An illager is a type of hostile mob that regularly spawns in woodland mansions, patrols, raids, and pillager outposts. All illagers are hostile towards players, villagers, wandering traders and iron golems.
- Evoker — summons vexes and evoker fangs. Spawns in woodland mansions and raids.
- Illusioner[JE only][unused mob] — attacks with a bow, may inflict Blindness and summon duplicates while becoming invisible. They can spawn only using command
- Pillager — the most common Illager. Attacks with a crossbow. Passive when unarmed[JE only]. Spawns in patrols, pillager outposts, and raids.
- Vindicator — attacks with an iron axe; breaks wooden doors in normal or hard modes during raids. Spawns in woodland mansions or raids.
- Ravager only an illager in Bedrock Edition — attacks by ramming with its horns. Roars after its attack is blocked by a shield, knocking back nearby mobs. Spawns in raids, sometimes ridden by another illager.
There are three specific criteria for a mob to be considered an Illager:
- "Johnny" vindicators do not attack the other mob.
- The mob cannot be damaged by evoker fangs or ravager's roar.
- The mob does not fight back when hit by a missed arrow shot by a pillager or illusioner[JE only].
Non-illager monsters that spawn in raids
- Ravager — not an illager in Java Edition because "Johnny" vindicators attack them without being attacked by the ravager in return.
- Vex — "Johnny" vindicators attack them. They spawn when summoned by an evoker.
- Witch — Witches are not illagers, nor are they hostile to villagers. A Villager transforms into a Witch if they're struck by lightning. However, they can join patrols or spawn in raids above normal difficulty and splash Potions of Regeneration or Healing on illagers.[JE only]. However, "Johnny" vindicators attack them, and they take damage from evokers' fangs and ravagers' roars. Witches are also neutral to iron and snow golems.[JE only]
A ravager ridden by pillager spawn at raids in Wave 5. Ravagers ridden by vindicators and evokers spawn at Wave 7.
A ravager ridden by pillager spawn at raids in Wave 5 and 7, ravagers ridden by evokers spawn at Wave 7. The ravagers ridden by vindicators do not spawn on raids.
Ravagers spawn exclusively in raids.
Illagers have their own in-game events, led by raid captains:
- Patrols — a naturally spawned group of pillagers roaming the landscape. The group can include a vindicator on hard difficulty in Bedrock Edition.
- Raid — a wave after wave of illagers and witches spawn and attack a village with ominous horn blares. It is triggered when a player with the Bad Omen status effect enters a village. Raiders and villagers usually have different behavior in a raid. Raiders celebrate after defeating a village.
Killing a raid captain in patrols, in a mansion[JE only], or in an outpost inflicts the player with the Bad Omen effect, which triggers a raid when that player enters a village with the effect still active.
Illagers, ravagers, and witches do not retaliate when hit by a missed arrow shot by a pillager or illusioner.
A vindicator can disable the player's shield with its iron axe attack, even when riding a mob. If a player fails to land a melee attack on a vindicator that rides a ravager during a raid in Hard difficulty, the vindicator rider can deal great damage to a player without protection from a shield.
Illagers and ravagers come to the aid of another illager of the same type to defeat mobs who attack it. For example, pillagers attack a skeleton that injures another pillager, but pillagers do not aid a vindicator hit by a skeleton.
After Texture Update, illagers still use the java 1.14 snapshot texture, including some of the marketplace textures (for example, vindicator's eyes and pillager's arms).  Also Ravager's legs texture is different that Java edition.
- Illager structures are always themed around dark oak wood.
- The ominous banner [JE only] / illager banner [BE & EE only] is uncraftable. The player can obtain it only by killing a raid captain, either from pillager outposts or through the use of commands.
- All illagers' eyes are green[BE & EE only] with the exception of vindicators,[JE only] which have blue eyes. In the Texture Update, vindicators and illusioners were changed have to green eyes, but in the Java snapshot 18w47b the color of the vindicator's eyes was turned to blue again. This might be a reference to The Shining Easter Egg for the "Johnny" vindicator.
A poster by Mojang Studios of the Village and Pillage update.
An illager patrol looking at a villager secretly at night.
A vindicator from Minecraft Mobestiary.
An illusioner, an unused mob in Java Edition.
- "The Illagers were created because we were talking about having some kind of generic, evil soldier mob in the game - slightly more intelligent than skeletons. It felt natural to have an evil villager. We figured they were ill-willed villagers and so from the beginning they were supposed to be "Ill Villagers". And then Tommaso suggested they should be EVIL-agers - and then we cut it down to just Illagers."-Jens Bergensten-"Meet the Vindicator" – Minecraft.net, June 20, 2017
- – resolved as "Works As Intended"