Many features have been mentioned for inclusion in in Bedrock Edition.
This page documents features that have been mentioned but are not yet in the game. Features in development versions are described on the parent version page.
- 1 Planned
- 2 Partially implemented
- 3 Mentioned
- 4 From Java Edition
- 5 References
Mojang plans to implement the following features, although a particular version has not been announced.
A new graphics engine called RenderDragon is planned to be added. It adds more graphics options and improves the performance of the game. Bedrock on Windows 10, Android (currently only for devices that runs on ARMv7)[upcoming: BE 1.17.40], PS4 and Xbox One, currently run on RenderDragon.
Minecraft may be ported to Xbox Series X|S, which would support ray tracing.
Frogs and tadpoles
On January 5, 2016, Tommaso tweeted that it might be cool to add frogs. On the Minecraft Feedback site Mojang announced that the idea for frogs and tadpoles would be implemented. The player who suggested the idea said that players could get poisoned by hitting them with bare hands, and that they would drop frog legs as another way to make potions of leaping. Frogs were mentioned again at MINECON Live 2019, as part of the swamp update. However, tadpoles were not mentioned and no specific mechanics were given, so it's unknown how similar they will be to the feedback suggestion.
Originally announced for the Caves & Cliffs update, development of this gameplay feature was delayed for a future version. Archaeology will involve players being able to use a new tool known as the Brush to sweep away Dirt and Gravel in order to discover artifacts. Among these artifacts are Ceramic Shards, which can be incorporated into Clay Pots to make Painted Clay Pots.
In Java Edition 1.13, many IDs were changed, and numerical IDs were removed. This process, known as The Flattening, is also planned for Bedrock Edition. Certain items and blocks will be added as well such as spectral arrows and air variants.
Fletching table functionality
- Deserts will be given palm trees, oases, and meerkats.
- Savannas will be given baobab trees, termites, and ostriches.
- Badlands will be given vultures, tumbleweed, and a new cactus based on the Prickly Pear.
- Swamps will be given frogs, mangrove trees, and boats with chests.
These features had been shown by a Mojang staff member, but either had no further development or were canceled shortly after.
On September 19, 2014, Tommaso stated that when adding boats to Pocket Edition, he would add a "paddle" item, which would be required to move boats. Paddles were never implemented as items, but rather as part of the boat model. Additionally, the crafting recipe requires a wooden shovel to represent the paddle in Bedrock Edition. It is not part of the crafting recipe in Java edition.
Minecart with Furnace
These features were mentioned at one point, but later abandoned or their current status is unknown. Note that some of these features were mentioned by developers who either no longer work at Mojang, or Minecraft.
There have been a number of mentioned changes to world generation from the developers. Tommasso had planned a Far biome (probably changed Far Lands, made into its own biome), found at the edge of infinite worlds was going to be implemented in 0.9.0 but was delayed for unknown reasons. He also proposed a unique underworld underground structure and a dream dimension, however none of these ideas came to fruition.
Tommaso stated on Reddit that he would like to add a "difficulty" number that mobs could have depending on their circumstances, such as resource that it spawns from and weather. This would vary the amount of hostile mobs at night and the amount of resources gained from each biome. He also stated that he would like more biome-specific mobs as well as biomes with specific difficulty/mob distributions.
Many of these ideas were reiterated again at MINECON 2016, where the developers stated they could either port the world generation changes from PC or create a new world generation altogether. They said this new world generation system could have a better progression over time with harder biomes further from spawn, more space underground (added in Caves & Cliffs), possibly raising the sea level to y=96 and making the terrain less predictable (also added in Caves & Cliffs).
At MINECON 2016, the developers mentioned potential future improvements to the controls to make them vector-based, allowing full mouse support on Android (added in 1.17.0) and having better in-built controller support.
In addition, at a previous panel, they also mentioned the ability to remap long touch to hardness-based touch (3D Touch) for capable iPhones.
In a Twitch stream previewing the Nintendo Switch version, the developers mentioned that they would like to look into adding motion-controlled aiming, but currently have no plans to add it.
Other world sizes
Tommasso stated on reddit that they may make other limited world sizes available, in addition to the current Old world type (256×256). Mentioned world sizes were 1000×1000 and 10000×10000. The addition of different world sizes was again mentioned at MINECON 2016.
Loading external files on console
Roger Carpenter talked about this in a stream of the 1.2 beta for Xbox One. They would like for the console versions to support the loading of files from external media such as a USB stick. This would allow the use of Add-Ons, custom worlds, skins and resource packs, etcetera, like on the other platforms. However, console companies are worried about "security issues" that this could cause. Other games that loaded content from external media have sometimes been exploited by hackers to run unauthorized code on consoles. If loading Add-Ons from external media is not an option, they will "work it out some other way". (Partially added with full Add-On and Behavior Packs support for Xbox One)
These features were briefly mentioned, but no further information was given after that.
- Mentioned in 2016
- Villages generated on swamp biomes with cobblestone roads
- Mentioned in 2018
- Nether pearls
More specific features
- Mentioned in 2013
- Demo/lite version re-release
- Partially implemented with the release of Minecraft Trial in the Google Play Store.
- Mentioned in 2015
- Minecraft for Google Cardboard.
- The following mobs were mentioned in a Q&A session, which although far fetched were tossed around – penguins and wizards (but not spell-casting).
- Smoother auto-jump/auto-climb
From Java Edition
- Hardcore mode
- Spectator mode
- Sharing worlds on all Bedrock Edition versions
- Mojang account sync on Bedrock Edition (i.e. being able to use Mojang account for skins etc.)
- However, this will not be accomplished as Java Edition itself is moving to Microsoft account from 2021.
- More off-hand slot items (eg. torches, food).
- Java Edition 1.9 combat mechanics
- More commands
- Banner map markers.
- "You will have more graphics options but if you're expecting your game to look exactly like the videos from a few years ago, that's not going to happen because that's a resource pack. Your game will look the same as it does not but run better- that's the goal of a graphics engine." – @HelenAngel on Twitter, June 22, 2019
- "We're still working on RenderDragon, the new graphics engine for Bedrock that also drives Minecraft Earth. Check the pic if you want proof that RenderDragon is still in development." – @HelenAngel on Twitter, June 20, 2019
- "If there were frogs in #MCPE, they would now be rejoicing..." – @argo_major on Twitter, January 5, 2016
- "It will not be like last year where one biome gets updated but the rest don't- instead the vote is just choosing which biome will get updated first but all of those biomes will get updated." – u/HelenAngel on Reddit, September 17, 2018
- "We haven't forgot about them :)" – @_LadyAgnes on Twitter, September 17, 2019
- "I think it's pretty cool, those huge "underworlds" are scary & buildable :) But we have no time to polish them, so perhaps 9.1!" – @_tomcc on Twitter, March 14, 2014
- https://twitch.tv/mojang/v/19541608, October 7, 2015
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILG2fSzunJ0  October 21, 2016
- "Had a feeling of being followed for a while. Finally got proof. Restraining order has been filed. Pls report if seen" – @argo_major on Twitter, January 24, 2016
- "In MCPE news, working on Oculus this week, specifically on autoclimb. It means that the player should follow the terrain like a minecart!" – @_tomcc on Twitter, November 30, 2015
- "#minecraft – Official Minecraft Discord" by HelenAngel. "Spectator mode is coming to Bedrock"
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruf6tvqsD84 , May 4, 2014
- "@MC_News_Germany @Negeerbeerr Yep, it will be added to MCPE eventually, we just need to figure out the best way to do shields on touch" – @jeb_ on Twitter, March 21, 2017
- "[Are advancements also coming to pocket?] Yes" – @Dinnerbone on Twitter, March 29, 2017
- "We're still working on the command implementation in Bedrock. More will come." – @slicedlime on Twitter, July 1, 2017
|Legacy Console Edition|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|