The Block of Coal is a block that was added in the 13w18a snapshot. Like other blocks of its kind, it is a compact way to store the material. It may also be used as a building block. However, it is less appealing than other compacted ores.
|Block of Coal||Coal x9 |
|Coal||Coal||Coal||None||Block of Coal||None|
A Block of Coal requires a pickaxe to harvest, otherwise it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- ↑ Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
- Being able to smelt 80 items, the coal block is the second best fuel source, and by far the best fuel source with a full stack used (5,120 items per stack). It is only second to a bucket of lava.
- When first introduced in Minecraft 1.6 snapshots, it had a recolored "Block of Redstone" texture, which was soon changed to what is was later, then retextured again.
- Coal blocks were also implemented in the Minecraft 2.0 April Fools update.
- Coal blocks cannot be seen in light level 3 or below. This is the same with black concrete.