Height: 0.25 Blocks
|Ender Pearl||Stronghold||Altar chest||1||23.3%|
|Ender Pearl||Stronghold||Altar chest||1||22.6%|
Ender pearls can be thrown by pressing use. After it is thrown, the ender pearl is consumed, and the player teleports to where it lands, taking 5 damage. Wearing armor enchanted with Protection and/or Feather Falling reduces the damage taken from the ender pearl. With enough Protection, Feather Falling and/or potions of healing and enough ender pearls, a player can travel a long distance quickly.
The direction and velocity of ender pearl throws is slightly randomized.
Ender pearls can travel about 30 blocks when thrown straight up (45 on Bedrock) and up to 54 blocks forward when thrown at an optimum launch angle of ~35° (on even ground).
The thrower's vertical velocity influences the throw. Hence timing a throw with a jump can increase the throwing range to 42 blocks when thrown straight up and 64 blocks forward at a 35° angle. Throwing while falling significantly decreases the range.
Ender pearls collide with tripwire, cobwebs, vines, grass, dead bushes, ferns, flowers, all sapling types, all mushrooms types, all minecart types, boats, end crystals and nether portals, and travel through end portals.
Ender pearls that fall into the void disappear, and do not trigger the player to teleport. However, ender pearl entities (instead of dropped items) are not destroyed by lava and will teleport the player to the bottom of lava pools/lava oceans.
Ender pearls have a cooldown of one second before they can be used again. The cooldown is shown in the hotbar by a white overlay on the ender pearl that shrinks and must disappear before the player can use it again.
Ender pearls can be thrown into End gateways to reach the outer islands of the End.
Ender pearls can be thrown into Exit portal to reach the place you last rested.
Ender pearl teleportation is completely silent.[Java Edition only]
|Eye of Ender||Blaze Powder +
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Ender Pearl flies||?||?||?||(<1.0)||16|
|Item||Namespaced ID||Form||Translation key|
|Entity||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Item||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Form||Translation key|
|Entity||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Thrown ender pearls have entity data that define various properties of the entity.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all projectiles
- Item: The item to render as, may be absent.
- Tags common to all items
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Beam Me Up||Teleport over 100 meters from a single throw of an Ender Pearl||—||20G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Bullseye||Hit the bullseye of a Target block from at least 30 meters away||Take Aim||Be at least 30 blocks away when the center of a target is shot with a projectile horizontally by the player.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.8||Pre-release||Added ender pearls along with endermen.|
|Ender pearls have no use, but can stack up to 64.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Ender pearls are now less commonly found near bodies of water since endermen now teleport away when in contact with water. Before this version, endermen didn't attempt to teleport and were damaged/killed from water much more frequently, causing numerous ender pearls to occur around bodies of water.|
|Later, on a suggestion from Reddit user isJesus, Notch implemented the teleporting feature for ender pearls.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Added teleporting feature to ender pearls.|
|Using an ender pearl to teleport resulted in being kicked from servers for "hacking". This is due to a check triggering that was supposed to prevent modified clients from moving too quickly.|
|Ender pearls now only stack up to 16|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Ender pearls are now used to craft eyes of ender.|
|Ender pearls can now be found in the new stronghold altar chests.|
|1.3.1||12w24a||The texture of ender pearls have been changed.|
|1.8||14w02a||As part of the revamp of the trading system, cleric villagers now buy ender pearls.|
|14w03a||Villager clerics no longer buy ender pearls.|
|14w11b||Ender pearls have a 5% chance to spawn endermites when used.|
|1.9||15w31a||Ender pearls can now be thrown in creative mode.|
|15w34c||Ender pearls now have a cooldown after using.|
|15w41a||Villager clerics now sell ender pearls for 4–7 emeralds, as one of their tier III trades.|
|15w49a||Now take the thrower's motion into account. For example, an ender pearl thrown forward will land closer if the player is falling, and land farther if the player is ascending.|
|1.10||16w21a||Ender pearls can now teleport riders off their mounts.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID of ender pearls has been changed from |
|16w39a||Ender pearls can now be found in woodland mansions' fake portal room chests.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 368.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of ender pearls has been changed.|
|1.16||20w07a||Ender pearls have a 2⁄109 (~1.83%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 2–4.|
|20w09a||Ender pearls now have a 10⁄226 (~4.42%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 1–5.|
|20w10a||Ender pearls now have a 20⁄411 (~4.87%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 4–8.|
|1.16.2||20w28a||Ender pearls now have a 10⁄459 (~2.18%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 2–4.|
|Pre-Release 1||Ender pearls are now affected by bubble columns, and no longer get destroyed at contact with non-solid blocks (fixing ).|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.14.0||build 1||Added ender pearls.|
|While fully implemented, ender pearls currently have no assigned ID and are currently unobtainable in-game.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Ender pearls are now obtainable in-game.|
|Ender pearls can now be used to craft eyes of ender.|
|alpha 22.214.171.124||Ender pearls now require a 1-second cooldown.|
|alpha 126.96.36.199||Ender pearl cooldown now has an animation.|
|1.0.4||alpha 188.8.131.52||Ender pearls can now be bought from cleric villagers for 4-7 emeralds.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||Ender pearls can now be found in woodland mansions' chests.|
|1.10.0||beta 220.127.116.11||The texture of ender pearls has been changed.|
|1.11.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Trading has been changed, expert-level cleric villagers now sell an ender pearl for 5 emeralds as part of their trade.|
|1.16.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Ender pearls can now be obtained from bartering with piglins.|
|1.16.100||beta 126.96.36.199||Ender pearls now have a 10⁄459 (~2.18%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 2–4.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added ender pearls.|
|TU7||A teleporting feature has been added to ender pearls.|
|1.90||The texture of ender pearls has been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|1.7.10||Added ender pearls.|
- Ender pearls can be used to teleport/move through non-solid blocks without suffocation and solid blocks by pressing against the blocks and using the ender pearl at the player's feet until the player goes through.
- It is possible to spawn a thrown ender pearl using commands, but it does not teleport, displaying only the ender pearl sprite and disappearing.
- If the player throws an ender pearl and then dies before impact while the pearl is in a loaded chunk, the pearl disappears and the player is not teleported. Pearls in unloaded chunks do not disappear if their owner dies.
- If the player throws an ender pearl in Survival mode and changes to Creative mode before the pearl lands, the player is still teleported.
- The player is still teleported by throwing an ender pearl and entering the Nether before it lands. The pearl is not lost if an ender pearl is thrown into a nether portal and the player travels through the portal; the pearl lands and teleports the player as usual.
- If multiple ender pearls are thrown in succession, the player can be hurt only once from fall damage within about a one-second span.
- If a player dies from ender pearl teleportation, the death message says: "<player> hit the ground too hard".
- Ender pearls have a small cone of travel; they do not all follow the same path when thrown in the same direction.
- A thrown ender pearl faces toward the player in first-person view, and appears rotated horizontal in third-person view. This is the case for all throwable items (ender pearl, egg, snowball, and all type of throwable potions).
- Ender pearls and snowballs have the exact same range when fired. Therefore, snowballs can be used to predict the trajectory of ender pearls, or simply for practicing ender pearl throwing. This can be very helpful when the player has to throw ender pearls in dangerous environments, such as the Nether or the End.
Ender pearls were formerly found in water, however endermen now teleport out to prevent damage.