The crimson forest is dense and has a crimson color scheme. The forest's fog is dark red and blazing particles are seen floating. The forest floor is mostly covered with crimson nylium, with some netherrack and nether wart blocks generating on the surface as well. The vegetation of the biome includes fungi, crimson roots, huge crimson fungi and weeping vines. These vines hang from the large fungi and nether wart blocks from the ceiling.
Herds of hoglins commonly spawn throughout the forest. Piglins are also found here along with their occasional undead counterparts. Fortresses and bastions are structures that can generate in the forests.
|Mob||Spawn chance||Group size|
|Zombified Chicken Jockey||0.25⁄15.25||1|
|Mob||Spawn chance||Group size|
- In Bedrock Edition, hoglins count toward the animal cap instead of the monster cap.
These music tracks play while the player is in the Crimson Forest.
|Gameplay||Soundtrack Title||Soundtrack||Track preview||Weight|
|nether1.ogg||The Nether||"Concrete Halls"||Minecraft - Volume Beta No. 7||1|
|nether2.ogg||The Nether||"Dead Voxel"||Minecraft - Volume Beta No. 3||1|
|nether3.ogg||The Nether||"Warmth"||Minecraft - Volume Beta No. 11||1|
|nether4.ogg||The Nether||"Ballad of the Cats"||Minecraft - Volume Beta No. 15||1|
|chrysopoeia.ogg||Crimson Forest||"Chrysopoeia"||Minecraft: Nether Update (Original Game Soundtrack) No. 1||7|
|Crimson Forest Ambience||Loop|
|Crimson Forest Addition 1||Loop Additions|
|Crimson Forest Addition 2|
|Crimson Forest Addition 3|
|Crimson Forest Particles 1|
|Crimson Forest Particles 2|
|Crimson Forest Particles 3|
|Crimson Forest Shine 1|
|Crimson Forest Shine 2|
|Crimson Forest Shine 3|
|Crimson Forest Shroom 1|
|Crimson Forest Shroom 2|
|Crimson Forest Shroom 3|
|Crimson Forest Twang 1|
|Crimson Forest Voom 1|
|Crimson Forest Voom 2|
|Crimson Forest Mood 1||Mood|
|Crimson Forest Mood 2|
|Crimson Forest Mood 3|
|Crimson Forest Mood 4|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID|
|Late 2017||The crimson forest is first conceptualized around the time that the Update Aquatic was in development.|
|September 28, 2019||The crimson forest (then named as "netherwart forest") is announced at MINECON Live 2019.|
|1.16||20w06a||Added the crimson forest.|
|Added hoglins, which can spawn in crimson forests.|
|20w07a||Added piglins, which can spawn in crimson forests.|
|20w10a||Added ambience to the crimson forest.|
|20w15a||Added the music track "Chrysopoeia", which plays in the crimson forest biome.|
|20w19a||Patches of blackstone and gravel now generate in crimson forests at level of the lava ocean.|
|1.16.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added the crimson forest.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Added mood sounds to the crimson forest.|
|Added music to the crimson forest.|
- When the crimson forest was announced at MINECON Live 2019, which happened before the first Nether Update snapshot was released, it was known as "Nether wart forest". In the announcement, however, it was called "Nether wart forest red".
- Most of the ambience in the crimson forest was made with balloons, which Samuel Åberg says creates a disturbing feeling of something stretching and forcing itself to bend.
- This biome might be a reference to a biome in the game Terraria, in which there is also a red biome called the Crimson. There is also a similar ocurrance with the blue Hallow biome and the Warped Forest.
- The music track titled "Chrysopoeia" is a reference to the real life term Chrysopoeia, a term in alchemy referring to the artificial production of gold. This further ties the Nether to both brewing and gold.
- "Dev Diaries #2: Nether Sound" – July 24, 2020 on YouTube