Easy: 2.5 × 1.25
Dolphins are found in groups (pods) of 3–5 in all ocean biomes, except frozen oceans and cold oceans. They spawn between (exclusively) level 45 and the sea level of the world (between levels 50 and 64 in 1.18[upcoming]). Dolphins continuously spawn as long as their spawn requirements are met, and naturally despawn if no players are near by, similar to squid.
10% of dolphins spawn as babies.[Bedrock Edition only]
Players who sprint swim within a 9 block spherical radius of a dolphin receive Dolphin's Grace for 5 seconds[JE only]. Players with Invisibility do not receive the effect unless they already had Dolphin's Grace before receiving Invisibility, or if they are wearing armor. In Bedrock Edition, the player simply gets a speed boost without a status effect.
Dolphins are lured by dropped items that are inside nearby water blocks, knocking them around and chasing them. If the dolphin can not find a path to a dropped item, the dolphin may stay underwater to the point of drowning. If the dolphin is in, or on, a waterlogged bottom slab or chest with an air block above, the dolphin is prevented from drowning.
Should the player or another mob hit a dolphin (unless the dolphin is killed within one hit[Java Edition only]), the whole pod retaliates, attacking all at once similar to wolves and zombified piglins. Hostile dolphins remain hostile even if they are fed fish.
When dolphins are fed raw cod or raw salmon, they swim to the nearest shipwreck, buried treasure, or ocean ruins. Because they are locating the chest in the structures rather than the structures themselves, breaking the chests causes the dolphin to locate a new structure with intact chests. Dolphins also avoid guardians and elder guardians.
If a dolphin leaves the water, it starts taking suffocation damage after two minutes, and eventually dies. A dolphin on land actively seeks out a body of water, or seeks its target if in a hostile state.
Dolphins can be towed by a lead.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Dolphin chirps||Friendly Creatures||Randomly on land||1.0||0.8 - 1.2||16|
|Dolphin whistles||Friendly Creatures||Randomly in water||1.0||0.8 - 1.2||16|
|Dolphin attacks||Friendly Creatures||When dolphin attacks||1.0||1.0||16|
|Dolphin dies||Friendly Creatures||When dolphin dies||1.0||0.8 - 1.2||16|
|Dolphin eats||Friendly Creatures||When feeding fish to dolphin||0.75||1.0||16|
|Dolphin hurts||Friendly Creatures||When dolphin takes damage||1.0||0.8 - 1.2||16|
|Dolphin jumps||Friendly Creatures||When dolphin jumps||0.75||1.0||16|
|Dolphin plays||Friendly Creatures||When dolphin plays||1.0||1.0||16|
|Dolphin splashes||Friendly Creatures||When dolphin enters water||Around 0.1 or 0.02[sound 1]||0.6 - 1.4||16|
|Dolphin swims||Friendly Creatures||When dolphin swims||Around 0.03[sound 2]||0.8 - 1.2||16|
- Depends on the dolphin's motion, usually around 0.1 or 0.02.
- Depends on the dolphin's motion, usually around 0.03
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS4)|
|Echolocation||Feed a dolphin fish to have it lead you to treasure||Feed a dolphin raw cod and have it lure you to treasure.||20G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|How Did We Get Here?||Have every effect applied at the same time||A Furious Cocktail||Have all of these 26 effects applied to the player at the same time:
Note: This is a hidden advancement, meaning that it can be viewed by the player only after completing it, regardless if one or more of its child advancements have been completed.
|Name||Resource location||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Dolphins have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- CanFindTreasure: 1 or 0 (true/false) - if true, this dolphin can lead a player to treasure.
- GotFish: 1 or 0 (true/false) - if true, this dolphin got fish from a player.
- TreasurePosX: This dolphin's X coordinate destination when leading a player to treasure, 0 if
- TreasurePosY: This dolphin's Y coordinate destination when leading a player to treasure, 0 if
- TreasurePosZ: This dolphin's Z coordinate destination when leading a player to treasure, 0 if
|November 18, 2017||Dolphins were shown in a video clip during MineCon Earth.|
|18w19a||Dolphins now swim to the surface, if drowning.|
|Dolphins now give the player the "Dolphin's Grace" status effect that allows the player to swim faster, if the player swims near them.|
|18w19b||Dolphins now drop experience.|
|18w20c||Dolphins on land now jump to try to get back into the water.|
|Dolphins now survive for two minutes out of water, instead of ten seconds.|
|18w21a||Dolphins now lead players to treasure.|
|Dolphins can no longer wear armor.|
|pre2||Dolphins can no longer sit in boats.|
|pre6||Dolphins now bring the player to buried treasure more accurately.|
|1.14||19w08a||Dolphins can no longer have armor equipped onto them with a dispenser.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.18||21w40a||Dolphins now only spawn between y=50 and y=64.|
|1.4.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added dolphins and baby dolphins. Baby Dolphins are a version exclusive.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||The models of dolphins have been updated with minor adjustments to the orientation of their fins.|
|Dolphins now have sounds.|
|1.5.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Dolphins now lead players to shipwrecks and underwater ruins.|
|1.16.100||beta 18.104.22.168||Dolphins now dry out at the same rate as they do in Java Edition; 120 seconds.|
|Dolphins on land now try to get back into the water.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.18.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Dolphins now only spawn between y=50 and y=64.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU69||1.76||Patch 38||Added dolphins.|
|Baby dolphins can be spawned when the player uses a spawn egg on an adult dolphin.|
- To create the sounds that the dolphins make in the game, Mojang Studios' lead sound designer, Samuel Åberg, went to Kolmården Wildlife Park to record real dolphins.
- This was also done with pandas.
- Dolphins originally had a separate head and body when shown in a clip at MINECON 2017. It is also shown in artwork for Java Edition 1.13.
- Real-life dolphins don't suffocate outside of water; they breathe air like all mammals, although they can die of dehydration out of water.
- In 2018, a mob vote was held in which Chinese users could vote on which Chinese animal should be added to Minecraft, to promote the release of Minecraft China. One of the options for voting was the possibly extinct Baiji Dolphin. The Panda won the vote and was added into the game.
- During development, there were large disagreements between developers over how Dolphins should behave.
In other media
- "Talking Dolphins" – Minecraft.net, May 19, 2018