading player head textures/player skins.
- MC-99680 – Heart jittering effect doesn't take absorption into account.
- MC-104897 – End crystals placed on exit portals generated before 1.9 do not respawn the ender dragon.
- MC-118757 – Increasing Game State Rain Level values make the game increasingly laggier and distorts UI.
- MC-130523 – Void World spawns you at y=0 even if you entered 64 air blocks in customization.
- MC-148809 – Structure block data length limited to 12.
- MC-163945 – Intersecting structures can create corrupted block entities (spawner / chest).
- MC-189336 – ⇧ Shifting around servers in the server list crashes the game (
- MC-190952 – Apostrophe in "Developers of Mo' Creatures" heading is inconsistent with other apostrophes in credits.
- MC-192889 – When placing certain heads or putting them in entities' head slot the game stutters.
- MC-197942 – Leaves change to stone near Lava Pool (Recurrence of MC-48340).
- MC-198957 – End Portal Frames change to Stone near Lava Pool.
- MC-202249 – Angering passive mobs in new nether chunks very far away from previously generated chunks, then entering a nether portal causes server to completely freeze.
- MC-203131 – Setting the weight in Template Pool to high values will lag world and can cause out of memory error.
- MC-209819 – Server crash when pathfinding to player that is teleporting away.
- MC-213062 – A ruined portal generated in an end portal.
- MC-218112 –
SynchedEntityDatais using locks incorrectly.
- MC-218972 – The glowing effect outline omits parts of entities if the entity is invisible.
- MC-224778 – Game crashes when there is a block with no
facingblock state in
#wall_coralsand a warm ocean tries to generate.
- From the 1.17 development versions
- MC-203558 – Lighting a candle is sometimes delayed.
- MC-203661 – Flowing liquids look very dark through tinted glass.
- MC-203704 – Candles don't show flame animations when particles are set to "Minimal".
- MC-204649 – Amethyst blocks don't make chime sounds when walked on by certain mobs.
- MC-205035 – Powder Snow Bucket is not grouped with Snowball or buckets in creative inventory.
- MC-208604 – While the mainhand is empty and there's a loaded crossbow in the offhand, the mainhand will appear invisible.
- MC-211601 – Entities are loaded after scheduled ticks are processed causing detector rails, pressure plates, etc. to turn off.
- MC-212142 – Applying glow ink on signs doesn't render the text bright without also having applied a custom color.
- MC-212146 – Glow lichen can generate floating inside underground structures.
- MC-212207 – Geodes generating inside icebergs.
- MC-213799 – Dripleaf isn't properly held in the player's hand.
- MC-214057 – Entities no longer showing flame animation when in water/lava at the same time.
- MC-214636 – Small dripleaf leafs can overlap each other and cause z-fighting.
- MC-214684 – Azaleas cannot be placed in flower pots.
- MC-216276 – Lava pools break bedrock with custom world generation.
- MC-218831 – Lots of missing shaders in the game assets.
- MC-219762 – More performant noise blending algorithm in
- MC-221554 – When searching, the goat spawn egg appears in the middle of the different boat types.
- MC-221819 – Inconsistency: Enderman is able to pick up flowering azalea leaves, while unable to hold other types of leaves.
- MC-221820 – Inconsistency: Enderman is able to pick up flowering azalea, while unable to hold normal azalea bush.
- MC-223021 –
glShaderSourcefails on some AMD drivers resulting in a crash on 1.17.
- MC-223843 – Mycelium inside
- MC-224159 – Absorbtion hearts don't have the wither heart effect.
- MC-224349 – Attempting to save multiple debug profiles during the same second fails to properly save all but the first profile.
- MC-224445 – Reloading resource packs with fabulous graphics causes screen to become black, after a few times causes crash for AMD drivers.
- MC-224861 – Falling blocks disappear for a moment when landing.
- MC-224862 – Azalea and Flowering Azaleas can take bone meal despite being on clay.
- MC-225010 – Closing the inventory in creative mode while having an item on the cursor turns it into a ghost item.
- MC-225129 – Players do not despawn until they respawn.
- MC-225193 – Goats will attempt to ram entities that are outside of the world border.
- MC-225315 – Selected text on signs blinks.
- MC-225404 – The axe is still an appropriate tool for moss carpets.
- MC-225722 –
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: bound must be positive.
- MC-225773 – Axolotls can make ambient noises when they're playing dead.
- MC-226192 – Crash upon attempting to create a new scoreboard objective:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "String.toLowerCase(java.util.Locale)" because "â˜ƒ" is null.
- From the previous development version
- MC-225843 – Snow layers can still generate floating over lakes.
- MC-225850 – Grass, tall grass, flower, double flower, fern, large fern and tree can generate on sand or gravel.
- MC-225853 – Minecraft sometimes crashes when trying to start 21w20a for the first time.
- MC-225895 – Floating grass can still generate above lava lakes.
- MC-225916 – Non-waxed oxidized copper blocks don't require at least stone tier to be mined.
- MC-225919 – Coal Ore from fossils can generate through bedrock.
- MC-225929 – Item statistic sorting not functioning.
- MC-225978 – Non-waxed weathered copper blocks appear twice in
- Private issues
- MC-213869 – Ender dragon's death animation resets when the chunk it is in is reloaded.
- 1.17 Pre-release 1 was released exactly 12 years after 0.0.14a_03
Videos made by slicedlime:
- "Minecraft 1.17 Pre-Release 1" – Minecraft.net, May 27, 2021
- – resolved as "Works As Intended"
- – "Java Edition is using credits from Bedrock now" – resolved as "Works As Intended"
- Re-enables features set to release for 1.18.