Minecraft has several editions, some of which are discontinued.
Minecraft: Java Edition (formerly Minecraft) is the original version of Minecraft, developed by Mojang Studios for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Notch began development on May 10, 2009, publicly releasing Minecraft on May 17, 2009. The full release of the game was on November 18, 2011, at MINECON 2011. The latest Java Edition version is 1.18.2.
Bedrock Edition (also known as the "Bedrock editions", "Bedrock versions", or just "Bedrock") refers to the multi-platform versions of Minecraft developed by Mojang Studios, Xbox Game Studios, and SkyBox Labs and based on the Bedrock codebase. The latest Bedrock Edition version is 1.18.33.
Legacy Console Edition
Legacy Console Edition refers collectively to several nearly identical versions of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios for game consoles. It comprises of:
- Xbox 360 Edition (Final version: TU75)
- Xbox One Edition (Final version: CU58)
- PlayStation 3 Edition (Final version: 1.84)
- PlayStation 4 Edition (Final version: 1.95)
- PlayStation Vita Edition (Final version: 1.84)
- Wii U Edition (Final version: Patch 43)
- Nintendo Switch Edition (Final version: 1.0.17)
Legacy Console Edition introduced new features such as a simplified crafting system, in-game tutorials, leaderboards, built-in mini games and split-screen multiplayer (excluding PlayStation Vita Edition), as well as online multiplayer for up to sixteen players,[Xbox One and PlayStation 4 editions only] which required a PlayStation Plus membership (PS4), Xbox Live Gold membership (Xbox One), Nintendo Network ID (Wii U), or Nintendo Switch Online membership. As with all editions, updates were free of charge.
MinecraftEdu is a sandbox indie educational video game written in Java, developed by TeacherGaming, published by E-Line Media, and licensed by Mojang Studios. It is meant as an educational version of Minecraft.
Minecraft: Pi Edition is a version of Minecraft developed for the Raspberry Pi. It is based on Pocket Edition Alpha v0.6.1 but slightly cut down, containing a revised feature set and support for multiple programming languages. Pi Edition is intended as an educational tool for novice programmers.
Minecraft: Education Edition is an educational version of Minecraft specifically designed for classroom use. It is being developed by Mojang Studios and Xbox Game Studios and contains features that make Minecraft easy to use in a classroom setting.
Minecraft: China Edition is a localized version of Java and Bedrock editions for mainland China, developed by Mojang Studios and NetEase.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition
Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the version of Minecraft developed by Other Ocean Interactive and Mojang Studios for the New Nintendo 3DS/2DS systems, but is not compatible with the original Nintendo 3DS/2DS systems. The final version was 1.9.19.
|Java Edition||Bedrock Edition
[note 1][note 2]
|Legacy Console Edition
|Merged with LCE
|Edition||Released on||Discontinued on|
|Java Edition||May 17, 2009||—|
||📱 Pocket Edition||August 16, 2011|
|Windows 10 Edition||July 29, 2015|
|Gear VR Edition||April 27, 2016||September 3, 2020|
|Apple TV Edition||December 19, 2016||August 7, 2017|
|Fire TV Edition||December 19, 2016||April 22, 2021|
|Xbox One||September 20, 2017||—|
|Nintendo Switch||June 21, 2018|
|PlayStation 4||December 10, 2019|
|Education Edition||November 1, 2016|
|China Edition||August 8, 2017|
|Legacy Console Edition||Xbox 360 Edition||May 9, 2012||April 30, 2019|
|Xbox One Edition||September 5, 2014||December 3, 2019|
|PlayStation 3 Edition||December 17, 2013||April 15, 2020|
|PlayStation 4 Edition||September 4, 2014||September 9, 2019|
|PlayStation Vita Edition||October 14, 2014||April 15, 2020|
|Wii U Edition||December 17, 2015||March 19, 2019|
|Nintendo Switch Edition||May 11, 2017||June 21, 2018|
|Other editions||🌐 Minecraft 4k||December 2, 2009||December 4, 2009|
|MinecraftEdu||November 5, 2011||April 5, 2016|
|(ARM only) Pi Edition||February 11, 2013|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition||September 13, 2017||January 15, 2019|
- The official Bedrock Edition for PCs, mobile devices, consoles, TVs, and VR devices.
- Before the release of the Better Together Update, the Bedrock Edition was split into many different platform editions.
- The official Legacy Console Edition for consoles.
- The Xbox One and Nintendo Switch editions, unlike the other editions listed, could not be updated directly into Bedrock Edition. Bedrock Edition had to be bought separately from the Legacy Console Edition versions, excluding the PlayStation 4 Edition. However, those who purchased said Legacy Console Editions received a free digital copy of the Bedrock Edition upon it coming to the console, and things like worlds and skin packs could be transferred to the Bedrock Edition.
- "Minecraft 4k (very early build)" (archived) by Markus_Persson – Java-Gaming.org, December 3, 2009. "Widescreen! Many block types! Building and destroying blocks! Different mouse look that frees up both buttons! Less bugs! Also, the .pack.gz is STILL under 2kb :P"
- Where can I buy Minecraft? - Mojang Support; last updated December 18, 2015