Charcoal, a counterpart of coal, is an efficient method of fuel for smelting. It is made by smelting Wood in a furnace. As well as sharing a similar appearance, charcoal acts exactly like coal, and likewise can also be used to make torches and power minecarts. Charcoal and coal cannot stack with each other and can't be changed with a texture pack. Charcoal is a potent resource to use in an area where coal is sparse.
Charcoal can be created by burning/smelting wood as the ingredient in a furnace.
- Charcoal was stated by Notch to be a name class edit of coal.
- Charcoal can be used for torches, like normal coal.
- The texture for charcoal was changed in 13w19a and in 0.8.0 for Pocket Edition. This was done so that new players wouldn't get confused between the two.
- It is more useful to burn logs with coal in a furnace because each coal will smelt 8 pieces of charcoal.
- The crafting interface in the Console editions has two crafting recipes for torches and fire charges, one with coal and one with charcoal. The two recipes are in the same column of the same section of the crafting interface, and they also have (coal) or (charcoal) to identify which one is which.
- Coal and charcoal have the same function except that only the former can be used to craft a Block of Coal; the latter cannot.