|Date of birth||
May 9, 1989 (age 33)
Producing the soundtrack and sounds of Minecraft
Daniel Rosenfeld, also known as C418, is the producer of most music tracks in Minecraft as well as the songs for all of the music discs added before the Nether Update. He also produced some sound effects for the game, such as footsteps, and released the game's official soundtrack, Minecraft - Volume Alpha, which includes all the music present in the game made by him up to the soundtrack's release, plus some bonus tracks. He has also released a second soundtrack album, titled Minecraft - Volume Beta, which includes more music and the remaining music disc tracks, as well as some music for various Minecraft productions.
Daniel Rosenfeld was born on May 9, 1989, in East Germany, and his parents were both from the Soviet Union. His brother, known as C818, nicknamed him C418 and introduced him to creating music with a computer. Since then he has had an interest in music. Rosenfeld has one cat and a corgi.
Music included in Minecraft
Official Minecraft soundtracks
There are also official physical and non-physical copies made of the two soundtracks. They were released on vinyl, CD and for download.
Potential third album
In 2015, Daniel Rosenfeld hinted at a potential upcoming third album for Minecraft's soundtrack, stating "I'll still work on Minecraft, so there'll probably be another album". In 2017, he confirmed the future release, claiming the album "is still far from done". He confirmed on Twitter that the third album will not be called "Volume Gamma" and it will be longer than the previous two albums combined (which in total is over three hours and 18 minutes).
In January 2021, Daniel Rosenfeld was asked in an interview whether there was still a third volume of the soundtrack in the works. He responded, "I have something—I consider it finished—but things have become complicated, especially as Minecraft is now a big property, so I don't know". Later, in October 2021, when the Caves & Cliffs music was added to the game, he stated on his Discord server "I still want to do stuff for minecraft, but I've never managed to get to an agreement with the big guys", and "I have a lot of music but only time will tell how we will get it out. it will involve at least 20 lawyers."
- His Minecraft skin is the default skin, but the head is replaced with a small variant of the texture for a jukebox.
- C418 revealed in an AMA on Reddit that the ghast sounds are taken from his pet cat when he is disturbed while sleeping. He was also going to have his cat voice ocelots, but since his cat never meows clearly, C418 decided to use cat sounds from Freesound instead.
- C418 also created the soundtracks for the Mojang games Catacomb Snatch and 0x10c.
- The soundtrack to the movie Minecraft: The Story of Mojang was created by C418.
- The soundtrack for the Steam version of the game Cookie Clicker was created by C418.
Album cover of Volume Alpha.
Album cover of Volume Beta.
Cover art for Axolotl.
Cover art for Dragon Fish.
Cover art for Shuniji.
Album cover of One, the Minecraft: The Story of Mojang soundtrack.
Album cover of Catacomb Snatch.
Album cover of 0x10c.
- "I’m 27 today! Or 30 if you believe the Minecraft wiki, which the German tax agency did, I shit you not. Happy fake 30th to me?" – @c418 on Twitter, May 9, 2016
- "Credits". Minecraft.net. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- "C418 INTERVIEW, Minecraft Music & Sound Composer" – BebopVox YOGSCAST on YouTube, May 12, 2011
- "Minecon 2012 - The Music of Minecraft & Minecraft Documentary" – PC Gamer on YouTube, November 28, 2012
- "The world is in a pretty bad spot, but honestly the only thing I can think about is "when will valve ship me an index" and also "how much longer until I can get my dog"" – @C418 on Twitter, April 1, 2020
- "And I know the answers to both of these questions and yet I still ask this daily. They are "never" and "6 weeks"" – @C418 on Twitter, April 1, 2020
- "Can You Dig It: FACT meets Minecraft composer C418" by Tom Fenwick – factmag, September 5, 2015.
- "I’m still far from done, but I tallied up a few numbers, and the third Minecraft soundtrack is gonna be longer than Alpha and Beta combined." – @C418 on Twitter, February 9, 2017
- "Minecraft Volume Gamma? nope" – @C418 on Twitter, January 21, 2017
- "10 Years of the Minecraft Soundtrack - C418 INTERVIEW" – fantano on YouTube, January 7, 2021
- "Please be respectful and remember not to take any of this out of context. From C418’s discord shortly after 21w42a released and discussion was going on about the new music and his Third Album:" – u/Blainezab on Reddit, October 20, 2021
- "In other news my voice actor refuses to say his lines today." – @C418 on Twitter, January 31, 2012
- "My voice actor (cat) finally did some lines (meowed) and I acutally captured it this time" – @C418 on Twitter, January 30, 2012
- "The only well recorded cat sounds I have are meowing with purring. Makes it sound somewhat horny. Freesound! To the rescue!" – @C418 on Twitter, February 6, 2012
- "My cat only purrs and purreows" – @C418 on Twitter, February 9, 2012
- "It's actually done with the help of the freesound community's weird cats" – @C418 on Twitter, February 9, 2012