December 8, 2020
|— minecraft.net on Ray Tracing|
1.16.200 is a minor update to Bedrock Edition, released on December 8, 2020, which implements RenderDragon to Windows 10 and adds new audio settings, ray tracing features, changes to death messages and fixes bugs. This version also drops support for third party shader resource packs for Windows 10 or Console versions.
- Added the following new death messages:
- "<player> was sniped by <mob>".
- Occurs when the player is killed by a shulker bullet.
- "<player> was spitballed by <mob>".
- Occurs when the player is killed by llama spit.
- "<player> was shot by skeleton/stray/pillager/piglin".
- "<player> was impaled to death by <player/mob>".
- Replaces "...slain by Trident".
- "<player> was fireballed by <player/mob>".
- Replaces "...slain by <player/mob>" when fireballs are involved.
- "<player> was sniped by <mob>".
- Added a UI startup screen to inform players if they have outdated graphics drivers.
- Added more settings to the Audio settings to match Java Edition:
- Master Volume
- Hostile Creatures
- Friendly Creatures
- Jukeboxes/Note Blocks
- Added "Upscaling", "Ray Tracing" and "Ray Tracing Render Distance" to the Video settings, from the RTX beta (Windows 10 only). These options can only be toggled if the user has the required min-spec hardware, namely a "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series" or an "AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series" graphics card.
- Upscaling used to boost frame rates on GeForce RTX graphics cards with NVIDIA DLSS 2.0.
- Ray Tracing used to toggle the Ray Tracing on or off.
- Ray Tracing Render Distance used to control the chunk render distance ray tracing are visible at once.
- Can now be made on top of dirt, coarse dirt, mycelium, and podzol.
- Renamed from grass path to dirt path.
- Changed the texture of the worn netherite leggings model.
- Added various UI elements to communicate ray tracing capabilities in the Marketplace. (Windows 10 Only).
- Resource packs in the Marketplace are now aware of ray tracing capabilities and will display a label indicating support in the UI.
- Attempting to purchase and/or download a resource pack that requires ray tracing will notify the user of a purchasing error when that user does not have the required min-spec hardware.
- Windows 10 now uses OpenXR to support Windows MR and Oculus VR.
- Renamed "Master Volume" to "Main" in the Audio settings.
- Windows 10 now uses the new rendering engine, RenderDragon, which includes support for ray tracing.
- Now support ray tracing.
- Map Making and Add-on
- Updated templates for 1.16.200 with new resources, behaviors, and documentation.
- Old command versions now use the previous position instead of current one.
- Changed texture atlas padding size from 0 to 1 when disabling mipmap.
query.cardinal_facing_2dto get a ground plane direction that doesn't return up or down.
- Added the ability to put block models into the models/blocks folder.
- Added the ability for item triggers to send events to the block they are interacting with. (when there is one such as
- Added the ability to query the interacted face for both interactions with blocks and using
minecraft:on_use_onin an item. Face can be queried with
- Event Responses
remove_mob_effectno longer throw content errors when valid effect names are passed in.
- Added documentation for
remove_mob_effectto make creators aware they can use the value "all" in effect to remove all mob effects from a target.
- Inventory size on the minecraft:inventory component has to be increased to match the equippable slots in order for the server to accept the item placement.
- The tooltip for item with item lock component will no longer show when game rule 'showtags' is disabled.
- Vanilla Parity
- Basalt blocks can no longer be destroyed by Ghast fireballs ( ).
- Basalt blocks now take slightly more time to destroy.
- Dragon Egg now always drops as an item when it's destroyed by an explosion ( ).
- Right-clicking a snow block with a shovel no longer breaks the snow block.
- Updated the Netherite leggings texture ( ).
- Twisting Vines can no longer be placed on Composter blocks while sneaking ( ).
- Netherite Armor now gives a ninety percent reduction in Knockback ( ).
- Bees will no longer stray more than 22 blocks from their home Beehive ( ).
- Performance and Stability
Render distance has now been reduced from 22 chunks to 14 chucks on various platforms.
- Improved chunk loading speed when flying with Elytra ( )..
- Large numbers of scheduled instant updates no longer crash the game ( ).
- Fixed a crash that could occasionally occur when going through a portal or flying around in Creative mode.
- Fixed a crash that could occasionally occur while flying or moving around the game world.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when loading a local world.
- Fixed an issue where some mobile devices would lose audio after suspend and resume ( ).
- Fixed an issue that caused a crash on Nintendo Switch when trying to load a 256x resolution resource pack.
- The system now blocks that selection and notifies the player they cannot select it.
- Players that own The Founder's Cape will once again see it within the Capes tab of the Dressing Room.
- Only preview items will be shown in crafting screen when auto crafting an item on controller. This prevents rapid updates of the Recipe Book.
- Fixed the player's hand still bobbing if View Bobbing was disabled ( ).
- Fixed mobs and other entities freezing and becoming desynced with their bodies ( ).
- Villagers will no longer steal workstations from each other ( ).
- Mobs no longer randomly stop attacking and following their targets ( ).
- Piglins that are close together can no longer pick up the same item if it's dropped between them ( ).
- Update Zombified Piglin texture to remove flickering of loincloth ( ).
- Mobs no longer spawn in Wither Roses ( ).
- Bees now only exit at the front of Beehives and Bee Nests.
- Mobs are no longer teleported back and forth outside solid objects if there is not enough space for multiple entities ( ).
- Compass is no longer consumed when used on a Lodestone in Creative mode ( ).
- Glowsticks no longer use placeholder textures (Education Feature) ( , ).
- Cocoa Pods generated in Jungles now generate in the proper direction ( ).
- Signs no longer replace blocks when attempting to place in the same space as the block.
- Fixed a bug where End Portal blocks were not removed after an End Portal Frame block was destroyed. Filled blocks other than End Portal blocks will remain in place.
- Owned packs are now refreshed correctly after restarting the game when playing in VR.
- Fixed the screen reader not reading the screen title in-game.
- Fixed the screen reader not reading the shortcut button on the Pause Screen.
- Fixed the screen reader not reading the screen title and shortcut buttons on the Invite to Game Screen.
- Fixed the screen reader not reading the title on the Profile and Edit Character screens.
- Fixed the numbering of buttons on the Pause Screen being wrong when using text-to-speech.
- The Emote Wheel now supports the screen reader.
- Fixed an issue where the screen reader was not reading updates often enough on some devices.
- Fixed the screen reader so messages with controller icons in the Chat Screen are read correctly.
- The screen reader now reads the Open Chat Message while Text To Speech For Chat is turned off.
- Fixed several issues regarding text contrast in the user interface.
- Fixed an issue where the Servers tab would not correctly read text-to-speech prompts when not signed into a Microsoft account.
- Fixed various issues where text-to-speech indices on the start screen were not correct.
- Fixed issues where user interface controls would be improperly indexed in text-to-speech for popup modals.
- Reduced transparency on top row of buttons in Touch UI to improve readability.
- User Interface
- Fixed several death messages (
- "slain by Llama spit" --> "spitballed by Llama".
- "slain by shulkerBullet" --> "sniped by shulker".
- "slain by Blaze" --> "fireballed by Blaze".
- "slain by Ghast" --> "fireballed by Ghast".
- "shot by arrow" --> "shot by skeleton/stray/pillager/piglin".
- "slain by Trident" --> "was impaled to death by Trident".
- Fixed paperdoll such that it can now always be rotated with the mouse when in the Dressing Room ( ).
- "Classic Controls - Intense" font color now matches the surrounding text in VR Controls menu.
- Preview items in the crafting grid now have a different colored background depending on item availability in the inventory.
- The Player Permissions menu can once again be navigated using a controller regardless of the player’s permission level.
- [X] button in Chat Settings is no longer present when using a controller.
- Profile screen has been improved, now characters are visible and can be selected or modified as soon as they load.
- Avoid purchasing a Realm if the player cancels out of "Purchase History Needed" dialog screen.
- 'Strawberry Blonde' color now has correct name in the Character Creator ( ).
- Loading screen tips no longer display the
- Fixed the visual focus indicator disappearing in VR when hovering on tabs in VR with screen reader enabled.
- Scoreboard now displays properly on the pause screen when displaying in list mode ( ).
/playsoundcommands now play the sound correctly for all players in range.
/effectcommand duration is now capped at 1,000,000 seconds ( ).
- Add ticking area commands performed in the same tick now disallow adding areas with the same name twice.
- Placeholder text message for the
/titlerawcommand success no longer returns to player ( ).
FadeOutargument is no longer ignored in the
- Turning bandwidth optimizations off to see if it fixes stationary mob problem and entity "lag" issues ( ).
- Custom projectiles once again animate properly.
- Fixed an issue where loot tables with a
set_datafunction produced incorrect loot items.
- Fixed face occlusion with data-driven blocks to properly account for unit cube transparent vs unit cube opaque.
- Data-driven blocks no longer have their top faces rotated 180 degrees when carried or in inventory ( ).
- Fixed an issue with a runaway block ticking queue that occurred on a looping data-driven block that changed itself to a different permutation. The bug could cause memory issues, increased load and save times, as well as stalling the game periodically (No ID).
- Fixed data-driven blocks to shrink UVs the same way as actors to prevent UV bleeding (No ID).
- Fixed some culling issues with data-driven blocks larger than 1x1x1 when placed on a chunk boundary. Also added content warnings for larger blocks.
- Fixed issue where
query.cardinal_block_face_placed_onno longer worked with
- Fixed issue of blocks listed in the
minecraft:block_placercomponent not working correctly.
- Fixed player smaller hitbox while swimming and gliding from being reset after an event is sent on the player.
- Fixed custom spawn egg generation in template worlds.
- MoLang geometry, material, and texture variable names can once again contain dots.
- Items with the item lock component no longer cause the recipe book to show invalid recipe results.
- Fixed using
query.get_equipped_item_namewith an item that was renamed not returning the right result.
- Are now tied to vanilla versioning so the old name is returned if the world is tied to a specific vanilla version.
- Fixed items not being placeable in additional horse equipment slots. Does not fix all equippable behaviors.
- 1.16.200 has the highest amount of betas for any dot release and the second-highest for any update with 13 development versions, only being beaten by 1.16.0 with 18.
- "Minecraft - 1.16.200 (Bedrock)" – Minecraft Feedback, December 8, 2020.
- "About the 1.16.200 Update for Windows 10" – Minecraft Help Center, December 8, 2020.
- "My understanding is that Experimental Features only exist in Beta releases." – @MattGartzke on Twitter
- "Goats are still in the latest beta, they just can't be accessed from a full version, only betas." – @MattGartzke on Twitter
- "You'll see more 1.16 versions before seeing 1.17. Increasing the second octet is still a little ways off, even though we're still testing Caves and Cliffs features. At the end of the day, it's just a version number." – @MattGartzke on Twitter, February 25, 2021
- "Minecraft with Ray Tracing Technical Requirements" – Minecraft Help Center, December 12, 2020.