A carrot is a food item that, when eaten, will restore 1.5 hunger points.
Carrots can be planted by placing the carrot itself in a Farmland block, as they do not have seeds. When planted, a carrot grows much like Wheat. However, it has only four stages of growth, instead of eight. A carrot can be instantly converted into a fully-grown plant by using Bonemeal, much like other crops. Using carrots on two Pigs or Rabbits in close proximity will trigger breeding. Carrots can be crafted into a handful of useful items, including a Carrot on a Stick or Golden Carrot (crafting recipes below).
- Carrots take up less space than a large field of wheat, and gathering more than a full stack of carrots may only require as few as a 6x4 plot compared to Bread, which requires a 1×3 wheat for one piece of bread.
- Carrots have a higher saturation level than most other crops.
- Carrots are used to breed pigs, rabbits, and chickens, as technically, carrots are a seed. However, chickens will not follow one if equipped with a carrot, they will only follow if wheat seeds are equipped.
- Carrots do not require Crafting or cooking to get the most out of them.
- Carrots can be harder to find since they can only be found on villages or by a rare drop from zombies.
|Golden Carrot||Carrot on a Stick|
|Gold Nugget||Gold Nugget||Gold Nugget||None||None||None|
|Gold Nugget||Carrot||Gold Nugget||Fishing Rod||None||None|
|Gold Nugget||Gold Nugget||Gold Nugget||None||Carrot||None|
or Red Mushroom
- The carrots had a different texture before update 1.4. They appeared as several carrots in a bunch, and were originally called "carrots". The name was eventually changed to the singular "carrot" and the texture was also changed to a single carrot.
- Carrots and Wheat look identical on their first stage of growth.
- Before update 1.8, carrots restored 2 hunger points when eaten.
- Carrots can be hard to come by, in worlds generated before update 1.4.2, as villages were much less common.
- Even though horses like carrots in real life, they don't like carrots in Minecraft.