Buffet is a world type in which the entire Overworld consists of one biome, including Single Biome, Caves, and Floating Islands. They are considered a substitute for the old customized world type. By comparison, the Buffet world types are simple to customize.
There are three world types as parts of Buffet:
- Single Biome: Uses the regular generation settings in Overworld: the world generates with a bedrock floor at the Y=0 lower height limit, and the rest of the terrain is generated on top of it. However, there is only one biome in Overworld, which is selected by the player.
- Caves: Uses generation settings that are similar to those of Nether in Overworld. The world generates with a bedrock floor at the Y=0 lower height limit and a bedrock ceiling at Y=127, and the world is generated in between these two like a giant cave complex, much like the Nether. Like other Buffet world types, this world type makes Overworld only have one selected biome.
- Floating Islands: Uses generation settings that are similar to those of End outer islands in Overworld. There is no bedrock ceiling or floor to the world, and the entire Overworld is generated in the shape of a series of floating islands, much like the End outer islands. Like other Buffet world types, this world type makes Overworld only have one selected biome.
Buffet world types allow the player to choose a biome that the world uses in generating terrain of Overworld. Biome choice determines things such as terrain, vegetation, generated structures (if applicable), and to some extent, mob spawning. Buffet worlds can be customized to use any one of the available biomes and use only that particular biome for the entire world. The player can choose any of the existing biomes, including technical biomes (such as different End island types and Mutant biomes) and biomes that do not generate naturally.
Attempting to use custom biomes from Data Packs causes a crash.
|1.13||18w16a||Added Buffet world type. At this time, the world generation options were "Overworld" and "End".|
|18w19a||Added the "Caves" generation option.|
|Changed the "Overworld" generator option to "Surface", and changed the "End" option to "Floating Islands".|
|Before this snapshot, players could change the level.dat's generatorOptions tag to |
|pre4||Biome names are now sorted alphabetically in the Buffet menu.|
|1.16||20w21a||The world generator types are now world type values instead of being an option in the Buffet world type.|
|Renamed "Surface" generator to "Single Biome".|
|1.17||21w06a||Caves and Floating Islands worlds now make use of the full height of the world.|
- If used with Floating Islands world type, biomes that would normally contain underground generated structures, such as mineshafts, strongholds or fossils, sometimes have the structures spawn floating freely away from the islands.
- Generating an Overworld biome with Floating Islands world type can simulate what the Sky Dimension or Indev map type floating might have looked like.
- Ocean biomes created using Floating Islands generation spawn with lots of floating water in the shape of caves.
- Deep Ocean biomes created using Floating Islands generation can spawn the player into empty space and immediately drop them into the void, making such worlds unplayable in Survival.
- Depending on the biome, the bedrock ceiling of the Caves world type may have holes in it, due to the generation of lakes or other structures. Players who manage to make their way above the bedrock ceiling can find generated structures such as Villages and Ruined Portals.
- The Caves world type is nearly uninhabitable, because in addition to the perpetual darkness causing hostile mobs to spawn continuously in normal Overworld biomes, trees never spawn regardless of biome, and therefore wood is obtainable only from structures that generate with it.
- If used with Floating Islands world generation, diamond and redstone ores are extremely hard to spawn as few islands reach down as far as Y=15, the topmost level at which these ores spawn.
- If the Nether or The End is used as the world generation, then the sky would appear, as if it is a mixture of the Overworld and the dimensions.