|Can generate in
Yes, while the Ender Dragon is respawning
If the End biome is used in the overworld, End spikes generates without bedrock and end crystals, only obsidian, with some of them containing iron bars. End spikes generate near coordinates 0,0. If the terrain is high enough, End spikes can generate buried or inside caverns but generates air blocks around and on top of it. If End biomes generate next to other biomes near 0,0 only some End spikes generate.
When the ender dragon respawns, any blocks the player had placed are deleted within a 10 block radius of the bedrock block at the top of the end spikes.
The following 10 pillars generate in a 43-block radius circle around the exit portal in a random order (total of 40499 obsidian):
- A 3-block radius pillar ending at y=76 (total of 1596 blocks of obsidian);
- A 3-block radius pillar with iron bars ending at y=79 (total of 1659 blocks of obsidian);
- A 3-block radius pillar with iron bars ending at y=82 (total of 1722 blocks of obsidian);
- A 4-block radius pillar ending at y=85 (total of 3145 blocks of obsidian);
- A 4-block radius pillar ending at y=88 (total of 3256 blocks of obsidian);
- A 4-block radius pillar ending at y=91 (total of 3367 blocks of obsidian);
- A 5-block radius pillar ending at y=94 (total of 5358 blocks of obsidian);
- A 5-block radius pillar ending at y=97 (total of 5529 blocks of obsidian);
- A 5-block radius pillar ending at y=100 (total of 5700 blocks of obsidian);
- A 6-block radius pillar ending at y=103 (total of 9167 blocks of obsidian).
The bottom of all pillars are at Y level 0, which means that pillars are generated through the island.
The second and third shortest pillars include a cage comprised of 73 iron bars surrounding the end crystal, to protect it from projectiles.
|[No displayed name]|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4||Added end spikes along with the End.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6||Introduced end crystals and placed them on top of the pillars.|
|1.9||15w31a||The tallest obsidian pillars now have iron bars around their end crystal.|
|The pillars now generate in a circle around the exit portal.|
|There are now exactly 10 pillars, with tops at y=76, 79, 82, 85, 88, 91, 94, 97, 100, and 103.|
|16w07a||The pillars no longer generate with iron bars.|
|pre1||Some of the shorter pillars now generate with iron bars again.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.18||Experimental Snapshot 1||End spikes no longer appear upon initial generation of the End, and only generate when the ender dragon is respawned. This is unintentional due to world generation changes in the Overworld accidently causing changes in the Nether and the End.|
|21w37a||End spikes appear upon initial generation of the End once again.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added end spikes along with the End.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU9||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added end spikes along with the End.|
A square obsidian pillar (no longer possible since 1.9).
Square obsidian pillars can generate naturally in 1.14.