The glow squid is a variant of squid with an aqua luminescent texture.
- 1–3 Glow Ink Sacs. The maximum amount is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 1–6 with Looting III.
- 1–3 Experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
- As with all other baby animals, killing a baby glow squid yields no items or experience.[Bedrock Edition only]
Glow squid, like regular squid, wander around aimlessly in three dimensions as long as they are in water, opening and closing their tentacles, which gives them the appearance of pushing themselves leisurely forward.
Glow squid suffocate when out of water, dying after 300 game ticks (15 seconds). While on land, they remain stationary until they suffocate. They can take fall damage and burn like any other land mob, but they cannot drown. When out of the water, glow squid are extremely resistant to knockback.
Glow squid are passive toward the player. They are not attracted to light and do not deliberately interact with the player.
Glow squid cannot swim in lava, even if given a Fire Resistance effect. They simply pass through the lava and behave as if on land.
Unlike land-based mobs, glow squid can swim against a current and not get pushed by it.[Java Edition only]
Glow squid constantly produce star-shaped particles around them as well as a cloud of turquoise ink particles and swim away covering much longer distances when attacked, both of which remain visible when the glow squid has the invisibility effect.
Glow squid sometimes beach themselves and suffocate on the banks of rivers and occasionally on ocean beaches. This is a behavior shared with normal squids due to long lasting bugs in their AI.
Glow squid are attacked by axolotls.
Although glow squids have a baby variant in Bedrock Edition, there is currently no way to breed them.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Glow Squid swims||Friendly Creatures||Randomly when in water||?||?||?|
|Glow Squid dies||Friendly Creatures||Dying||?||?||?|
|Glow Squid hurts||Friendly Creatures||Taking damage||?||?||?|
|Glow Squid shoots ink||Friendly Creatures||Shooting ink||?||?||?|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Entity tags (JE)||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Glow squids have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- DarkTicksRemaining: How many ticks until the Glow Squid starts glowing. Set to 0 while glowing, positive values mean it's not glowing.
|September 27, 2020||The glow squid, moobloom, and iceologer are announced as the mobs in the Minecraft Live 2020 mob vote, which consists of mobs from Minecraft's spin-off games, Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth.|
|October 3, 2020||The glow squid wins the mob vote.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.17||21w03a||Added the glow squid.|
|21w13a||Glow squids now spawn in underground water sources.|
|1.16.210||beta 22.214.171.124||Added the glow squid. Ink particles are currently black as normal squid, unlike Java Edition.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||The glow squid has been temporarily removed due to a crash.|
|1.16.220||beta 188.8.131.52||Re-added glow squids.|
|Glow Squids now squirt the same coloured particles when hit as on Java Edition.|
|release||Glow squids have been made inaccessible in the full release.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.17.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Now spawn in any any biome and up to Y-63 instead of Y-30.|
|Glow Squids are no longer available only through Experimental Gameplay.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Added a sound when glow squids shoot out ink.|
|0.13.0||Added the glow squid.|
- The glow squid won the Minecraft Live 2020 mob vote, beating the Iceologer and Moobloom.
- Glow squids are one of the four mobs added as the result of community support, the others being phantoms, foxes, and goats.
- Neither Bedrock Edition nor Java Edition render glow squids with the pulsating animation they have in Minecraft Earth.
- The glow squid is the first mob from a spin-off game to be included in the base game. It is one of the two mobs remaining from Minecraft Earth after its shutdown on June 30th 2021, the other being the wooly cow, which is also part of the Howling Peaks DLC in Minecraft Dungeons.
- Like normal squids, glow squids remain stationary when the player is in spectator mode or is far enough from the squid for this behavior to occur. When attacked in this state, they are unable to flee.
Glow squid from Minecraft Plus.