The Eye of Ender is an item that can be crafted by combining an Ender Pearl and Blaze Powder. The Eye of Ender is greenish-blue in color, with similar features to an eye, though different than the eye of an Enderman.
A player can craft Eyes of Ender and throw them into the air to gradually lead them to a nearby Stronghold containing an End Portal. Once the end portal is located, a player can place Eyes of Ender into each slot of the End Portal Frame to activate the portal. The Eye of Ender is capable of floating through solid blocks, as it leads a player to a stronghold, so digging may be required. It is even possible for it to float straight into the End Portal itself.
When an Eye of Ender is thrown, it will float diagonally upwards for about 15 blocks in the direction of the nearest stronghold, emitting a trail of purple particles. Eyes of Ender will float in the air approximately three seconds before either falling back to the ground as a collectable item that can be used again, or shattering (an explosion of particles, which has a 1 in 5 chance of occurring). When a player throws an Eye of Ender within around 20 blocks of a stronghold, the Eye of Ender will float towards (or into) the ground.
| Eye of Ender|
As a Crafting Ingredient
|Obsidian||Eye of Ender||Obsidian|
- The Eye of Ender was first added as an item in Beta 1.9 Pre-release 3, but had no use until the 4th Pre-release, when each Eye could be placed in a portal block or used to home in on a Stronghold.
- In the beta version of Minecraft, the Eye of Ender looked slightly larger when viewed in 3rd person view.
- Eyes of Ender are green, and before Beta 1.9 pre-release, an Enderman's eyes used to be green, so this item's appearance may not be a coincidence.
- There is a bug where, if an Eye of Ender is thrown at a tree, it will disappear when it comes in contact with it.
- Sometimes, The Eye of Ender can be obtained through trading with Villagers, though this is not common.
- As of the 1.0 Update, Eyes of Ender are obtainable in Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition, as well as Ender Pearls. Prior to this, Eyes of Ender were unobtainable, even in Creative Mode.