Minecraft Wiki
Advertisement
Minecraft Wiki
"Dungeons" redirects here. For the action/adventure RPG, see Minecraft Dungeons.
Dungeon
Dungeon.png
Biomes

Anywhere in the Overworld

Consists of

Dungeons, also referred to as monster rooms in their ID, are structures that appear in the Overworld that contain spawners.

Generation[]

In Java Edition, dungeons generate naturally in the Overworld at any altitude (provided it is next to a cave) regardless of whether "Generate structures" world creation option has been toggled off for said world.[1] For each chunk, 8 attempts are made to generate a dungeon; it is possible, though unlikely, for multiple attempts to succeed. In Bedrock Edition, dungeons can generate as underground structures above sea level.

For each attempt, a location and size (an open area with a width and length of 7, 9, or 11 and a height of 6) is chosen. The attempt succeeds if the following conditions are met:

  • The floor area (including under the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid.
  • The ceiling area (including over the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid. The ceiling blocks may be gravity-affected such as gravel or sand, which fall if disturbed by the player.
  • The walls of the potential dungeon must have 1–5 openings (2-high air blocks) at floor level.

If the location passes, air and cobblestone are placed, then 3 attempts are made to generate each of two chests. To generate a chest, the chosen block must be empty and must have a solid block on exactly one of its four sides. The mob spawner is placed at the center of the dungeon.

Cobblestone has a 34 chance to be mossy when it is on the floor of the Dungeon.

Structure[]

Main article: Dungeon/Structure

Dungeons are small rooms made of cobblestone and mossy cobblestone and contain a mob spawner and up to 2 chests. Finding a dungeon without a chest is unlikely but possible. Additionally, there is a rare chance of a dungeon being found without a spawner. Occasionally, a dungeon generates with its chests in such a way as to create a double chest. Dungeons generate with either a zombie (50% chance), skeleton (25% chance), or spider (25% chance) spawner. The spawner is always in the center of the dungeon room, with chests located around the walls of the room (large chests can connect with the short side against the wall). Each block of the floor has a 25% chance of being cobblestone and an 75% chance of being mossy cobblestone.

Loot[]

An example of dungeon chest loot in Java Edition.

See also: Chest loot

In Java Edition, each dungeon chest contains items drawn from 3 pools, with the following distribution:

Item Stack Size [A] Weight [B] Chance [C] Avg.
per chest
[D]
Avg. # chests
to search
[E]
1–3× 1–4× 1–3× 1–4×
Bone 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
Gunpowder 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
Rotten Flesh 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
String 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
Wheat 1–42012534.1%1.0002.9
Bread 12012534.1%0.4002.9
Name Tag 12012728.3%0.3153.5
Saddle 12012728.3%0.3153.5
Coal 1–41512526.6%0.7503.8
Redstone Dust 1–41512526.6%0.7503.8
Music Disc (13) 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Music Disc (Cat) 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Iron Horse Armor 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Golden Apple 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Beetroot Seeds 2–41012518.5%0.6005.4
Melon Seeds 2–41012518.5%0.6005.4
Pumpkin Seeds 2–41012518.5%0.6005.4
Iron Ingot 1–41012518.5%0.5005.4
Bucket 11012518.5%0.2005.4
Enchanted Book[F] 11012714.9%0.1576.7
Golden Horse Armor 11012714.9%0.1576.7
Gold Ingot 1–451259.6%0.25010.4
Diamond Horse Armor 151277.7%0.07913.0
Enchanted Golden Apple 121273.1%0.03132.1

In Bedrock Edition, each dungeon chest contains items drawn from 3 pools, with the following distribution:

Item Stack Size [A] Weight [B] Chance [C] Avg.
per chest
[D]
Avg. # chests
to search
[E]
1–3× 1–4× 1–3× 1–4×
Bone 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
Gunpowder 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
Rotten Flesh 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
String 1–8104057.8%3.3751.7
Wheat 1–42012534.1%1.0002.9
Bread 12012534.1%0.4002.9
Name Tag 12012728.3%0.3153.5
Saddle 12012728.3%0.3153.5
Coal 1–41512526.6%0.7503.8
Redstone Dust 1–41512526.6%0.7503.8
Music Disc (13) 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Music Disc (Cat) 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Iron Horse Armor 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Golden Apple 11512721.8%0.2364.6
Beetroot Seeds 2–41012518.5%0.6005.4
Melon Seeds 2–41012518.5%0.6005.4
Pumpkin Seeds 2–41012518.5%0.6005.4
Iron Ingot 1–41012518.5%0.5005.4
Bucket 11012518.5%0.2005.4
Enchanted Book[F] 11012714.9%0.1576.7
Golden Horse Armor 11012714.9%0.1576.7
Gold Ingot 1–451259.6%0.25010.4
Diamond Horse Armor 151277.7%0.07913.0
Enchanted Golden Apple 121273.1%0.03132.1
  1. a b The size of stacks (or for unstackable items, number) of this item on any given roll.
  2. a b The weight of this item relative to other items in the pool.
  3. a b The odds of finding any of this item in a single chest.
  4. a b The number of items expected per chest, averaged over a large number of chests.
  5. a b The average number of chests the player should expect to search to find any of this item.
  6. a b All enchantments are equally probable, including treasure enchantments (except Soul Speed), and any level of the enchantment is equally probable.


Data values[]

ID[]

NameResource location
[No displayed name]monster_room

History[]

Java Edition Infdev
20100625-2Added dungeons. The chests may contain gunpowder, strings, wheat, bread, iron ingots, buckets, saddles, and rarely, golden apples.
Java Edition Alpha
v1.0.4Added redstone dust to dungeon chests, sometime between its introduction in Alpha v1.0.1 and 1.0.4.[is this the correct version?]
v1.0.14Added the newly introduced 13 and cat music discs to dungeon chests.
Java Edition Beta
1.4Added cocoa beans to dungeon chests.
Java Edition
1.3.112w22aBreaking the spawner of a dungeon now gives experience.
1.4.612w49aAdded enchanted books to dungeon chests.
1.6.113w16bAdded name tags to dungeon chests.
13w18aAdded horse armor to dungeon chests and removed cocoa beans. Probabilities have now also been adjusted.
1.7.213w36aChanges in cavern generation now make dungeons considerably rarer.[2]
1.814w30aThe chances of music discs in dungeon chests have been reduced.
1.915w44aAdded bones, coal, rotten flesh, enchanted golden apples, and melons, pumpkins and beetroot seeds to dungeon chests.
The average yield of music discs in dungeon chests has been increased.
The average yield of enchanted books, gunpowder and string in dungeon chests have been doubled.
The average yield of normal golden apples in dungeon chests has been substantially increased.
The average yield of iron horse armor in dungeon chests has been decreased.
The average yields of name tags, saddles, wheat and bread in dungeon chests have been nearly halved.
The average yields of iron ingots and buckets in dungeon chests have been substantially decreased.
1.16?As a result of a world generation bug fix, dungeon positions have been shifted.
1.17?Dungeon generation has changed - it appears they are again capable of generating in open air areas such as cliffsides like they were prior to 1.7.2.
Pocket Edition Alpha
v0.9.0build 1Added dungeons.
v0.15.0build 1Added name tags, enchanted books and horse armor to dungeon chests.
Bedrock Edition
1.2.0beta 1.2.0.2Added music discs to dungeon chests.
1.17.0?The probability of dungeons had been changed to less common to match Java Edition
Legacy Console Edition
TU1CU1 1.0 Patch 11.0.1Added dungeons.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition
0.1.0Added dungeons.

Issues[]

Issues relating to "Dungeon" are maintained on the bug tracker. Report issues there.

Trivia[]

  • Dungeons are the earliest added generated structures that still exist in the game today.
  • A contradiction exists in Java Edition that even though the "Generate Structures" world creation option listed "Villages, dungeons etc." as two example structures that are supposed to generate only when the option is turned "ON", dungeons generate even if the option is set to "OFF".
  • Dungeons are always connected to a cavern or other structure, although it's possible for the dungeon itself to overwrite most of a tiny cave.
  • It is possible, though rare, to find connected dungeons with multiple spawners and extra chests.
  • It is extremely rare for a dungeon to generate at bedrock level. When this occurs, the bedrock cuts through the dungeon and can prevent the chests or the spawner from generating. Because the air below Y=11 replaces itself with lava, this cannot happen in caves. However, it can happen in mineshafts.
  • Dungeons are the only structure with chest loot that cannot be located using the /locate command.

Gallery[]

Surface dungeons[]

Multiple dungeons[]

Odd generation[]

References[]

Advertisement