Caves & Cliffs: Part II
November 30, 2021
1.18.0, the release of Caves & Cliffs: Part II, is a major update to Bedrock Edition released on November 30, 2021. It was first announced alongside the release of the Java Edition 1.17 snapshot 21w15a when Mojang Studios stated the Caves & Cliffs update would be split in two. Features from 1.18.0 were being developed alongside 1.17.0 through Experimental Gameplay. This is the third major update for Bedrock Edition that is split into several updates since Village & Pillage in 2019.
- Added a new music disc from Lena Raine titled "otherside".
- Completely overhauled.
- Now stretch down to Y=-59.
- The caves now generate in 2 layers of different stone bases depending on the depth.
- The layer above Y=0 is made up of regular stone.
- Stone transitions to deepslate from Y=0 to Y=-7.
- Deepslate completely replaces stone from Y=-8 to bedrock.
- Biomes such as the dripstone caves and lush caves now generate in the underground.
- Contain aquifers, bodies of water with different heights, independent of sea level (Y=63).
- Aquifers below Y=0 sometimes generate with lava instead of water.
- Improved old caves to blend in with the new generations of caves better
- New noise caves, coming in 3 forms, "cheese", "spaghetti", and "noodle".
- Cheese caves have large stone towers stretching from the bottom of the cave to the top, and are often large enough to allow safe elytra flight.
- Spaghetti caves are long, thin caves that have small aquifers and are more similar to original caves.
- Noodle caves are thinner, squigglier, and more claustrophobic variants of spaghetti caves.
- Come in 6 sub-biomes:
- A grassy elevated biome that looks like a flowery and colder plains, with an aqua grass color and dark blue water color.
- Generates in plateaus and the lowest layers of some mountains, usually near plains and other temperate biomes.
- Contains grass, tall grass, dandelions, azure bluets, cornflowers, poppies, daisies and alliums
- Birch and oak trees can rarely appear in this biome, and always have bee nests.
- Only rabbits, donkeys, and sheep spawn in this biome.
- Plains villages and pillager outposts can generate in this biome.
- Snowy Slopes
- Jagged Peaks
- Frozen Peaks
- Stony Peaks
- Long and rare ore formations.
- Copper ore veins mixed with granite and blocks of raw copper generate above Y=0.
- Iron ore veins mixed with tuff and blocks of raw iron generate below Y=0.
- Upgrading of old worlds
- Terrain from new chunks now blend with existing terrain from old chunks. Any player-made structures in these chunks are either intact, buried, or deteriorated.
- The old bedrock layer between Y=0 and Y=4 in old chunks gets replaced with deepslate.
- If there is bedrock at Y=0, lower places in old chunks are filled with deepslate and caves.
- A new bedrock layer is placed at Y=-64.
- Version exclusive: Added 4 new achievements:
- Caves & Cliffs - Freefall from the top of the world (build limit) to the bottom of the world and survive (30G)
- Feels Like Home - Take a Strider for a loooong ride on a lava lake in the Overworld (20G)
- Sound of Music - Make the Meadows come alive with the sound of music from a jukebox (10G)
- Star Trader - Trade with a villager at the world height limit (20G)
- Added new music to the Overworld (when playing in survival mode), distributed to the new biomes, and to the main menu.
- By Lena Raine: "Stand Tall", "Left to Bloom", "One More Day", "Wending" and "Infinite Amethyst":
- "Stand Tall" plays in the snowy slopes, jagged peaks, frozen peaks and stony peaks biomes, as well as the menu screen.
- "Left to Bloom" plays in the meadow and lush caves biomes, as well as the menu screen.
- "One More Day" plays in the meadow, snowy slopes and lush caves biomes, as well as the menu screen.
- "Wending" plays in the grove, jagged peaks, stony peaks and dripstone caves biomes, as well as the menu screen.
- "Infinite Amethyst" plays in the grove and dripstone caves biomes, as well as the menu screen.
- By Kumi Tanioka (谷岡 久美): "Floating Dream", "Comforting Memories" and "An Ordinary Day":
- "Floating Dream" plays in the jagged peaks and lush caves biomes.
- "Comforting Memories" plays in the grove biome.
- "An Ordinary Day" plays in the snowy slopes, dripstone caves and lush caves biomes.
- By Lena Raine: "Stand Tall", "Left to Bloom", "One More Day", "Wending" and "Infinite Amethyst":
- Now drop 2-5 Raw Copper when mining instead of 2-3.
- Slightly increased the frequency of underwater magma.
- Block of Copper can be converted to 4 Cut Copper using stonecutter.
- Now spawn only in water from Y=50 to Y=64.
- Additionally, tropical fishes now also spawn in lush caves at any height.
- Now can spawn in aquifers inside dripstone caves.
- Now spawn only in water blocks under Y=30.
- Hostile mobs spawn only in areas where the light level is equal to 0.
- This change affects only block-light and not sky-light.
- Now generate up to Y=30.
- Now can generate in mountain peaks.
- Red sand generates a bit higher.
- Beaches are generally wider.
- In some places there is a chance where no beaches generate at all, to provide some variation.
- Because the terrain height is no longer controlled by biomes, the following sub-biomes no longer generate naturally and become unused in the game:
- As a result of this change:
- All deserts are now eligible for village and desert pyramid generation.
- All taigas are now eligible for village and outpost generation.
- All swamps are now eligible for swamp hut generation.
- All snowy taigas are now eligible for igloo generation.
- Worlds made in previous versions that generated these biomes will be converted into their default variants.
- Now generate naturally underground and inside hills or mountains.
- Drowned can spawn in aquifers inside dripstone caves.
- Increased the amount of dungeons, especially below Y=0.
- Water lakes were removed, because aquifers could provide local water levels.
- Now generate naturally underground and inside hills or mountains.
- Azalea trees now generate above lush caves.
- Mineshaft pieces no longer generate if they were fully floating in the air.
- Corridors now generate with wooden logs as pillars for support, or chains and oak fences as hanging support if needed.
- Cobwebs no longer generate floating without an adjacent block.
- Now generate higher up in badlands.
- Ocean biomes temperatures now match land biome temperatures:
- Frozen oceans now generate only within snowy taigas or snowy plains, as well as snowy beaches.
- Cold oceans now generate only within taigas, old growth taigas and some plains and forests.
- Normal oceans now generate only within plains, forests, birch forests and dark forests.
- Lukewarm oceans now generate only within savannas, jungles and sometimes plains and forests.
- Warm oceans now generate only within deserts or badlands.
- Warm ocean biomes now generate in deep waters.
- Ore distribution
- Changed ore generation of all ores making them have a spread value like lapis lazuli ore. Some still retain a linear generation alongside a spread generation.
- Coal ore attempts to generate twice: once, evenly between an altitude of Y=136 and Y=256; and as a spread, peaking at an altitude of Y=96 and generating between an altitude of Y=0 and Y=192.
- Copper ore generates between Y=-16 and Y=112, generating the most at Y=48 and like all other ores, uses spread. It peaks at Y=48. Bigger blobs of copper ore generate in dripstone caves.
- Iron ore attempts to generate three times: once as a spread peaking at an altitude of Y=256, generating above Y=80; another as a spread peaking at Y=16 and generating with a minimum height of Y=-24 and a maximum height of Y=57, and a smaller one spreading evenly between the altitudes of Y=-64 and Y=-32.
- Gold ore generates between the altitudes of Y=-64 and Y=32, peaking at Y=-16. Also, extra gold generates below Y=-48. The extra gold that generates in the badlands biome was increased, with a top height limit from Y=79 to Y=256, and increased number of blobs.
- Lapis lazuli ore attempts to generate twice: once, as a spread between the altitudes of Y=32 and Y=-32, peaking at an altitude of 0; and evenly between the altitudes of Y=64 and Y=-64, generating buried like ancient debris.
- Redstone ore attempts to generate twice: once, evenly between an altitude of Y=15 and Y=-64; and as a spread, peaking at an altitude of -64 and generating below an altitude of Y=-32.
- Diamond ore now generate as a spread, generating below Y=16 and peaking at altitudes near Y=-64.
- Emerald ore generates above Y=-16 as a spread, peaking at Y=256 and decreasing in quantity as the altitude decreases.
- Now generate in all the new mountain biomes.
- Lava springs can now generate amid calcite, dirt, snow, powder snow and packed ice.
- These changes allow lava springs to generate in mountains and snowy terrain.
- Water springs don't generate higher than Y=192, and are less common.
- Now generate with strips of gravel.
- Can generate alongside any biome instead of just extreme hills.
- Now generate in meadows.
- The overworld now uses the multi-noise biome source type.
- Terrain generation is now independent from biomes, with biomes adapting to whatever terrain they happen to generate throughout.
- Terrain is now smoother and more extreme.
- New random number generator is used for overworld generation.
- Vindicators can no longer spawn in patrols.
- Changed raid boss bar colour from pink to red.
- Raid mobs now despawn after a raid ends if the players move too far away
- Hero of the Village effect now applies to all players who helped kill a raider once a raid is defeated, and the effect remains on the players, even if they travel outside the village.
- Raised cloud level from 128 to 192.
- Has been increased to 384 blocks, expanding 64 blocks up and 64 blocks down, with 319 being the limit upward and -64 being the limit downward.
- Main menu background is changed to reflect Caves & Cliffs: Part II update.
- Removed the Old world types.
- Existing world with old world types are playable, but do not get updated with 1.18 features.
- Performance / Stability
- Fixed several crashes that could occur during gameplay
- Fixed a crash that could occur when loading certain world chunks ( )
- Fixed a crash that could occur when going through portals with tamed pets ( )
- Optimized the time it takes to place Vines in the Overworld during world generation
- Replaced the missing "Always Day" option in world settings ( )
- Players with higher than recommended render distance settings are now prompted to change it to the recommended value
- Render distance default and max settings have been updated for better performance, including improvements to the slider in video settings
- A prompt now warns players that they get taken back to the main menu if they sign-in while in-game
- Increased Realm upload and download timeouts to 15 minutes
- Corrected Portal locations when the Portal was moved but the location was not updated ( )
- Hero of the Village effect now applies to all players who helped kill a raider once a raid is defeated, and the effect remains on the players, even if they travel outside the village ( )
- Fixed an issue where terrain could be seen through
- Fixed player hitbox not resetting after gliding with Elytra ( )
- Fixed player flight with Elytra being cancelled when hitting a wall and taking damage ( )
- Mobs can now path over trapdoors
- Fixed issues with mobs and entities disappearing from chunks ( )
- Mobs no longer walk through campfires ( )
- Axolotls now animate correctly when airborne ( )
- Sweet Berry Bushes now damage mobs, with the exception of foxes ( , )
- Mobs no longer try to path through sweet berry bushes
- The riding position of llamas no longer shifts after being tamed ( )
- Raid mobs now despawn after a raid ends, if the player moves too far away
- Vindicators no longer naturally spawn in Illager Patrols
- Lightning bolts no longer have shadows ( )
- Fish now attempt to avoid axolotls
- Magma cubes are now correctly aggressive toward iron golems, and slimes are no longer aggressive toward snow golems ( )
- Phantoms should now be able to free themselves after getting stuck when trying to pathfind into mountains ( )
- Villagers keep following their schedules in worlds that have been ticking for a very long time, and when game time is negative ( )
- Education Edition: NPCs no longer have idle sounds ( )
- Breaking a block below fire no longer creates an invisible fire block when the 'doFireTick' gamerule is disabled ( )
- Players can once again continuously place water, lava, and Powder Snow by holding down the 'Place' button ( )
- Light blocks no longer support blocks that need support, e.g. Beds and Paintings ( )
- Light blocks now survive a TNT or Creeper explosion
- All ground vegetation can now be placed on Mycelium ( )
- Fixed shallow water turning brighter when aimed at while holding a Small Drip Leaf ( )
- Tall flowers now drop only one item when broken by water placed in the upper half of the flower ( )
- Campfires no longer drop only one Charcoal when broken by a Piston or an explosion, instead dropping two units as expected ( )
- In the Stonecutter, a Block of Copper can now be crafted into four Cut Copper ( )
- Copper Ore now drops 2-5 (from 2-3) Raw Copper items ( )
- Nether Sprouts can once again generate when using Bone Meal on Warped Nylium ( )
- Snow Grass Block and all types of Snow blocks now use similar colors ( )
- Fixed Leaf Blocks not remaining transparent when surrounded by partial blocks such as Buttons or Slabs ( , )
- Fixed face culling of blocks placed below Leaf blocks, fixing an x-ray effect
- Adjusted the smoothness of movement for Primed TNT, Lingering Potions, Splash Potions, and Bottle o' Enchanting when far from players ( )
- Fire Charges are no longer consumed when used on lit Candles, Candle Cakes, Campfires, activated Nether Portals, or on other blocks that are already on fire
- Multiple Education Edition items no longer show the "craftingScreen.tab.none" tooltip ( )
- Ender Pearls can no longer generate as Glow Sticks in Woodland Mansion chests ( )
- Added missing screen reader on the "Controller lost connection" prompt
- The Carved Pumpkin enchantment glint now covers just the item instead of the entire slot
- Fixed a bug that could occur on older worlds where looking up in a Minecart would display the inside of the Minecart, blocking the player's view
- Updated item rendering so enchanted are no longer be invisible in the Nether ( )
- Fixed a visual glitch where taking a plant from a Flower Pot would result in the plant still being rendered ( )
- Water drips now trigger splash effects
- Shield blocking animation now plays smoothly ( )
- User Interface
- Fixed Java Edition parity while lying in bed in multiplayer game. A message shows how many players are lying in bed while waiting for all players to fall asleep
- Updated the "out of storage" message with additional clarity when a device is out of storage for saving new worlds
- The raid boss bar color has changed from purple to red, matching Java Edition ( )
- Raid boss bars now decrease whenever a raider takes damage
- Structure Blocks can now be saved and loaded properly within current dimension height limits ( )
- All setting changes made to a new world are carried over when creating it on a new Realm
- Renamed some occurrences of "level" in the user interface to the more accurate "world"
- The store update prompt no longer appears for no internet connection or session start failure
- Improved the error messaging in the Play screen when Microsoft Account permissions are set to block multiplayer
- Fixed an issue where searching for non-existent content brought up the incorrect "1 result" message
- Fixed overlapping text on Marketplace offerings occurring on 4:3 resolution screens
- Fixed the rendering of the icons in text, making the colors not appear distorted
- Players are disconnected if server and client have different Runtime Block IDs
- Fixed a rendering error that could occur when attempting to render a Vanilla mob in a base game version prior to the version that mob was introduced through JSON files
- Most content errors and warnings now display once per world ( )
- Improved performance in 'RangedAttackGoal' for mobs that do not move
- Fixed mobs' default summonability when not specified in JSON
- Fixed a versioning error with animation controllers that was causing the wrong schema to be utilized on Marketplace worlds with an animation controller version 1.8.0
- Order of function calls triggered by '/execute' inside a function are now consistent ( )
- "Minecraft - Caves & Cliffs: Part II - 1.18.0 (Bedrock)" – Minecraft Feedback, November 30, 2021.
- "Minecraft Snapshot 21w15a" – Minecraft.net, April 14, 2021
- "Some more information about: "Monsters will only spawn in complete darkness". This means that generic monster spawning is now only in complete darkness. Mobs that have special rules like slimes or phantoms are unaffected by this." – @_Ulraf_ on Twitter
- "Minecraft 1.18 experimental snapshot" – Henrik Kniberg on YouTube, July 13, 2021