July 6, 2021
- Two previously untranslated death messages for some underwater mobs have been given messages:
<Name> died from dehydration.
<Name> died from dehydration whilst trying to escape <Name>.
- Added Classical Chinese.[note 2]
- All enchantments are now capped at level 255 in both display and power.
- Powder snow now fills cauldrons twice as fast as before.
- Tweaked held model texture to include glass on the backside.
- Blue axolotls now only spawn through breeding.
- Increased the drop probability of a copper ingot from 5% to 11%, and increased the drop rate with each level of Looting from 1% to 2%.
- This change is to match Bedrock Edition's drop rates.
- Breeding common goats now have a 2% chance to produce screaming goats.
- Status effects applied to goats now also apply when the goat is jumping or ramming.
- No longer pick up glow ink sacs.
- This prevents zombies from persisting after picking up the loot of a dead glow squid.
- Handshake packet padding method for "hostname" and "port" field has reverted to pre-1.17 when the server address which used is a SRV record.
- Now, data padded in these field will use the address and port which SRV record pointed at, instead of using "server address" as "hostname" and 25565 as "port".
- Some new characters have been added.
- Includes several currency symbols and some new emoji.
- The new characters are: ✂🍖🪣🔔⏳⚑₠₡₢₣₤₥₦₩₫₭₮₰₱₲₳₵₶₷₸₹₺₻₼₿
- Removed the following languages due to incomplete translations:
- Deaths of named mobs are now logged.
- 48 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.17
- MC-123654 – Sun, moon, and/or clouds are not showing if render distance is below 4.
- MC-131290 – Enchantments are saved as shorts, but are loaded as and function with integer values.
- MC-148635 – Dolphins do not swim with or give "Dolphin's Grace" to creative players.
- MC-156155 – Turkish lira sign (
₺) appears as
□in the game.
- MC-194736 – Duplicate text mapping for
- MC-196999 –
U+1FECis wrong in Minecraft's font.
- MC-202164 – "Times Crafted" statistics & corresponding objectives increase incorrectly when using the stonecutter.
- MC-223350 – Loaded chunks sometimes don't render until the player moves their head slightly.
- MC-224894 – Light tickets are released too early.
- From 1.17
- MC-213986 – Pistons and dispensers can be used to create ghost blocks using powder snow.
- MC-219018 – Ghost items can be created using
/item(server doesn't update client inventory correctly).
- MC-219290 – Calcite is too quiet compared to other blocks.
- MC-221656 – Creative mode obtained bucket of axolotl/tropical fish only spawns one kind axolotl/tropical fish.
- MC-222731 – Captured axolotl constantly tries to leave water.
- MC-223368 – Strength and weakness potions / custom attack damage attributes does not change damage from goats.
- MC-225816 – Hanging roots appear large when an item entity.
- MC-226461 – Logs can be replaced with stone near lava pools.
- MC-226505 – Goat's long jump is not affected by the jump boost effect.
- MC-226512 – Goats do not use the damage of held items when ramming entities.
- MC-226926 – Emerald ore generates too often.
- MC-226948 – Withers are now affected by potion effects.
- MC-227387 – World gen datapacks will likely crash or softlock the game.
- MC-227435 – Lag when placing heads of non-existent players when on servers.
- MC-227483 –
root_systemfeature config's codec uses a wrong field.
- MC-227520 – Overworld Fossils always generate at bedrock level.
- MC-227557 – End portal texture appears stretched after world conversion.
- MC-227618 – Small dripleaf is consumed without being placed when used on tall seagrass.
- MC-227651 – Group for lapis lazuli ore smelting and blasting recipes is misspelled.
- MC-227821 – Client crash when trying to create/edit realm immediately after deleting previous one.
- MC-227891 – Ender pearls despawn when a player logs out of a server.
- MC-228219 – Thrown ender pearls disappear upon entering the exit end portal.
- MC-228343 –
random_selectordefault feature isn't found.
- MC-228430 – Very long loading pause while booting the game ("Failed to add PDH Counter", caused by oshi).
- MC-228599 – Attempting to walk through flowing water constantly switches the player from swimming into normal mode.
- MC-228802 – Chunks not loading on a server / Cannot invoke
cmq.a(int, int, int)because
- MC-228828 – Specifying the
--serverparameter when starting the game, causes the game to crash.
- MC-228858 – Axolotls despawning though named and on leashes.
- MC-229169 – Piglins can no longer hear players breaking protected blocks through walls.
- MC-229191 – Diamond ore distribution changed between 1.16.5 and 1.17.
- MC-229246 – Piglins and piglin brutes no longer call other piglins after attacking one of them behind walls.
- MC-229299 – Blue axolotls can spawn naturally.
- MC-229441 – You can steal the item a villager is holding for trade by killing it.
- MC-229614 – Wandering Trader obtained tropical fish are only white kob.
- MC-230716 –
death.attack.dryout.playerdisplay raw translation strings (are untranslated).
- Duplication exploit with anvils.
- Fixed crashes.
- A private issue was fixed.
- Fixed some critical issues.
- For the first time since 1.1, there was no subsequent second minor release ('1.17.2').
Videos made by slicedlime:
- "Minecraft Java Edition 1.17.1" – Minecraft.net, July 6, 2021