40 × 20
In Java Edition:
|Items usable on|
Hoglins are found in herds of 3–4 in crimson forests, respawning over time. Several spawn in the "hoglin stable" type of bastion remnant upon generation. 5% of hoglins spawn as babies. Hoglins can spawn at any light level and on most solid blocks other than nether wart blocks. Despite being able to spawn at any light level, hoglins also cannot spawn on shroomlights, which are solid blocks. Hoglins spawn in peaceful mode in Bedrock.
Adult hoglins drop when killed:
- 2–4 raw porkchop (cooked porkchop while on fire). The maximum amount is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 7 with Looting III.
- 0–1 leather. The maximum amount is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 4 with Looting III.
- 5 if killed by a player or tamed wolf.
- Baby hoglins drop only experience.
- In Bedrock Edition, adult hoglins drop 1–3, if killed by a player or tamed wolf, while baby hoglins drop no experience.
Hoglins avoid warped fungi (including in a flower pot), nether portals and respawn anchors. They naturally sink in water and eventually drown. They also sink in lava and are vulnerable to fire damage. Hoglins can be led with a lead despite the fact they are hostile.
Hoglins attack any player within 32 blocks with a reach of 1.9 blocks. An adult knocks its target upwards. Players can still be flung even if they block with a shield. Baby hoglins also attack, dealing less damage without flinging. If the player attacks a baby hoglin, it flees. Hoglins do not attack a player standing near a block that repels them, but run away from the block unless they have already chosen to attack. Hoglins are 60% resistant to knockback. Unlike other hostile mobs, they do not prevent a player from sleeping.
Hoglins are hostile to piglins if a piglin attacks first. Hoglins also flee if outnumbered.
Hoglins that spawn in a stable bastion remnant do not attack piglins and vice-versa.
Baby piglins run near and ride baby hoglins. If there are more baby piglins than baby hoglins, the baby piglins occasionally jump on other baby piglins already riding a baby hoglin, with a maximum of 3 stacked on a single baby hoglin.
If a baby hoglin is attacked by the player, it temporarily becomes neutral, fleeing the player after getting attacked.
If a hoglin spawns in or moves to the Overworld or the End, it will shake and then transform into a zoglin after 15 seconds. Any lead attached to the hoglin breaks when it converts. Leads attached to hoglins still break, even though zoglins are leashable.[Java Edition only] The newly-created zoglin gets Nausea I for 10 seconds. This Nausea effect is only decorative and has no effect on the zoglin's behavior.
Hoglins can be bred with crimson fungi; they are the only hostile mob that can be bred. It takes about 5 minutes before the parents can breed again, and it takes 20 minutes for baby hoglins to mature. They stay near their parents unless they see a player or get attacked, in which case they attack or run away. Feeding a baby hoglin reduces the remaining time for it to mature by 10%.
Hoglins cannot be bred when they are running away from warped fungi, respawn anchors or Nether portals.
Breeding a hoglin prevents it from despawning.
The specific instructions are: Howl sounds from bedrock edition and retreat sound 4.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Hoglin growls||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin randomly growls.||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin growls angrily||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin chases a player.||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin attacks||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin impales the player with its tusks.||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin retreats||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin runs away from warped fungus, nether portal, respawn anchor, or hunting piglin.||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin hurts||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin is attacked by the player.||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin dies||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin is killed by the player.||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin steps||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin walks around the area.||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin converts to Zoglin||Hostile Creatures||Hoglin converts into a zoglin via the overworld or the end.||0.9||1||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Hoglins have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- CannotBeHunted: 1 or 0 (true/false) - if true, piglins do not attack the hoglin. Set to true for hoglins spawned as a part of bastion remnants.
- IsImmuneToZombification: 1 or 0 (true/false) – if true, the hoglin does not transform to a zoglin when in the Overworld and
TimeInOverworlddoes not increment.
- TimeInOverworld: The number of ticks that the hoglin has existed in the Overworld; the hoglin converts to a zoglin when this is greater than 300.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs:
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 34 mobs:
|The Parrots and the Bats||Breed two animals together||Husbandry||Breed a pair of any of these 21 mobs:[upcoming: JE 1.17]
|Two by Two||Breed all the animals!||The Parrots and the Bats||Breed pairs of each of these 21 mobs:[upcoming: JE 1.17]
|September 28, 2019||Piglin beasts are announced at MINECON Live 2019. They have a noticably slanted body section and two versions were shown with differing eye spacings.|
|October 19, 2019||The piglin beast has been retextured, remodeled and renamed to hoglin.|
|December 5, 2019||A video shows a baby hoglin.|
|Currently, the mane texture of hoglins has a texture glitch.|
|Hoglins currently have no function of attacking the player when provoked or breeding them.|
|Hoglins drop rotten flesh.|
|The hitbox size of hoglins is currently the same as an adult pig's hitbox.|
|Due to a bug, the legs and ears of a hoglin spasm wildly when moved or attacked.|
|20w07a||Added baby hoglins.|
|Hoglins now drop raw porkchops and leather.|
|Hoglins can now be bred with crimson fungi.|
|Hoglins are now hostile toward the player.|
|Hoglins now have their own sounds and subtitles.|
|Hoglins now run away from warped fungi.|
|20w09a||The textures of hoglins have been changed.|
|The texture of the mane of hoglins has been fixed, which has changed the textures from to . Also, the color channels of the transparent pixels have now all been filled with black.|
|Baby hoglins can now be ridden by baby piglins.|
|20w11a||Baby hoglins now drop experience.|
|20w14a||Hoglins are now converted into zoglins when in the Overworld.|
|Hoglins now avoid nether portals and respawn anchors.|
|The texture file of hoglins has been downscaled and their parts rearranged, meaning the file now looks like this instead of this .|
|20w15a||Baby hoglins no longer drop loot.|
|20w16a||Hoglins now spawn in bastion remnants.|
|20w17a||One of the new converts to zoglin sounds has been added.|
|20w19a||Hoglins now become zoglins when in the End.|
|Pre-release 6||Hoglins now have a knockback resistance of 0.6 instead of 0.5.|
|Hoglins now have separate textures for each tusk.|
|1.16.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Added hoglins and baby hoglins.|
|The hitbox size of hoglins is currently the same as an adult pig's hitbox.|
|Hoglins take damage from fire and lava.|
|Hoglins currently use the player's hurt sound.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||The model of hoglins has now been changed to match Java Edition's.|
|However, baby hoglins still do not have big-sized heads, unlike Java Edition.|
|Hoglins now have sounds.|
|Hoglins now spawn in bastion remnants.|
|Hoglins can now drop leather when killed.|
|Hoglins are now converted into zoglins when in the Overworld.|
|The attack damage of adult hoglins is now on a random scale.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||The model of baby hoglins has now been changed: they now have big heads like in Java Edition.|
|Sounds for hoglins converting to zoglins have been added. However, they're using the same converting sounds as piglins do.|
|Hoglins now flee from zoglins.|
|Hoglins no longer despawn in Peaceful mode.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Hoglins now have knockback resistance.|
|Hoglins no longer flee from zoglins.|
|1.16.100||beta 188.8.131.52||Hoglins now avoid respawn anchors.|
|Baby Hoglins now deal appropriate damage.|
|Baby Hoglin now have drops after being killed by the player.|
- Similar to the ravager originally being called "illager beast" before its official name was chosen by the community, the Hoglin's name was also chosen by the community. Its initial placeholder name was piglin beast.
- The hoglin is the only hostile mob that can be bred, other than the unused killer bunny.
- Baby hoglins are the only baby mobs that both grow up and drop experience when killed.
- In Bedrock Edition, there are unused texture files named
hoglin_meat_cookedthat are textured identically to raw beef and steak, respectively.
- Hoglins are the only general nether mob that does not spawn in the nether wastes biome.
- The hoglins have no pupils, unlike overworld pigs.
- Henrik Kniberg released a video of a group of hoglins killing a piglin, then "celebrating" by bobbing their heads, then getting on their hind legs and dancing. This feature was never added into any snapshot and is not actually in Minecraft.
- The left nostril of the hoglin's snout is a pixel larger than the right nostril.
A preview of hoglins in the crimson forest.
A preview of a hoglin along with a piglin in the crimson forest.
These images were showcased at Minecon Live 2019 or afterward, but before hoglins were added in 20w06a.
Hoglins, showing a crooked model.
An early model of the hoglin attacked by piglins.
An early model of the hoglin attacking the player.
The original hoglin spawn egg as seen in MINECON Live 2019.
- "MINECON Live 2019 @ 2:19:23"– September 28, 2019 on YouTube
- Hoglin dance (blooper - not actually in the game); Henrik Kniberg - May 25, 2020
- [Invalid]: "We're closing Hoglin related bugs as the feature implemented right now is basically a placeholder."
- "No, piglin, don't hunt the baby hoglins." – @henrikkniberg, December 5, 2019
- "Rendering is hard O_o" – @_Ulraf_, January 16, 2020