Cake stands 1/4 lower than a regular block. It has white icing and a red cherry-like topping. It is quite easy to craft for experienced players. It restores per use and has a total amount of seven uses. Cake does not drop when broken. Cake can't be eaten like other foods such as Cookies and Enchanted Apples; instead, it can only be eaten by clicking on it whilst it is placed. As of Minecraft 1.8, if one places a redstone comparator next to cake, one can get up to Redstone PL 14, 2 for each slice. This is used on 1.8 maps and minigames, and trolling on multiplayer with TNT. Cake also can fill up 1 level of a Compost.
Cake is made with an egg, three buckets of milk, two sugar, and three wheat. If a player eats a cake once, it will appear to be cut into thirds or sixths. Crafting a cake will award one with the achievement "The Lie" (it's usually required to earn the achievement "Time to Farm" first), which is a reference to the game, Portal. Various maps have the phrases "Your cake is waiting" and "The cake is a lie".
- On the console versions, the texture pack "Candy" allows different types of cake.
- Cake can be used as a form of decoration (i.e. flooring).
- Cake makes the same sound as wool being placed.
- Cake is the only food that can be eaten when placed.
- Cake cannot be retrieved by shears or a tool enchanted with silk touch once it has been placed.
- A player can eat each slice almost instantly, and it recovers about 1 hunger bar.
- The block with the ID 92 resembles a cake that has been placed.
- Cakes are not stackable on the PC edition, but they are on the Console and Pocket Edition.
- Cakes will replenish a total of 7 hunger points when all of the slices are eaten.
- In early versions, when a player crafted a cake, the three buckets were also used up, which made it very expensive to make.
- Farmer Villagers will sell a cake for an Emerald.
- A Panda will walk up to a dropped cake and eat it the same way as it did with bamboo, only it will produce a different particle mess as if it is being eaten by hand.
- Placing a cake into a Composter will raise its level by 1.
- It is unknown where the cherry-like topping of a cake came from in crafting it, as there are no ingredients that have a similarity to the toppings.