| Come on! Grow up!
This article is a Minecraft Wiki stub. You can help bythe page.
Charcoal is an alternative to Coal that can be obtained from smelting Logs in a Furnace. It shares the same uses as normal coal. However, charcoal cannot be crafted into a Block of Coal, and neither can charcoal and coal be stacked together.
As well as sharing a similar appearance, charcoal acts exactly like coal, and likewise can also be used to make torches and power minecarts. Charcoal and coal cannot stack with each other and can't be changed with a texture pack. Charcoal is a potent resource to use in an area where coal is sparse.
Charcoal can be created by burning/smelting wood as the ingredient in a furnace.
|Torch x4||Fire Charge |
- Charcoal was stated by Notch to be a name class edit of coal.
- The texture for charcoal was changed in 13w19a and in 0.8.0 for Pocket Edition. This was done so that new players would not get confused between the two.
- It is more useful to burn logs with coal in a furnace because each piece of coal will smelt 8 pieces of charcoal.
- The crafting interface in the Console editions has two crafting recipes for torches and fire charges, one with coal and one with charcoal. The two recipes are in the same column of the same section of the crafting interface, and they also have (coal) or (charcoal) to identify which one is which.
- A Campfire will drop 2 charcoal if destroyed, with any tool or even bare hands