In upcoming update 1.14, the dye system will be overhauled, changing many names and procedures for creating/using certain dyes.
There are 16 different colors of dye:
- Bonemeal White / White Dye(1.14)
- Rose Red
- Dandelion Yellow
- Cactus Green
- Light Blue
- Lapis Lazuli / Blue Dye(1.14)
- Cocoa Beans / Brown Dye(1.14)
- Light Gray
- Ink Sac / Black Dye(1.14)
Note: When update 1.14 is released, dye names will change slightly, to remove extra words such as "rose" or "cactus" from the name.
Dye can be used to re-color a variety of items, blocks and mobs, such as:
- Concrete Powder
- The collar of a tamed wolf
- Leather armor
- Wool (regardless of whether it is on a Sheep, or has been shorn off)
- Shulker Boxes
- Stained Glass
Certain dyes (such as white) are also a required material when crafting other dyes.
Depending on the object, dyeing is achieved by either right-clicking on the target while the dye is held, or by placing the dye in a Crafting Table along with other materials.
Dye ingredients can be found from a wide variety of sources. There are a few different procedures used in the production of dye, depending on the color. A Crafting table may be required to mix ingredients, others may be ground up without one, and others may need to be baked in a Furnace first. The image and table below give a breakdown of the requirements for each color of dye (until the release of update 1.14).
Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary
|Bonemeal White||Crafted from Bones.||Fertilizing||Primary|
|Ink Black||Dropped by Squids.||Crafting||Primary|
|Cocoa Brown||Dropped from Cocoa Pods.||Crafting||Primary|
|Rose Red||Crafted from Poppies.||None||Primary|
|Cactus Green||Smelted from Cacti.||None||Primary|
|Lapis Lazuli||Dropped from Lapis Lazuli Ore.||Crafting and Enchanting||Primary|
|Dandelion Yellow||Crafted from Dandelions.||None||Primary|
|Gray||Crafted from Ink Sacs and Bonemeal.||None||Secondary|
|Light Gray||Crafted from Gray Dye and Bonemeal or from Oxeye Daisies.||None||Primary/Tertiary|
|Orange||Crafted from Rose Red and Dandelion Yellow or from Orange Tulips.||None||Primary/Secondary|
|Lime||Crafted from Cactus Green and Bonemeal.||None||Secondary|
|Light Blue||Crafted from Lapis Lazuli and Bonemeal or from Flowers.||None||Primary/Secondary|
|Cyan||Crafted from Cactus Green and Lapis Lazuli.||None||Secondary|
|Pink||Crafted from Rose Red and Bonemeal or from Flowers.||Crafting||Primary/Secondary|
|Purple||Crafted from Rose Red and Lapis Lazuli.||Crafting||Secondary|
|Magenta||Crafted from Purple Dye and Pink Dye or from Lilac.||None||Primary/Tertiary|
- To revert dyed leather armor back to its original state, hold the armor piece in-hand and right-click a cauldron with water in it.
- Sheep can be dyed by right-clicking them with the dye of choice in hand. If one wants a bunch of wool in one color, this method is more practical than dyeing wool blocks themselves.
- Tamed wolf collars can also be dyed using the same procedure.