Gold ore is a fairly rare ore found in Minecraft. When mined with an iron pickaxe or better, it drops one gold ore. It serves little use in crafting tools because the resulting tools won't be very durable, a fact often overlooked by players. Gold ore is found deeper than many ores in the game, below layer 30.
Gold has some uses for crafting items. Gold ore is used to make gold ingots in furnaces through smelting. Gold ingots are used to craft items such as gold pickaxes. The durability of gold tools is very poor, but it is the fastest tool in terms of breaking blocks. Gold ingots can be used for crafting clocks, which allows players to find out what time it is on the surface when they are in their mines or shelters. Gold ingots can be used to make golden apples, which can heal two hunger points and has a Regeneration effect. It also can be used to craft powered rails, gold blocks and Netherite Ingots. Additionally, it is used in bartering with Piglins. Gold tools have similar strength and durability to their wood counterparts, but mines any material faster than other tools. Gold armor has similar strength and durability to leather armor, but the presence of a player with at least one piece of gold armor on does not aggravate piglins. Thus, gold is usually only worn/used for leisure and fashion. Other uses of gold include decorative purposes, catchy or insanely expensive structures that usually look pretty. Gold tools and armor have 33 uses, but the tools can break blocks extremely fast, faster than diamond.
Gold ore is one of the rarest ores, slightly more common than diamond, and it makes the fastest tools, but has the least number of uses. A very popular thing to do with it is to use it as a lava bath or a base layer for some monster traps. Gold ore is smelted to make golden ingots. Nine gold ingots are used for gold blocks, which are used as gold storage, building, or for crafting Enchanted Apples (Enchanted Golden Apples are no longer craftable [Still can be crafted on Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition]).
Gold Ore requires an iron pickaxe or better to harvest, otherwise it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- ↑ Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
- In Survival Test, gold ore gave 1 gold block without having to smelt anything.
- Many individuals claim that gold is their least favorite material. Others claim wooden tools are better, even though it takes an iron pickaxe to mine gold ore.
- A gold pickaxe can harvest anything a player can harvest with a wooden pickaxe.
- Gold is most common in Badland Biomes.
- In the Java 1.16 Snapshot, there is a variant of gold ore that generates in The Nether that drops 2-6 gold nuggets when mined. It only requires a wooden pickaxe to mine, unlike in The Overworld.
- Gilded Blackstone has a 10% chance of dropping 2-5 golden nuggets when breaking it.
- Gold ore is the only ore that can't be mined with a Pickaxe of the same material.