Cake is a food produced through crafting which can be placed on a solid surface, giving the ability for any player to consume. Once it is placed, it cannot be recollected with the use of a Silk Touch pickaxe nor with Shears.
Cake stands 1/4 lower than a regular block. It has white icing and a red cherry-like topping. It restores per use and has a total amount of seven uses. Cake does not drop when broken. Cake can't be eaten like other foods such as Cookies and Enchanted Apples; instead, it can only be eaten by clicking on it whilst it is placed. As of Minecraft 1.8, if one places a redstone comparator next to cake, one can get up to Redstone PL 14, 2 for each slice. This is used on 1.8 maps and minigames, and trolling on multiplayer with TNT. Cake can fill up 1 level of a Compost, and can be eaten by pandas when dropped.
Cake is made with an egg, three buckets of milk, two sugar, and three wheat. If a player eats a cake once, it will appear to be cut into thirds or sixths. Crafting a cake will award one with the achievement "The Lie" (it's usually required to earn the achievement "Time to Farm" first), which is a reference to the game, Portal.
- On the console versions, the texture pack "Candy" allows different types of cake.
- Cake can be used as a form of decoration (i.e. flooring or design).
- Cake makes the same sound as wool being placed or broken.
- Cake is the only food that has to be placed in order for players to eat it.
- A player can eat each slice almost instantly, and it recovers about 1 hunger bar.
- The block with the ID 92 resembles a cake that has been placed.
- Cakes are not stackable on the PC edition, but they are on the Minecraft: Bedrock Edition.
- In early versions, when a player crafted a cake, the three buckets were also used up, which made it very expensive to make.
- Farmer villagers will sell a cake for an emerald at their Master level.
- It is unknown where the cherry-like topping of a cake came from while crafting it, as there are no ingredients that have similarity to the toppings.
- The new texture of the cake has a swirl and an extra topping on top.
- There are 7 slices in the Cake, and when eaten, the slices will always decrease in the west direction.
- When Cake is pushed with a piston, the cake will completely disappear.
- When used with a Redstone Comparator, a Cake will produce a Redstone signal strength of 14, strength decreasing by 2 per slice eaten.