The drowned mobs will spawn naturally in ocean or river biomes. In addition to this, they can also spawn if a zombie stays in the water for 30 seconds.
The drowned mob, much like other zombies, uses melee attacks, but can also kill the player at range if armed with a trident . They can also destroy turtle eggs since they hunt baby turtles.
When a drowned is in water and it is day, they will stay in the water until a player enters. They will not leave as they will end up burning in sunlight, and will give up killing the player. However, they will stand with their upper bodies out of the water.
When in water, they will only swim if a player or villager is in the water with them. Otherwise, they will walk at the bottom of the water because they are unable to drown. They can spawn with a Trident, Nautilus Shell or a Fishing Rod, and can drop one if equipped. They also can drop Rotten Flesh, and as an occasional drop, a Nautilus shell, without even holding one.
It is also possible to find them in caves, provided there's a flowing water source, such as a river or hole leading to an ocean nearby.
It is confirmed that drowned will break wooden doors in hard mode, and will attack villagers. Baby drowned will also have jockey variants.
Drowned that are not armed with a trident or fishing rod can be dealt with at range with a trident or bow. However, drowned that are armed with a trident are best fought at close range since it will not throw its trident at an opponent that is too close.
- 0–2 Rotten Flesh
- Nautilus Shell (if in hand, can also drop when not)
- Trident (if in hand)
- Sponge (in Bedrock Edition)
- Gold Ingot (in Bedrock Edition)
- Fishing Rod
- The drowned was confirmed to have a rare drop which has now been stated to be Nautilus shells. These can be seen being held in a drowned's left hand.
- The drowned's face texture looks somewhat like a creeper's.
- In the Bedrock Edition, while chasing a player, drowned have a swimming animation.
- In the Bedrock Edition, drowned made zombie sounds. This was later fixed in the 1.4 update for the Bedrock Edition.
- In the Bedrock Edition, drowned have a chance to drop a gold ingot.
- They are immune to the damage caused from the Elder Guardian and Guardian's thorns and lasers.
- Drowned are the first mobs to equip the trident.