Minecraft Interactive Experience
Do you like this video?
Add or remove status effects on players and other entities.
- Java Edition
effect clear [<targets>] [<effect>]
- Removes an effect.
effect give <targets> <effect> [<seconds>] [<amplifier>] [<hideParticles>]
- Gives an effect.
- Bedrock Edition
effect <player: target> clear
- Removes all effects.
effect <player: target> <effect: Effect> [seconds: int] [amplifier: int] [hideParticles: Boolean]
- Gives or removes an effect.
- Specifies the target(s). In Bedrock Edition, if not specified, defaults to the player who executes the command.
- Must be a player name, a target selector or a UUID[Java Edition only].
- Specifies the effect's duration in seconds (or in gameticks for
saturation). If not specified, defaults to 30 seconds (or 1 gameticks for
saturation). In Java Edition, any duration greater than or equal to 1639 will display as '**:**' in the player's inventory (while still counting down).
- Must be a 32-bit integer number. In Java Edition, it must be between 0 and 1000000 (inclusive). In Bedrock Edition, it must be between 0 and 2147483647 (inclusive), and values higher than 1000000 are treated as 1000000.
- Specifies the number of additional levels to add to the effect. If not specified, defaults to 0. Note that the first tier of a status effect (e.g. Regeneration I) is 0, so the second tier, for example Regeneration II, would be specified by an amplifier level of 1.
- Must be a 32-bit integer number. And it must be between 0 and 255 (inclusive).
- Specifies whether the particles and the HUD indicator[Java Edition only] of the status effect should be hidden. If not specified, defaults to
- Must be a boolean (either
|Command||Trigger||Java Edition||Bedrock Edition|
|any||the arguments are not specified correctly||Unparseable||Failed|
|All the selected entities meets one or more of the following conditions:||Successful|
|there's no effect removed from any entity|
|there's no effect removed from any entity||N/A||Failed|
|any||On success||Removes or gives the specified effect(s).|
|any||Java Edition||On fail||0||0||0|
|On success||1||1||the number of entities that are given or revoked effect(s).|
|Bedrock Edition||On fail||0||N/A||N/A|
|On success||the number of entities that are given or revoked effect(s).||N/A||N/A|
- In Java Edition, if a target already has a status effect with the same id, a new effect only with a longer duration or a higher amplifier can be added.
- If the new effect has a higher amplifier and a shorter duration, the original effect will be hidden.
- If the new effect has a lower amplifier and a longer duration, the new effect will be hidden.
- If their "hideParticles" values are different, the active effect's value will be set to the specified value.
- Otherwise, the original active effect will be replaced by the new effect, without changing hidden effects.
- Only if the active effect is changed does the command succeed, no matter whether the hidden effects are changed or not.
- In Bedrock Edition, if a target already has the status effect, a new status effect with the same amplifier overrides the old duration if it is longer, but a new status effect with a higher amplifier overrides any previous effect.
- In Bedrock Edition, no matter whether the new effect can override the original effect, "hideParticles" value is always applied.
- In Bedrock Edition, if the player uses an NBT editor to get negative levels of effects, the level of the effect jumps to 255 instead.
- To grant a Resistance V effect to the current entity for 1 million seconds, hiding particles:
effect give @s minecraft:resistance 1000000 4 true[Java Edition only] or
effect @s resistance 1000000 4 true[Bedrock Edition only]
- To grant a Speed II effect to the nearest player for 60 seconds:
effect give @p minecraft:speed 60 1[Java Edition only] or
effect @p speed 60 1[Bedrock Edition only]
- To grant a Speed III effect to the nearest player for 60 seconds:
effect give @p minecraft:speed 60 2[Java Edition only] or
effect @p speed 60 2[Bedrock Edition only]
- To clear any Haste effects from all players:
effect clear @a minecraft:haste[Java Edition only] or
effect @a haste 0[Bedrock Edition only]
- To clear all effects from all zombies:
effect clear @e[type=zombie][Java Edition only] or
effect @e[type=zombie] clear[Bedrock Edition only]
|1.15.2||Pre-Release 1||When a stronger effect overwrites a weaker effect, the weaker effect now are hidden.|
|1.0.5||alpha 220.127.116.11||Added |
|alpha 18.104.22.168||The |
|?||Max value for |
|1.16.200||beta 22.214.171.124||Duration is now capped at 1,000,000 seconds .|
- – "Beacon effect removes potion effect of the same type" – resolved as "Fixed"