|Can generate in
The exit portal always generates at the coordinates
0,0 in the End biome, and is de-activated whenever an ender dragon fight is in progress. The y-level of the portal is determined by the height of the terrain, placing the portal blocks at the y-level of the highest block found at
0,0. If the exit portal spawns at the top of the world, the portal blocks will be the highest blocks generated, with the top 3 blocks of the bedrock pillar failing to generate due to the maximum build height having been reached. If there are no blocks at
0,0, then the portal will generate out of bounds, and only the top 3 blocks of the bedrock pillar will generate.
The exit portal looks similar to the end portal but differs in its design. Instead of a frame of end portal frame blocks, it has a 7-block wide bowl-shaped frame of bedrock, and a central pillar of bedrock with a torch on each side. A dragon egg generates atop the pillar upon defeating the ender dragon for the first time.
If an entity other than a player goes through, like falling sand or thrown items, it is sent to the world spawn.
If a player dies above the portal (for example by flying into the bedrock column with enough momentum) the player goes through. In Java Edition, the player's items disappear. In Bedrock Edition the player's items return to the world spawn point.
Using custom world generation, if the end biome appears around the origin in the Overworld, the Nether, or a custom dimension, then the exit portal appears at
0,0 with the portal blocks in place. However, instead of taking the player to their spawn point, the portal takes them to the End dimension.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4||Added the exit portal along with the End.|
|1.9||15w31a||The exit portal no longer generates after the dragon is killed. It is now pre-generated, but without the dragon egg and portal blocks, and it is inactive while the ender dragon lives.|
|15w44a||End crystals on the exit portal in a specific arrangement can now respawn the dragon.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added the exit portal.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU9||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added the exit portal.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|1.7.10||Added the Exit portal.|
- In Bedrock Edition, if the player manages to break all of the end portal blocks in the exit portal, the entire structure regenerates after 5 seconds.
- If all of the portal blocks have end crystals above (so the fire constantly eliminates the portal), this regeneration process repeats until a portal block successfully regenerates.
- If an End Portal is built in Creative mode in The End or generated through custom world generation, then it also acts as an Exit Portal.
- If the exit portal generates at the tallest possible height and the ender dragon is defeated, the portal blocks will spawn in the exit portal as normal, but the dragon egg will not spawn due to its intended location surpassing the build height limit.
- In Bedrock Edition, if there are other end portal blocks in the End and the exit portal structure is completely destroyed, it will not regenerate until the other end portal blocks are removed.