Partial (blocks light, mob spawning possible)
|Catches fire from lava||
|Block||Block of Redstone|
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
|Redstone Dust||Block of Redstone|
To place a block of redstone, use the Place Block control.
Blocks of redstone are always active and cannot be turned off. A block of redstone:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust, including above or below, to power level 15
- powers any adjacent redstone comparators or redstone repeaters facing away from the block of redstone to power level 15
- activates any adjacent mechanism components (doors, redstone lamps, etc.), including above or below, with the exception of pistons, which cannot be activated by any power source directly in front of them
Adjacent opaque blocks are not powered.
If a redstone torch is attached to a block of redstone, it deactivates after 1 redstone tick and does not reactivate (which is normal behavior for a redstone torch attached to a powered block).
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Once the block has broken||1.0||1.2||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||1.25||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.25||0.75||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||When the block is placed||1.0||1.2||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.5||16|
|?||?||Once the block has broken||?||1.2|
|?||?||Falling on the block with fall damage||?||?|
|?||?||While the block is in the process of being broken||?||0.75|
|?||?||Jumping from the block||?||?|
|?||?||Falling on the block without fall damage||?||?|
|?||?||Walking on the block||?||?|
|?||?||When the block is placed||?||1.2|
|Block of Redstone||Block & Item|
|Name||Identifier||Numeric ID||Form||Item ID[i 1]||Translation key|
|Block of Redstone||Block & Giveable Item[i 2]||Identical[i 3]|
- ID of block's direct item form, which is used in savegame files and addons.
- Available with
- The block's direct item form has the same id with the block.
|1.5||13w01a||Added blocks of redstone.|
|The unused locked chest texture has been changed to have a block of redstone texture on the side, due to the redstone block taking up its texture space.|
|1.8||14w02a||Mobs now suffocate inside of the redstone block.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 152.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of blocks of redstone has now been changed.|
|1.16||20w10a||Blocks of redstone can now support ladders and tripwire hooks.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.19||22w13a||Blocks of redstone can now be found within redstone circuits in ancient cities.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.11.0||build 1||Added blocks of redstone.|
|The only purpose of blocks of redstone is to store redstone dust.|
|v0.13.0||build 1||Redstone blocks now have an unspecified proper purpose.|
|1.10.0||beta 126.96.36.199||The texture of blocks of redstone has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added blocks of redstone.|
|1.90||The texture of blocks of redstone has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added blocks of redstone.|
- As the block of redstone is not fully opaque, chests can be opened when covered by one and so can shulker boxes.