Campfires can be crafted (See recipe below), but they can be found in some Village houses, acting as a chimney.
- A source of Light
- A decorative fireplace, which will not spread to other blocks
- Cooks up to four Food items (slowly), include:
- Can act as a smoke signal (if a hay bale is used) or a marker to a player's base.
- Placing a campfire underneath a Bee Hive/Bee Nest allows a player to collect Honey without angering the Bees.
- Campfires can deal damage to Mobs, even if underwater, with the exceptions of Guardians and Shulkers.
Players can light a campfire to create a "cozy" light source. They originally emitted a light level of 9, but as of snapshot 19w03c, campfires now emit a light level of 15. The fire can also be put out at any time.A Hay Bale can be placed directly under a campfire block to create smoke signals, which can be seen from very far away, increasing smoke height from 10 blocks to 25 blocks.
Campfires can also be used to cook food, although it takes longer for it to cook than if a Furnace or Smoker is used. The progress of the food cooking is not displayed, and the food will pop out of the campfire once cooked.
|Stripped Log||Stripped Log||Stripped Log|
Note: The stripped log variants cannot be mixed and must be the same variant.
Campfires were revealed as a possible addition in the lead-up to the Minecon Earth. Viewers were encouraged to vote for one of three existing Biomes during the livestream, and the one with the most votes would be updated with various additions.
In an animated video, developers Jens Bergensten and Agnes Larsson revealed campfires as a feature of a taiga update, if it were to get the most votes (Sweet Berry Bushes, and Foxes were also mentioned).
Following the Minecon Earth livestream, Mojang announced the winner in a Twitter post:
"The winner of the MINECON Earth biome vote is Taiga!!!
Foxes, berries and campfires coming to an Overworld near you!"
- If a player dies from being on a campfire, then the death message will say: "discovered the floor is lava". This is the same death message that appears when a player dies while standing on Magma Blocks.
- The April Fools special in 2019, Minecraft 3D, features campfires.
- Fishermen Villagers have a chance to sell campfires in exchange for Emeralds.
- The original texture of the campfire had a burning animation while the player held it.
- Campfires can be relit into many other ways other than using Flint and Steel. Some of them can be done through Fire Charges, or by using a Bow enchanted with Flame.
- Campfires will not be extinguished by Rain, but can be extinguished if Water runs over it or if splashed with a Splash Water Bottle.
- Animals that drop meat will not drop the cooked versions of their meat when they die on the campfire.
- It takes 30 seconds for food to cook on a campfire.
- You can cook up to four pieces of food at a time on a campfire.
- Putting a campfire underneath a hive will not make bees attack you when you are collecting Honey. This is similar to a tool that is used in real life, which is called a bee smoker.