November 2, 2020
1.16.4 is a minor update to Java Edition released on November 2, 2020, which adds the social interactions screen and fixes various bugs. The content of 1.16.4 is identical to its release candidate. While 1.16.4 was not the last minor version of 1.16, it was the last one before snapshots for 1.17 began.
- Added an option to hide matched names.
- Some servers send chat messages in non-standard formats. With this option on, the game will attempt to apply chat hiding anyway by matching the text in messages.
- Gives players the ability to disable chatting with certain players, thus hiding any messages received from them.
- Opens with a configurable key binding, by default P.
- Whether a player is hidden resets when re-joining a server.
- The status of a player is listed below their name.
- Changed the texture of the worn netherite leggings model.
- When logging in with a Microsoft account, players blocked in that account are now also blocked in the game, and account restrictions are now respected.
- A button to open a link to the Accessibility Guide can now be found in the Accessibility Options screen.
- More information is now added to the crash log in cases where poor performance causes the server to crash.
- Added "joinedFirstServer" option to options.txt.
- New network protocol scheme, with a high bit (bit 30) set for snapshots. The protocol version will increase by 1 for each snapshot, but full releases may keep the same protocol version as the previous full release in cases where the network protocols are compatible.
- When the server and client version are incompatible, a message reading "Incompatible version!" in red will be displayed, instead of "Client out of date!" or "Server out of date!" in dark red.
- When multiplayer is disabled, the message displayed will now read, "Multiplayer is disabled. Please check your Microsoft account settings." instead of "Multiplayer is disabled. Please check your launcher settings."
- The splashes relating to the Black Lives Matter movement have been added to splashes.txt. These splashes were added to the game via a launcher update during 1.16.2 but were not in splashes.txt. The splashes are:
- Black lives matter!
- Be anti-racist!
- Learn about allyship!
- Speak OUT against injustice and UP for equality!
- Amplify and listen to BIPOC voices!
- Educate your friends on anti-racism!
- Support the BIPOC community and creators!
- Stand up for equality in your community!
- 4 issues fixed
- From 1.16
- MC-192434 – The top front texture of worn netherite leggings is inconsistent with the rest of the texture.
- From 1.16.2
- MC-199487 – World generation deadlock causes crash.
- From 1.16.3
- MC-201885 – Divide by zero error in the ender dragon entity class can cause a server crash and infinite velocity.
- From the 1.16.4 development versions
- MC-202147 – Cursor in Social Interactions & Recipe Book & Anvil menu doesn’t blink
Video by slicedlime:
- 1.16.4 is the first version since 1.0.0 to have only pre-releases and release candidates as development versions.
- This was the last full version to be released in 2020.
- Originally, this version was going to be released on October 29, 2020, but it got postponed by 4 days.