Despawn is a term used for the game mechanic involved when a Mob, a dropped Item or another unplaced object disappears after a particular amount of time, during a certain time of day, or in a particular situation. Despawning is different from when a mob dies, as the mob will not drop any items or materials when it disappears.
This term should not be confused with the game mechanic known as Spawning, which works in the opposite manner.
Mobs subject to despawning
Note: In most cases, a hostile mob will despawn if there are no players within a distance of 128 blocks. However, there are a few additional situations where one might despawn:
- Creepers mainly despawn during the day, but may despawn at any time if they have not been engaged in combat for a period of time.
- Endermites despawn after two minutes.
- Ocelots may despawn if they have not been tamed.
- Tiny Slimes may despawn after a period of time.
- Witches despawn if a player is far enough away from them.
- Zombie Pigmen despawn if they have not been engaged in combat for a long period of time.
Objects subject to despawning
- Any dropped items will despawn after five minutes.
- Arrows which have been shot from a bow and have stuck into a surface will despawn after one minute.
- Leaves will despawn if not attached to a wood log or other leaves.
- Saddles will despawn if the pig it is attached to despawns.