The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack is an official data pack that was released periodically by Mojang Studios from April 2021 to May 2021, which contains several experimental and work-in-progress features that may eventually be released in Java Edition 1.18. Its first release coincided with the announcement that Caves & Cliffs would be split into two major updates. The data pack was eventually superseded by experimental snapshots as changes that are too big for a data pack were introduced.
- Bundles can be crafted once again.
- The height limit has been expanded 64 blocks up and 64 blocks down to a total of 384 blocks, with Y=319 being the limit upward and Y=-64 being the limit downward.
- World generation
- Deepslate blobs no longer generate above Y=0.
- Diorite, granite, and andesite blobs are larger and more spherical, but less common.
- Underground generation has been extended 64 blocks down to go along with the downward height expansion.
- Deepslate makes up a majority of the expanded area, with the stone above gradually transitioning to it from Y=-1 to Y=-7 until it is completely replaced by deepslate at Y=-8.
- Lava replaces air below Y=-53 instead of below Y=11.
- The bedrock layer has been moved down to Y=-64.
- Fossils are able to generate at any height instead of just between Y=40 and Y=49.
- Fossils below Y=0 generate with deepslate diamond ore instead of coal ore.
- Caves have been completely overhauled.
- Now stretch down to Y=-59.
- New noise caves, coming in three forms: cheese, spaghetti, and noodle.
- Cheese caves have large stone columns stretching from the bottom of the cave to the top.
- Spaghetti caves are long, thin caves that have small aquifers and are more similar to original caves.
- Noodle caves are thinner, squigglier, and more claustrophobic variants of spaghetti caves.
- Contain aquifers, bodies of water with different heights, independent of sea level (Y=63).
- Only used below Y=31, meaning any noise caves between Y=31 and Y=63 are flooded with water.
- Aquifers below Y=0 sometimes generate with lava instead of water.
- The original carvers still exist with their generation slightly tweaked to add more variation and to better blend in with noise caves.
- New crevice carvers, which are deep, long cracks in the ground that are thinner and straighter than canyons.
- Ore veins, long and rare formations of ore and rock, have been introduced.
- Changed the generation of all ores, making them have a spread value like lapis lazuli ore. Some still retain a linear generation alongside a spread generation.
- Copper ore generates between Y=0 and Y=96, and uses spread like all other ores. It peaks at Y=48.
- Emerald ore generates above Y=32 as a spread, peaking at Y=256 and decreasing in quantity as the altitude decreases.
- Coal ore attempts to generate twice: once, evenly between an altitude of Y=136 and Y=256; and as a spread, peaking at an altitude of Y=96 and generating between an altitude of Y=0 and Y=192.
- Iron ore attempts to generate three times: once as a spread peaking at an altitude of Y=256, generating above Y=128; another as a spread peaking at Y=16 and generating with a minimum height of Y=-24 and a maximum height of Y=57, and a smaller one spreading evenly between the altitudes of Y=-64 and Y=64.
- Gold ore generates between the altitudes of Y=-64 and Y=32, peaking at Y=-16. The extra gold that generates in the badlands biome was left untouched.
- Lapis lazuli ore attempts to generate twice: once, as a spread between the altitudes of Y=32 and Y=-32, peaking at an altitude of 0; and evenly between the altitudes of Y=64 and Y=-64, generating buried like ancient debris.
- Redstone ore attempts to generate twice: once, evenly between an altitude of Y=15 and Y=-64; and as a spread, peaking at an altitude of -64 and generating below an altitude of Y=-32.
- Diamond ore generates below Y=16 as a spread, peaking at Y=-64 and decreasing in quantity as the altitude increases.
|1.17||April 14, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack was first publicly made available to coincide with the release of 21w15a.|
|The data pack currently contains all the world generation changes from 21w06a to 21w14a that were reverted in this snapshot.|
|April 21, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack has been updated for 21w16a.|
|Ore veins have been added.|
|Aquifers below Y=0 are sometimes filled with lava instead of water.|
|April 28, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack has been updated for 21w17a.|
|Noodle caves have been added.|
|Ore veins are now slightly smaller, rarer, more clumpy, and have a chance to contain a raw metal block.|
|May 5, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack has been updated for 21w18a.|
|Carvers can generate below Y=0 in ocean biomes.|
|Noodle caves no longer generate above Y=30.|
|The minimum size of noodle caves and carvers has been increased.|
|Deepslate blobs no longer generate above Y=0.|
|Ore veins are slightly rarer and smaller on average, and raw metal blocks are more likely to be found in them.|
|Copper ore generation has been slightly reduced.|
|Smaller iron ore blobs can additionally be found between Y=-32 and Y=64.|
|Larger iron ore blobs are now slightly less common.|
|May 12, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack has been updated for 21w19a.|
|Bundles and candles still have a crafting recipe after they were both made hidden in the base game. However, they are unavailable in the creative inventory.|
|May 19, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack has been updated for 21w20a.|
|May 27, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack has been updated for 1.17 Pre-release 1.|
|Candles are no longer unhidden by the data pack, as they were made unhidden in the base game.|
|May 31, 2021||The Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack has been updated for 1.17 Pre-release 2.|
- Caves & Cliffs Prototype Data Pack for Minecraft Java Edition – feedback.minecraft.net
- "Minecraft Snapshot 21w15a" – Minecraft.net, April 14, 2021
- "A Caves & Cliffs announcement" – Minecraft.net, April 14, 2021
- "New world generation in Java available for testing" by Henrik Kniberg. Minecraft.net, July 13, 2021