Minecraft Wiki
Advertisement
This article is about Overworld fossils. For the similar structures generated in the Soul Sand Valley, see Nether Fossil.

A fossil is a rarely-occurring skeletal structure composed of bone blocks, coal ore, or diamond ore.

Generation[]

Fossils randomly generate within y-coordinates 0 to 320 or -63 to -8 underground, only in the desert and swamp biomes in the Overworld. Each chunk has a 164 chance to generate a fossil. They may generate as one of the four variants of skull or one of the four variants of spine.

Fossils first generate the pure-bone block fossil with a structure integrity of 0.9, meaning 10% of blocks are replaced by structure voids, leaving 90% bone blocks. Next, the coal fossil generates with a structure integrity of 0.1, with 90% of the fossil blocks are replaced by voids, leaving 10% coal. The locations of coal blocks do not always correspond with the voids generated in the bone fossil, so the resulting combination of both generations combine to make an incomplete fossil structure composed of bone blocks, coal, and structure voids.

As of 1.18, there are two types of fossils, each having a 164 chance to generate per chunk. One fossil generates with coal ore between levels 0 and 320. Another with diamond ore rather than coal ore generates from level -63 to -8.

Structure[]

Main article: /Structure

Naturally-generated fossils are composed of a mix of bone blocks, coal or diamond ores, and structure voids, as detailed above. They are made with the NBT structure block format and have NBT files for each type of fossil located in the folder minecraft.jar/data/minecraft/structures/fossil.

There are 4 type of skulls and 4 type of spines.

Structure name Description Consists of Images
fossil/skull_1
fossil/skull_1_coal
The largest skull.

86 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Skull 1.png
fossil/skull_2
fossil/skull_2_coal
The second largest skull.

75 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Skull 2.png
fossil/skull_3
fossil/skull_3_coal
The second smallest skull.

58 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Skull 3.png
fossil/skull_4
fossil/skull_4_coal
The smallest skull, one-eyed.

32 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Skull 4.png
fossil/spine_1
fossil/spine_1_coal
The narrowest spine.

37 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Spine 1.png
fossil/spine_2
fossil/spine_2_coal
The second narrowest spine.

61 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Spine 2.png
fossil/spine_3
fossil/spine_3_coal
The second widest spine.

97 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Spine 3.png
fossil/spine_4
fossil/spine_4_coal
The widest spine.

121 in total Bone Block, Coal Ore, or Deepslate Diamond Ore

Fossil Spine 4.png

History[]

May 13, 2016ProfMobius tweets an image of the new structure blocks in action, generating what appears to be a fossil made of quartz.
Java Edition
1.1016w20aAdded fossils.
September 28, 2019Prerelease footage of the soul sand valley biome at MINECON Live 2019 appears to have used these fossils (as opposed to the distinct nether fossils).
1.1620w22aFossils can no longer overwrite desert pyramids or the end portal room of strongholds.
1.1721w06aFossils can now generate in the air due to a bug.[1]
21w10aFossils that generate below Y=0 now generate with either normal or deepslate diamond ore instead of coal ore.
Fossils can no longer generate in the air.
21w15aBecause world generation has been reverted, fossils generate the way they did before the 1.17 snapshots.
1.18Experimental Snapshot 1The fossil generation changes in the 1.17 snapshots have been reintroduced.
experimental snapshot 5Fossils with diamond ore no longer generate above the deepslate level.
Pocket Edition
1.1.3alpha 1.1.3.0Added fossils.
Bedrock Edition
1.18.10beta 1.18.10.21Fossils that generate below Y=0 now generate with either normal or deepslate diamond ore instead of coal ore.
Legacy Console Edition
TU43CU33 1.36 Patch 131.0.1Added fossils.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition
1.9.19Added fossils.

Issues[]

Issues relating to "Fossil" are maintained on the bug tracker. Report issues there.

Trivia[]

  • Hidden in the structure NBT is data that credits ProfMobius with the creation of the fossils.

Gallery[]

Odd generation[]

See also[]

References[]

  1. MC-214784 – "Fossils can generate floating in caves" – resolved as "Fixed"
Advertisement