Emeralds can be mined from Emerald Ore, which can only be found in same chunks as Mountains Biomes, making them very rare to find. Emeralds will only drop when mined with a Pickaxe made of Iron or Diamond. If a Pickaxe is enchanted with Silk Touch, then the ore will need to be Smelted in a Furnace/Blast Furnace to obtain the emeralds.
Emeralds can also be found in Villages, as they are the main currency used in the villager trading system.
Foxes that are holding emeralds have a chance to drop it upon death.
Emeralds can generate in chests found in woodland mansions, village temples, Igloos, village armorer houses, village shepherd houses, village butcher houses, village mason houses, Underwater Ruins, village tannery, Buried Treasure, Desert Temples, jungle temples, Strongholds and End Cities.
|Block of Emerald|| x9 Emerald|
|Emerald||Emerald||Emerald||None||Block of Emerald||None|
- They are rarer than diamonds, but can't be crafted into any tools or armor.
- The gem itself isn't very rare, as it can be obtained through villager trading. It is just the ore that is rare.
- The emerald was originally going to be Ruby.
- Jeb released a screenshot where he was using a ruby texture for the villager trading system. Jeb changed the idea to make emeralds instead of rubies, but he accidentally released a 1.3 snapshot using the ruby texture. However, it was still named emerald, even though it had a ruby texture.
- Emeralds can be found in Igloo chests, desert temple chests, jungle temple chests, and End City chests.
- In Bedrock Edition, when a player is holding an emerald near a villager, the villager will show anything on their trades that are on sale and requires emeralds to buy. Similarly, a villager may also be shown holding an emerald when they find a player holding a specific item that they are willing to trade for.
- In the Pocket/Bedrock Edition, an emerald will appear on top of the villager's head while the trading interface is open.
- There is proof by the 1.2.14 update where the interface will come from the bottom of the screen, giving 1 second of showing the emerald.