12 × 6
Hostile (in light levels 7 or less)
Height: 0.5 Blocks
When killed, a cave spider drops
- 0–2 String. The maximum is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 string with Looting III.
- 5 when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
- They also have a 1⁄3 chance of dropping a Spider Eye when killed by a player or tamed wolf. The maximum amount of spider eyes is increased by 1 per level of Looting. The chance of a cave spider not dropping any spider eyes can be found using the formula
2 / (Looting Level + 3). For example, Looting III gives a 1⁄3 chance of not dropping any spider eyes. All other amounts have an equal chance of occurring.
Cave spiders inherit their behavior from spiders:
- Neutral if under daylight or in light levels of 9 or above before seeing player, otherwise they are hostile. Once they become hostile, light does not affect them.
- Climb walls when needed.
- Attack by leaping.
- Are unaffected by cobwebs and poison.
- Can spawn spider jockeys.[BE only]
They have some distinctions from regular spiders:
- Can fit through a space that is one block wide and 1⁄2 block tall.
- Can go through the spaces between two different types of (unconnected) fences.
- Cannot spawn with status effects.
On normal or hard, cave spiders inflict Poison upon attacking. On normal difficulty, the poison lasts for 7 seconds and causes 4 damage. On hard difficulty, it lasts for 15 seconds and causes 10. Poison damage is not taken when the player's health is at 1.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Spider hisses[sound 1]||Hostile Creatures||Randomly||1.0||0.8 - 1.2||16|
|Spider dies[sound 1]||Hostile Creatures||When a cave spider dies||1.0||0.8 - 1.2||16|
|Spider hurts[sound 1]||Hostile Creatures||When a cave spider takes damage||1.0||0.8 - 1.2||16|
|Footsteps||Hostile Creatures||When a cave spider walks||0.15||1.0||16|
- The cave spider reuses all of the spider's sound events instead of having its own, resulting in these somewhat unintuitive subtitles - see
|Name||Resource location||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Cave spiders have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS4)|
|Monster Hunter||Attack and kill a monster.||Kill a hostile mob or one of the following neutral mobs: an enderman, a piglin, a zombified piglin, a spider, or a cave spider.||15G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs:
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 34 mobs:
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.8||Pre-release||Added cave spiders.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Cave spiders now drop 0-1 spider eye when killed by a player or tamed wolf.|
|The cave spider's health points have been reduced from 20 × 10 to 12 × 6.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4||Cave spiders are now immune to the poison status effect.|
|Cave spiders are now considered arthropods.|
|1.2.1||12w06a||Cave spiders now swim extremely fast with the water stream toward the player, but seem to be almost not moving against the water stream.|
|Cave spiders can now climb ice blocks.|
|1.8||14w06a||Cave spiders no longer draw a line of sight through opaque blocks.|
|Cave spiders have been given the new AI that regular spiders have received.|
|14w11a||Cave spiders now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|?||The cave spider's venom is no longer neutralized by splash potions of weakness, which may or may not be a bug.|
|1.8.1||pre1||Cave spiders no longer run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|1.11||16w32a||The cave spider's entity ID has been changed from |
|October 16, 2017||Jasper Boerstra tweets an image of an updated cave spider texture.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of cave spiders has been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.11.0||build 1||Added cave spiders with their jockey variant.|
|v0.12.1||build 1||Cave spiders now have a walking sound.|
|Cave spiders can now spawn with wither skeletons riding them when spawning as spider jockey in the Nether.|
|Cave spiders now drop spider eyes.|
|v0.14.0||build 1||Cave spiders can be ridden by baby zombies and baby zombie villagers.|
|v0.15.0||?||Cave spiders can now spawn with strays riding them when spawning as spider jockey in snowy biome with a view of the sky.|
|Cave spiders can be ridden by baby husks.|
|1.1.0||alpha 18.104.22.168||The cave spider's entity ID has been changed from |
|The cave spider's poison time from attack has been changed to be based on difficulty.|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||The texture of cave spiders has been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added cave spiders.|
|TU12||Cave spiders now swim extremely fast with the water stream toward the player, but seem to be almost motionless against the water stream.|
|Cave spiders can now climb ice blocks.|
|1.90||The texture of cave spiders has been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added cave spiders.|
- While a cave spider's hitbox is only 13.9% the volume of a normal spider's, its model's volume is 34.3% as large. The shadow is even larger: compared to the normal spider's shadow it has an area of 49%.
- This is the only mob that can be instantly killed by a direct hit from a tier 2 Splash potion of harming (Instant Damage II) due to its health being the same as the damage dealt.
A cave spider and its spawner.
The health bar turns yellow-green when bitten by a cave spider.
Size comparison between a cave spider and a regular spider in a dungeon.
Picture of cave spider going through a 1×1×0.5 block.
Another cave spider farm generated in a mineshaft.
A group of cave spiders trying to swim after the player in a mineshaft.
In other media
Lego Minecraft Cave Spider.